IE7, Monster Beats Tour, or Radius TWF11R. (Hip-hop, alt rock, classical)
Sep 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

farfromnear

New Head-Fier
Heya!

So one side of my UE SuperFi 3 officially died. So now I'm on the search for new headphones

[size=small]I've done some research and price look ups a[/size]nd I can't decided between:

IE7

TWF11R

Monster beats tour is like sort of in there but not really (it's look really rice)

The genre of music I listen to is: hip hop, alternative rock, classical, and pop.  (in order of frequency - hip hop being most often, pop being least) My main source would be my ipod when I'm out, but on my laptop when I'm back into my room. Most of my songs are ripped at 320Kbps.

My price range is less than 200 (but I might go the extra 50 if people really think it's the better way to go)

Noise cancellation is considered (for those airplane flights)

If you guys have more recommendations. That would be super awesome too!

- Roger

EDITED: Because no-one likes reading an essay about someone else

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 8
The c551k's are great earphones if you like a marked V shaped response curve.  

A single driver BA earphone will lack in the bass department, and, IMHO, are not as musical as a good dynamic driver earphone in the same price range.

I loved my C551k's so much when they were my primary earphone and Denon's build quality is extremely good.  You shouldn't have to worry about ever replacing them.

The Westone 1's will probably isolate much better, as Denon's have an "acoustic optimizer" design, which essentially is a port that opens up to outside the earphone, through which outside noise can get in.  I personally never had an issue with this while music is playing.

Based on your music genre's, I think you would be much happier with the C551k if you don't mind the lesser isolation.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Neat, I've noticed that you owned a pair of IE8's. I want to know how well they would perform in my genre of music?

I read on one of the threads that they were getting sold at $190 (legit, refurbished).

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingreason /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A single driver BA earphone will lack in the bass department, and, IMHO, are not as musical as a good dynamic driver earphone in the same price range.

[...]

The Westone 1's will probably isolate much better, as Denon's have an "acoustic optimizer" design, which essentially is a port that opens up to outside the earphone, through which outside noise can get in.  I personally never had an issue with this while music is playing.

"Probably"... does that mean that you haven't actually heard the W1?

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Neat, I've noticed that you owned a pair of IE8's. I want to know how well they would perform in my genre of music?

I read on one of the threads that they were getting sold at $190 (legit, refurbished).

Hip-hop and alt rock - ie8 shines brightly, laid back all the way...

classical - no go for ie8.... bass drum kills everything else. Well mostly

Of your 3 choices, i think ie7 is the best bet for you. Great cable and form factor, less bass than ie8.... randius ddm is soso for its budget, and the fit is horrible....as for beats.....oh well its your choice..lol

I would suggest the cks90 if your leaning towards radius, it does share some similarities, yet the fit is much better, lesser microphobics.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Hip-hop and alt rock - ie8 shines brightly, laid back all the way...

classical - no go for ie8.... bass drum kills everything else. Well mostly

Of your 3 choices, i think ie7 is the best bet for you. Great cable and form factor, less bass than ie8.... randius ddm is soso for its budget, and the fit is horrible....as for beats.....oh well its your choice..lol

I would suggest the cks90 if your leaning towards radius, it does share some similarities, yet the fit is much better, lesser microphobics.

thanks for the in depth reply
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going to go for the IE7.
But I do have to delay it my purchase, because I'm running low on cash :/ damn bi weekly rent. 

and thanks to everyone else who replied~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back