IE8 Imbalance Solved. A bit dirty...
Jun 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Teerdz

100+ Head-Fier
Every tuesday I clean my IEMs. After I cleaned most of the earwax I can see. I clean the earwax I can't see, the wax under the grill, In the nozzle. Now the dirty part starts. I take the nozzle between my lips and suck the earwax out. Quickly after wiping the wax off the grill.

A week ago I started to hear a big loss of sound in the left earpiece.
Today I did the nozzle thing with my IE8. And I heard a little popping sound. I thought this was the driver. When I did it on the left earpiece I heard no popping. So I started to suck harder. And then came the pop. And it popped easier now.

After cleaning I put my IE8 in. I was very surprised. The balance was back. And it sounded better than ever. The bass sounds even better now. I don't know if this is because of the loss of sound for 1 week, but it was much better than I remember.

Is there anyone else that does this with their IEM nozzle?

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 17
Jesus Christ! You will kill your drivers this way!
The driver are made of VERY fragile thin plastic foil! The are not made to support someone blowing on them or sucking them :s
You should use alcohol or something similar to dissolve the ear wax without touching the driver. You've been lucky not to kill your IE8, that's for sure!

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 17
Every Tuesday haha, very regimented!
Maybe you swallowed the guts out of the left earpiece?
At least your stomach will sound pretty good when it rumbles.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 17
Swallowing the wax would just be gross. I just suck it out of the little grill. It stays on the grill then I gently scrape it off with a very thin needle, making sure I don't push it back.

And is this really that bad for the driver? If so I will stop doing this instant.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 17
Carry on mate, you seem to have it down to perfection.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 17
^^^ he he 
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 17
If any average person were to see this thread, they would think head-fi is for schizophrenics hahaha!

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 17
Maybe a little peroxide swab would do instead?

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 17
What you've experienced is just the deformation of the driver. It's just a side effect of them being dynamic, and they should stand up to it. Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing it deliberately, and I would avoid it at all costs.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
If any average person were to see this thread, they would think head-fi is for schizophrenics hahaha!

confused_face_2.gif
 huh?? OCD maybe, depending on how obsessive OP is about the order and number of times its done each day/week, but schizophrenic? not so much.

OP, thats some pretty errrmmm ..interesting habits you got there..eewww, I use an old soft bristled toothbrush to clean my JH13.
as others have said, its most likely the diaphragm deforming to make the pop, I would avoid that if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back