iDosing poser?
Feb 22, 2011 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Mushrooshi

100+ Head-Fier
So, when I remembered about binaural beats, there was this kid who would always say he was trippin' out on binaural beats... in class...

the problem is... the classroom is no environment to properly get the effect of binaural beats (which I believe is placebo anyways), and he was getting the effect off really cheapie earbuds... don't you need high-quality earbuds for it to work?

I think this kid was being a poser and not actually using binaural beats right...

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 21
Is there even actually a way to use them "right" in the first place.  Do they actually work in the first place.  If they did work at all I assume you'd need some half decent 'phones in the first place because it would need very good phase alignment.  Its the phase difference that makes stuff like that sound "weird" in the first place. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 21
Since I had no idea what you were talking about I looked up some 'binaural beats' expecting some binaural music with a beat. What I found was some of the worst ambient I've ever heard. I have no idea what binaural has to do with it because I didn't hear anything that indicated any 3D-ish things going on. It might not work on cheap earbuds, but I can tell you for a fact that it doesn't work with my HD650. Whatever the effect is supposed to be (aside from a urges to turn it off and start listening to music again) I didn't hear or notice it. Probably my mind is not very synchronized or something along those lines. If you're trying to alter your perception there are drugs which do a far better job.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 21
There was a huge hype about idosing among my friends and we all tried it out for a bit.  We tried all sorts of headphones, from stock ipod headphones and 2$ dealextreme earbuds to etymotic research hf5's and some other better headphones.  It doesn't seem to depend on the quality of the headphones at all, but mostly on the environment and the person.

I would say that it definitely works for some people.  We have some pretty funny videos of my friends absolutely freaking out on the Gates of Hades idose.  Some of them would start sweating, panting, even crying and doing all sorts of crazy things and I know for sure that they weren't acting. I know it sort of sounds dumb, and you can find ridiculous/stupid videos on youtube of people but I saw it in person so I'm pretty convinced.  At the same time though, a lot of my friends were sound asleep 5 mins into the same track and others just didn't feel anything at all.

Idosing seems to be hit or miss for people.  I personally tried a ton of tracks, from the short 5 minute ones to the hour long ones, including Gates of Hades and Hand of God, which are supposed to be extremely "strong".  They pretty much all had zero effect on me.  I sort of felt tingly for some of the longer ones but I'd assume that anyone who stayed awake for an hour just lying completely still would feel weird. 

I'm not sure if the claims of using binural beats to release certain hormones/chemicals is true or not (I doubt it) but the tracks definitely do have some effect for certain people.  In my opinion the sound sort of sets an "environment" that could be either tense or calm or whatever and helps your imagination run loose.  Combined with being half-asleep, you could definitely have some interesting effects.
The Gates of Hades clip is a little different though, if you're bored you should totally try it.  I don't want to "spoil" it, but it's "designed" slightly differently from the other clips so I think that a larger number of people would be able to get some sort of effect from it.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 21
I'd guess they're just acting like when people get "hypnotized" on stage.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 21
I tried them once, for fun, (lol and thats how drugs hook people) but no good for me.
kinda remind of some other lenghty piece called "jackspot, no hands" 
biggrin.gif
 still no effect on me.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 21
Mar 17, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 21
I think it'd just mess it up if the "music" could actually do anything in the first place.

With My T50RPs it sounds vaguely like a giant bee doing lazy figure-8s above my head.  I'm not getting anything close to demons, devils, Hell, The Abyss, or any underworld of any sort.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 21
The full clip is supposed to be close to half an hour long if I remember correctly, that clip is only a small portion of it.  You really have to follow the recommended procedure for idosing if you want any sort of effect at all, just listening to the clips won't do anything.  It's not like the virtual barbershop, the sound is only part of the effect.  Idosing also doesn't work if you're wide awake and alert, you're not supposed to be listening to the clip while browsing the web or something.  I recall reading that they recommend you lie down somewhere dark and put a pillow over your eyes or something like that.
Typically, the clips are so long that after listening to 20 minutes of buzzing your head will feel pretty hazy.  Combined with possibly thinking about demons and crap/ being half asleep the sudden change in tone at 1:50 in the clip will surprise most people.  In the actual clip which is longer it comes later so most people will have become accustomed to the droning.
Anyhow, I still think Gates of Hades is fun/works.  If you go try it out on like 5 of your friends with the proper procedures it'll probably work on at least one of them.  And then the rest of you can laugh at him.  That's what we did anyways.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
The full clip is supposed to be close to half an hour long if I remember correctly, that clip is only a small portion of it.  You really have to follow the recommended procedure for idosing if you want any sort of effect at all, just listening to the clips won't do anything.  It's not like the virtual barbershop, the sound is only part of the effect.  Idosing also doesn't work if you're wide awake and alert.
Typically, the clips are so long that after listening to 20 minutes of buzzing your head will feel pretty hazy.
Anyhow, I still think Gates of Hades is fun/works.  If you go try it out on like 5 of your friends with the proper procedures it'll probably work on at least one of them.  And then the rest of you can laugh at him.  That's what we did anyways.

So in other words its all about psyching yourself out/up and has next to nothing to do with the actual sound, which is basically what I was assuming all along.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
So in other words its all about psyching yourself out/up and has next to nothing to do with the actual sound, which is basically what I was assuming all along.

Sort of... I'd say the sound definitely helps you psych yourself up though.
Btw the other drug songs are pretty bs, they worked on no one I knew.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 21
Well, I think I'm going to go to sleep while listening to it tonight to prove that, like curses, this kind of crap only works on people who already believe in it.  I'll report back tomorrow.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 21
Sounds like another one of those self-induced things.

Reminds me of when people played "Bloody Mary" when I was a kid. Tried it once, saw nothing. A more contemporary version is the "Midnight Man" or the Midnight Game. It might be fun to try some night. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back