IE6 vs IE7
Jan 24, 2009 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
hi guys,

I was eyeing IE7 and almost bought it but someone put a doubt that IE6 is better...now i havent tried IE6 and didnt find any threads on it.

so if anyone has tried it..can u tell me some traits of IE6's sound

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha ha, I think Opera is up there...it is designed for a Mac!

Well, it just doesn't have that sparkle and excitement that Firefox carries with it (I won't even bring interconnects [plugins] into the picture here), nor the no-frills liquidity and amazing PRaT of Chrome. What it offers is straight up, but it is too laid back for my taste and isn't all that engaging.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it just doesn't have that sparkle and excitement that Firefox carries with it (I won't even bring interconnects [plugins] into the picture here), nor the no-frills liquidity and amazing PRaT of Chrome. What it offers is straight up, but it is too laid back for my taste and isn't all that engaging.

You do know your browsers!

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure what is with the pointless replies so far by people who joined in the last 3 months: smugness usually comes with age. i would love to help, just wanted to get this thread back on topic

Just having a little fun due to the way Nocturnal310 constructed the thread title and text.

On topic, this is the only post I could find right off from someone who's actually bought and used the IE6.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ml#post4989735

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 50
I did some searching around on other forums and your thread..

the opinions are same.. IE6 are bassy IEMs but detailed as well..which makes them a fun listen.

IE7 on the other hand are more neutral and their bass is the most controlled of the IE series by Sennheiser.

gonna consider SF5 V2 and then make final decision.
i am having a hard time making a decision because i havent owned any good IEMs ..and their technological diversity makes it harder to find which one will fit my needs better.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 50
But what do you want out of an IEM? Sennheiser loyalty's fine and all, but there are other options out there.
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 50
i am loyal with a reason..nothing has made me feel more content than Sennheiser.

well i am considering to audition SF5 V2 and SF5 Pro before making final dive.

any other recommendations u have?

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 50
I have the Super.fi 5 v2s and I love them. The bass is good and the mids/highs are good also. I am goung to get some ER-4Ps because I want an increase in detaul, but they are great starter IEMs IMO.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 50
I'd go for Senn IE's before Super.fi . The senn IE7 isn't in the same league. Go for triple.fi over super.fi. But trust your instincts. You'll like the Senn Ie's because you like the Senn sound signature. I love klipsch sound signatures, so I should have known before ordering the Custom 3 I would love them, and I do. The best dual armatures I've heard.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 50
oh i agree the IE7 isnt in the same league as the super.fi. the IE7 i feel is really quite similar to the triple.fi

as for the 6 being better than the 7, it simply wont be, however it might be more to your tastes like i got the 7 because i thought the 8 was just going to be too much of a bass monster for me. the 7 may be more neutral (for a sennheiser) but i still find there to be a lot of bass on them and its very nice bass, near se530 quality and like i said elsewhere on bass heavy song i still find there to be a little too much bass from the IE7.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 50
I recently bought the IE6 and IE7 at the same time, and had both for a 4-5 days before choosing which to return. Obviously I can't give any long term feedback, but did get enough time to give them both at least 40-50 hours burn in.

Like you I couldn't find anything about the IE6 pretty much anywhere, apart from Sennheiser's own blurb.

After that period, I found them both to have a similar balance: The IE6 being (as advertised) more prominant and powerful in the bass - and they really don't lose much in definition down low, if anything. Both are very detailed and insightful further up and a huge leap up from budget canal phones, and the IE7 had an edge in resolution and soundstaging that would perhaps have developed further if I'd had longer with them. But I wouldn't say that there was a huge amount in it. As I intended to use them on a motorbike (where bass can easily get washed out) I opted for the benefits of the 6 over the 7.

So impressed am I with the range that I decided to shell out on the IE8 as well, which was originally way above what I wanted to pay. I'd say they're a very worthwhile leap up from both, and in another league altogether when it comes to the bass. The depth, impact and definition in the lower registers totally eclipses the other two, and any other IEM I've heard. Further up they're similarly impressive, and extremely detailed (although not at all bright with a darkish Senn house sound). Again I've only got 30 hours on them so these are only initial impressions.

Another thing I would say is that the 6s are by far the most comfortable (and lightest), but the 7s and 8s offer better isolation. I'll be keeping the 6s for commuting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back