IE800 ear tips
Aug 22, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 25

Just like to report on a solution I found.
Since the Comply did not work for me, I found a company doing custom ear molds and where willing and able to integrate my IE 800 with the custom ear mold. Works fine for me now.
The company is www.ocgmbh.ch. Cost was CHF 130,-- (about 140,-- USD) plus freight.
Another company may be http://www.lear-eshop.com/products/semi-soft-material-custom-fit-ear-mold-half-mold-tips-for-sennheiser-ie800 located in Honk Kong. But living in Switzerland, the first one was a better solution for me.
You have to send us the IE800 with your ear impression for the special Custom fit ear-mold in both cases.

Hope these pointers are helpful to some looking for a solution to their IE 800.

how have these turned out for you?  Any issues with the sound?

I have the IE80 and IE800's and am thinking about custom ear molds.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 25
Why are your cables on your modded ie800s so thick? Are you sure they're genuine? The cable strain reliever just below the drivers look too short and the cable looks definitely too thick

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #18 of 25
WOW im totally an idiot haha. It's the shadow just underneath the cable that made the cable look really thick. I couldn't really tell until I looked at it closely. They're definitely genuine,  my bad haha

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #19 of 25
Hi all,

Here is the solution that has worked for me. I contacted comply foam customer service who eroneously informed me that they have a tip that works. The tips they sent me did not fit as they were too tight to fit the post...intitially...
Comply foam was very good about refunding the order immediately when I explained the issue via email.
At this point I had a free set of tips with which to experiment.

1. I used a small kitchen knife to stretch the opening of the eartip that mounts to the earphone as it is plastic and therefore malleable.
2. I inserted the tip of the knife and slowly turned in back and forth in a circular motion while gradually pushing the blade deeper into the cylinder, checking every few turns because I did not want to over street the circumference which would again render the earbud useless because it would be too loose. I also did not wish to either cut or rupture the small plastic post.
3. After 3 or four tries of gradually widening the opening, I could slip the the earbud over the post on the ie800's
4. I made sure that I seated the bud in the correct position and gave it a minute for the plastic to rebound from being stretched and therefore grip the post of the ie800s.

I did this a couple of months ago and today they are still working like a charm. Sound is great, isolation is great and they stay in.
I wrote this mod out in 4 steps for clarity, but in reality, the whole process took about 1 minute.
Here is a link to the earbuds I am using.
http://www.complyfoam.com/products/sen-isolation/
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #20 of 25
Hi all,

Here is the solution that has worked for me. I contacted comply foam customer service who eroneously informed me that they have a tip that works. The tips they sent me did not fit as they were too tight to fit the post...intitially...
Comply foam was very good about refunding the order immediately when I explained the issue via email.

1. I used a small kitchen knife to stretch the opening of the eartip that mounts to the earphone as it is plastic and therefore malleable.
2. I inserted the tip of the knife and slowly turned in back and forth in a circular motion while gradually pushing the blade deeper into the cylinder, checking every few turns because I did not want to over street the circumference which would again render the earbud useless because it would be too loose. I also did not wish to either cut or rupture the small plastic post.
3. After 3 or four tries of gradually widening the opening, I could slip the the earbud over the post on the ie800's
4. I made sure that I seated the bud in the correct position and gave it a minute for the plastic to rebound from being stretched and therefore grip the post of the ie800s.

I did this a couple of months ago and today they are still working like a charm. Sound is great, isolation is great and they stay in.
I wrote this mod out in 4 steps for clarity, but in reality, the whole process took about 1 minute.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

That was interesting! 

Quite an effort on your side 
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #21 of 25
Hi all,

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Thanks for the mod! I think I ordered the same tips as you did initially, but instead of using a kitchen knife to widen the opening, I used a knife to cut the tip off of a sharpened No. 2 pencil, far enough down that the tip was slightly wider than the lead itself, by my guess about 3mm. That was small enough that it could fit in and widen the opening, but also short enough that it wouldn't puncture the wax guard if you opt for that model. I did need to exert an amount of force to push the tip down onto the pencil and then wiggle it off, but it worked wonderfully. There's also minimal risk of damaging the tip, as there's no sharp edge involved.

I'm now jamming out to me IE 800's without worrying about the tips getting stuck in my ears :) Thanks again!

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #22 of 25
I thought I would share my solution to the problem. I couldn't get the comply tips to sound good so I did some surgery with cuticle scissors on some Bose tips. I was able to put the ear hooks on the ie800s giving me a very secure fit. Yes it's ridiculous to have to do but the result has made me very happy.
I thought I would share my solution to the problem. I couldn't get the comply tips to sound good so I did some surgery with cuticle scissors on some Bose tips. I was able to put the ear hooks on the ie800s giving me a very secure fit. Yes it's ridiculous to have to do but the result has made me very happy.

Moter, thanks! This is an excellent suggestion... it works very, very well. For anyone who comes across this note. Following Moter's suggestion, I used a pair of Bose Medium StayHear Tips (Medium is a good fit for me, but you could also use large or small depending on the length of the "wing-tip" that you will use to keep the IE800's in the ear. The wing-tip comfortably fits into and rests against the earlobe ridge above the earhole)
The silicon wing-tip will point up, so I rolled the tip flange forward and used a razor to slice the bottom edge up to the base of the flange to allow me to fit the IE800 in the StayHear with the IE800 wire down and fitting through the cut. Next I removed the Sennheiser silicon tip. Then I worked the Sennheiser through the cut StayHear until the speaker section was completely clear. Replace the Sennheiser silicon tip. Finally, I found it slightly better to re-fold the StayHear tip flange forward to cover the Sennheiser silicon tip base.

This was an excellent suggestion! I do think the Comply fit works "ok" but Moter's approach with the StayHear sounds great and for my ears stays much better than the Sennheiser or Comply ear-tips. Thanks again Moter!

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #23 of 25
Moter, thanks! This is an excellent suggestion... it works very, very well. For anyone who comes across this note. Following Moter's suggestion, I used a pair of Bose Medium StayHear Tips (Medium is a good fit for me, but you could also use large or small depending on the length of the "wing-tip" that you will use to keep the IE800's in the ear. The wing-tip comfortably fits into and rests against the earlobe ridge above the earhole)
The silicon wing-tip will point up, so I rolled the tip flange forward and used a razor to slice the bottom edge up to the base of the flange to allow me to fit the IE800 in the StayHear with the IE800 wire down and fitting through the cut. Next I removed the Sennheiser silicon tip. Then I worked the Sennheiser through the cut StayHear until the speaker section was completely clear. Replace the Sennheiser silicon tip. Finally, I found it slightly better to re-fold the StayHear tip flange forward to cover the Sennheiser silicon tip base.

This was an excellent suggestion! I do think the Comply fit works "ok" but Moter's approach with the StayHear sounds great and for my ears stays much better than the Sennheiser or Comply ear-tips. Thanks again Moter!

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #24 of 25
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back