IE800 ear tips
Sep 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 25
Probably direct from sennheiser themselves.  Didn't I read that they were proprietry tips so no others would fit.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 25
I just purchased my IE 800 from Crutchfield. I have spent hours searching for custom ear tips. I tried the Comply T-500. It is the correct diameter, but will not fit the new proprietary IE 800 Sennheiser flange. Using the Comply T-500 ear tips I was able to hear my new IEM's for the first time. The sound is excellent, but the ear tips stay in my ears when I pull the IEM's out. It takes several minutes (sometimes with help) to get the ear tips out of my ears. There is no feature on the ear tips to interface with the new-style flange on the IEM. Crutchfield told me to try the Monster tip kit, but it's not even the correct diameter. I called Sennheiser and the person there told me that if I need different ear tips for my IE 800's then I need to buy them from a "third party". I asked if he meant Comply, and he said yes. I explained that no one makes any custom ear tips, including Comply. I contacted Comply a week ago to see if they have plans, but they never responded.

I am returning my IE 800's and going back to my Shure SE535. I believe that the IE800 may sound better if you are lucky enough to get a good seal, but they sound worse than Apple ear buds without a good seal - seriously. I have been a Sennheiser fan for years, but I am really disappointed that Sennheiser is so disconnected from the ear tip design. If we buy Shure and other brands we have dozens of brands, styles, shapes, and sizes to choose from. Sennheiser gives us one style in 5 sizes. I can't even get one of the sizes to work even temporarily. And deferring to "third party ear tips" could have been a good strategy, if they made the IEM's to fit the many ear tips that are already on the market.

Custom ear molds are hit and miss. I spent over $200 and had several molds done. Westone messed up all three tries and I had to pay my local audiologist anyway.

I may buy IE 800's again if Comply introduces a new model line to fit the new Sennheiser design.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 25
I just purchased my IE 800 from Crutchfield. I have spent hours searching for custom ear tips. I tried the Comply T-500. It is the correct diameter, but will not fit the new proprietary IE 800 Sennheiser flange. Using the Comply T-500 ear tips I was able to hear my new IEM's for the first time. The sound is excellent, but the ear tips stay in my ears when I pull the IEM's out. It takes several minutes (sometimes with help) to get the ear tips out of my ears. There is no feature on the ear tips to interface with the new-style flange on the IEM. Crutchfield told me to try the Monster tip kit, but it's not even the correct diameter. I called Sennheiser and the person there told me that if I need different ear tips for my IE 800's then I need to buy them from a "third party". I asked if he meant Comply, and he said yes. I explained that no one makes any custom ear tips, including Comply. I contacted Comply a week ago to see if they have plans, but they never responded.

I am returning my IE 800's and going back to my Shure SE535. I believe that the IE800 may sound better if you are lucky enough to get a good seal, but they sound worse than Apple ear buds without a good seal - seriously. I have been a Sennheiser fan for years, but I am really disappointed that Sennheiser is so disconnected from the ear tip design. If we buy Shure and other brands we have dozens of brands, styles, shapes, and sizes to choose from. Sennheiser gives us one style in 5 sizes. I can't even get one of the sizes to work even temporarily. And deferring to "third party ear tips" could have been a good strategy, if they made the IEM's to fit the many ear tips that are already on the market.

Custom ear molds are hit and miss. I spent over $200 and had several molds done. Westone messed up all three tries and I had to pay my local audiologist anyway.

I may buy IE 800's again if Comply introduces a new model line to fit the new Sennheiser design.

I've seen the talk about comply 500 fitting the iE800, if anyone is interested to know I made a slight mode using the smallest earbud "as it's too small for me to use" I turned it inside out, cut the bud off leaving only the cylinder post that attaches to the monitor. If you put the post back into the body then push the T500 onto the post part or most of the way. Pull off, lay on flat surface press the comply bud the rest of the way on, as it fits snug then reattach, and you have a great bud now that we wish could've been included from the start ☺️

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 25
So, I got an answer from comply regarding ie-800 replacements:

"Thanks for the message regarding our Comply Foam tips.

We have tested the Sennheiser IE800 earphone and our engineers have deemed it as “incompatible” with Comply tips because of the unique soundport design. The problem is that the soundport is so short, that our tips can’t grip onto the nozzle tight enough. However, I have heard of some customers using the 400 line of tips with this earphone. The 400 tips fit onto this soundport, it just doesn’t have enough retention for us to approve it per our standards.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else!"

I got the tx-400s and it is probably a much tighter fit than the 500s stated above. Once fitted on the cylinder (I used the small as a donor) it does stay put. Bass is now amazing however I noticed 2 thing so:

1) treble is subdued and may be from the additional filter in the comply.i am going to try removing it.

2) the fit is much better but sometime, the tip will come off (with the cylinder) because the foam is much tighter in the ear.

I want to now try the TS-400s since the shape is round, or the T-400s with out the wax guard.

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 25
Gltoh did you ever try the non wax guard options? I have a size medium ear canal for comply and am about to buy a set of 400s to put on the IE 800 proprietary post, but I'm not sure if the comfort line will work for me. I usually go with the isolation line.

I've been using the 200s isolation from comply without the posts just straight on the nozzle of the Ie 800 and they've only come off once in 2 months. But the isolation is mediocre as it won't really go into the canal and I'm hoping putting the posts on there will give it more stability and allow it to go deeper. Although the compact entrance to my ear canal just might block the IEM from getting close enough to get a deep seal.

Appreciate your feedback.

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 25
Sorry for the late reply, I have ended up settling down with the 400s (round tips). It was the best balance for me with fit, seal and sound. I have strange ear with my right ear canal being quite larger in diameter than my left, to the point of I could use large size for right and mediums for the left. I just ordered the JH audio CIEM Roxannes with the hope that this will be the one and only best of all worlds solution.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 25
I thought I would share my solution to the problem. I couldn't get the comply tips to sound good so I did some surgery with cuticle scissors on some Bose tips. I was able to put the ear hooks on the ie800s giving me a very secure fit. Yes it's ridiculous to have to do but the result has made me very happy.

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 25

Just like to report on a solution I found.
Since the Comply did not work for me, I found a company doing custom ear molds and where willing and able to integrate my IE 800 with the custom ear mold. Works fine for me now.
The company is www.ocgmbh.ch. Cost was CHF 130,-- (about 140,-- USD) plus freight.
Another company may be http://www.lear-eshop.com/products/semi-soft-material-custom-fit-ear-mold-half-mold-tips-for-sennheiser-ie800 located in Honk Kong. But living in Switzerland, the first one was a better solution for me.
You have to send us the IE800 with your ear impression for the special Custom fit ear-mold in both cases.

Hope these pointers are helpful to some looking for a solution to their IE 800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back