IE8 recable?
Jun 6, 2009 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

R3SET

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.

Would it be possible to recable the Sennheiser ie8?

The problem is the plug:

sennheiser_ie-8_4.jpg

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 14
What are you looking for exactly? Hardwiring it or replacing it with a better sounding cable?

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 14
But didn't that went bad?
tongue.gif

If the UE pins work, that should work with a little shaving here and there.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But didn't that went bad?
tongue.gif

If the UE pins work, that should work with a little shaving here and there.

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL Yeah it went bad, but that was the headphone's fault, not the connector or the cable.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 14
I wouldn't mess with those cables (especially connectors) unless you're already broken the cable. That supposed extra sound quality from "premium" wire probably isn't worth destroying your cable/buds.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 14
You'd think you could get replacement connectors so you can build a new cable.....but I haven't seen them around. Annoying.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 14
Maybe it's possible to order a new cable from sennheiser and destroy these to get the connector. But to get the cables in the connector, i will have to cut the connector into two pieces and glue it back together, something that can go wrong very easily i think, and it's ugly.

I thought; maybe these pins and connectors are something used in other headphones as well and available somewhere, but that does not seem the case. I guess i have to wait for Null Audio or some other company to come with replacement cable.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 14
I went to Null Audio's site to check out the IE8 cable, and saw 'sold out', or 'unavailable' (forget which), and thought 'damn, gone already'? So I emailed their sales to get the scoop as to when they'd be out again, and got this response:

Hi,

The IE8 cable was supposed to be released this month. However, we are experiencing some technical and tuning difficulties on it.

The project has been postponed indefinitely.

Please watch out our website for updates.

Best Regards,

Kevin K. Wang

Null Audio Studio
#22-2-449
10 Nanyang Drive
Singapore 637720
Null Audio Studio
sales@null-audio.net

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 14
I'm pretty sure Whiplash Audio has made (or is making) a TWag cable for the IE8s. PM SACD-Man.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 14
Has anyone gone about actually measuring the spacing and diameter of the pins?  They look like, to my eye, standard .1" spacing.  In this case you could probably use a plain old 2-pin molex type (or other generic) connector so long as there is no surrounding sheathing/plastic.

Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back