IE8 or X10's?
Jan 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jon77

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I was previously set on the SE530s but since I have had problems with the cables on the 210s I have decided it is probably not a sensible option when shelling out so much. I am interested in the IE8's because of their removable cables, however I am reading about a lot about problems with the fit which is putting me off slightly. Is it a common issue? I don't really want to be getting them if they won't fit. Otherwise the other I had narrowed down to is the X10, but I hear they are no way as good as the others at the same price bracket. Is this true? I think I am going to order a pair of IEM's by the end of the weekend and would value any input.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jon77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. I was previously set on the SE530s but since I have had problems with the cables on the 210s I have decided it is probably not a sensible option when shelling out so much. I am interested in the IE8's because of their removable cables, however I am reading about a lot about problems with the fit which is putting me off slightly. Is it a common issue? I don't really want to be getting them if they won't fit. Otherwise the other I had narrowed down to is the X10, but I hear they are no way as good as the others at the same price bracket. Is this true? I think I am going to order a pair of IEM's by the end of the weekend and would value any input.

I've had both and ended up with se530. From IE8 vs x10 - soundwise IE8, but their isolation was very poor. Comfort&isolation-wise x10 all the way, and they stand their ground also with a good sound.
But for me se530 cut the mustard - great comfort+isolation+very good sound. And the cable problem - well, I just have to hope for the best I guess. Btw - both IE8 and x10 are the microphonics kings...

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 16
Only own the X10s, and as Casper says, from a comfort standpoint, nothing beats the X10s. Not even close. However, they do have serious microphonics (if moving about) and require a shirt clip at a minimum. The IE8s probably deliver more refined sound, based on reviews posted on Head-Fi.

If comfort AND iso and SQ are important, check out the Phonak Audeo PFEs. See Average Joe's excellent comparison between the two phones, just posted today. The Phonaks are only $130-$140, and sparkle compared to the X10s, while also delivering tremendous comfort, isolation and no microphonics, none.

Just a thought. I prefer the Phonak SQ over the X10s, based on mid/high advantages of the former (and no microphonics).

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 16
"Btw - both IE8 and x10 are the microphonics kings..."

Microphonics on the x10 was off the hook for me, but Ie8 it is not an issue. Maybe because I don't use comply or major sealing tips. ie.. I am satisfied with the isolation of the silicon.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 16
Have any of you tried the Comply T-400 Series Foam Tips with the IE8's? I read that provides a good solution regarding poor Isolation with the stock tips. (I had isolation issues with my super.fi 5 Pro's and the stock silicon tips and Comply T-500 tips solved that problem perfectly).

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Btw - both IE8 and x10 are the microphonics kings..."

Microphonics on the x10 was off the hook for me, but Ie8 it is not an issue. Maybe because I don't use comply or major sealing tips. ie.. I am satisfied with the isolation of the silicon.

when worn over the ear no way is the ie8's bad in the microphonics department

edit: silicon is good stuff I think though for the ie8's the comply's are a very good match speaking sq and comfort wise here

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have any of you tried the Comply T-400 Series Foam Tips with the IE8's? I read that provides a good solution regarding poor Isolation with the stock tips. (I had isolation issues with my super.fi 5 Pro's and the stock silicon tips and Comply T-500 tips solved that problem perfectly).

I have not used the ones designed to work with the ie8's but using the ones of my tf10's which are not even decored since it still fits it give good isolation like I would get using w3's or tf10's

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when worn over the ear no way it the ie8's bad in the microphonics department

I agree totally...I screwed up the quote.. I was saying that Ie8 has no microphonics for me but the x10 had alot. I can't imagine the ie8 being an issue in that area for anyone.
If I wished for one thing with the ie8..it would be that the stalk be a little bit longer. I can get a good seal no problem..just feels like I want to push them in farther. Used to my triple.fi I guess.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 16
what tips are you using? I use complys and don't insert them all the way over the stem but leave them a couple mm away and I get a really good seal I have the tf10's too and these go in a bit less but to my ears that fit is a little more comfortable and the sound does not feel muffled at all

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks for the input. I'm now considering the Phonak Audeo PFE with microphone, although I can't find anywhere in the UK where it is currently sold. If anyone knows of a store or website please let me know (I have emailed Phonak to find out). It appears the Phonak is the perfect set of phones unless you have a preferred signature from another set. I certainly have not read of any negatives, and they are insanely cheap compared to the IE8, SE530, and X-10.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for the input. I'm now considering the Phonak Audeo PFE with microphone, although I can't find anywhere in the UK where it is currently sold. If anyone knows of a store or website please let me know (I have emailed Phonak to find out). It appears the Phonak is the perfect set of phones unless you have a preferred signature from another set. I certainly have not read of any negatives, and they are insanely cheap compared to the IE8, SE530, and X-10.

Wait two weeks, mate, I'll let you know where to get them in UK. They haven't arrived to UK yet, I rung yesterday some London based audiologists (Phonak distributors) and UK stock is expected around 15 Feb. They should ring me back as soon as they arrive. The price should be around £125.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks a lot. Yeah I called a distributor in the west end and they told me they didn't even know Phonak made headphones so I gathered they were pretty new. I will be counting down the days.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 16
also factor in the price difference. the x10's are absolutely phenomenal for 200 dollars and they can comepete with mcuh more expensive IEMS. maybe u could use that money u save to put it towards something else. maybe amp or something.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

phonaks in the UK

SwissHearingAids.com> Main Section > Phonak Audéo PFE Earphones due in 10th February - order now for early delivery > Phonak Audéo PFE Earphones

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks, I saw that but I want to wait for the model with the built in mic as I use it with an iphone. Yes I might give amps a look. Out of interest is there any advantage of the Image X-10's over the Phonak apart from the cool design?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back