IE8 may be blown
Jan 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

eargasmik

New Head-Fier
my left bud (of ie8) produces a rattling sound when I increase the volume to like above 12 on ipod(4)
and it clearly rattles at "quality" test on below website
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
they are original and i bought them second hand about 2 month ago n i didn't increase volume as they sounded awesome even on low volume
I am a noob at being audiophile, my question is, is this a cable problem? (pls say yes) 
i m really really dishearted right now as i sold my laptop to get these iem n now i think that person conned me :'(

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 16
seems like nobody knows the answer to this can anyone at least tell me if i can send my ie8 for repair as i bought them second hand so there is no warranty card or slip. I m willing to pay for repair and wait even 1 month, as otherwise i would have to wait atleast 6 months to collect the money and buy them again

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't think that they will send you a replacement left driver, as I had a problem with the left driver on mine recently - reduced volume. If they can't fix it they may offer you the IE80 for a reduced price. In my case, this price is close to the price I paid for my IE8 three years ago, and I didn't particularly want the IE80, so I was not interested.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 16
Shoot me a PM - I may have an option for you. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 16
thanks for replying i don't think they will, because they are not in pakistan officially
can u guide me because the main problem is i bought them second hand so no buying or warranty slip n on their site they clearly mention u need to have them n this model is also i think 4 years old n the person who sold them to me said he used them for atleast a year

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 16
I haven't replaced mine. While I liked them to some extent for their smooth sound signature and wide soundstage, my B&W P5s are my preferred bedside rig and travel option, out of an iPod - unamped. I am curious though about the new IE800.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 16
@riddleguy $1000+ n fixed cable. the price is out of my range n no warranty in my country so ie800 may definitely b for me sound wise but not financially. My friend came yesterday n i plugged my iems on his mobile(samsung s2) they sounded much better than on my ipod 4(touch). can u recommend a famous mobile or player for ie8 (better than ipod 4)?

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Today the right side got blown it produced like 10% of sound, changed sides on cable with no avail. RIP my sweet IEM :frowning2:
Will buy some $10-15 in-helds for now

hi there.
I had a pretty similar experience with my IE8 recently. after 2+ years of daily use I decided to change the cable in favor of the IE8i cable with iPod/iPhone remote.
From the moment that I attached the new cable the volume of the left side would drop all of a sudden.
I switched back to the old cable but the same thing happened.
Thinking I just had blown a 300€ headphone, which had just run out of warranty I was pretty devastated.
But I was also pretty sure that the driver couldn't have been damaged and that it must be in the connection between the phone and the cable.
So I bought some regular Deoxit, treated both connections and the strange behavior disappeared. That was two weeks ago and nothing to complain about since.
You might want to try it yourself.
Good Luck

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
my left bud (of ie8) produces a rattling sound when I increase the volume to like above 12 on ipod(4)
and it clearly rattles at "quality" test on below website
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
they are original and i bought them second hand about 2 month ago n i didn't increase volume as they sounded awesome even on low volume
I am a noob at being audiophile, my question is, is this a cable problem? (pls say yes) 
i m really really dishearted right now as i sold my laptop to get these iem n now i think that person conned me :'(

How do you know it's genuine if the seller didn't give you an original receipt from an authorized seller? And even such a receipt can be easily faked. There is no reason to believe it's genuine unless you've compared it with the real thing.

I bought a fake IE8 and it can fool ANYBODY (without experience of the original) soundwise at normal volumes. It still has the signs of a fake such as the package barcode placement at the R instead of after, and the unrotated L and R labels. But the red wire is there. The only consolation is that it sounds "decent" if you don't know better and if you only listen at low to normal volumes as you said. It's okay to risk buying from unauthorized resellers if you can compare it with the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back