lambda.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus
*fistup*!
lambda.gif

Heh, Cool
biggrin.gif
. I didn't know what to expect in here. It's a rather speciall music taste I guess. Don't know of many ppl here where I live that listen to the same thing I do except for my best friend who also got me to listen to IDM about 10 years ago.

What do you listening to ATM? Any album or group/person in particular?

Dec 11, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 26
Love it... Fourtet and Manitoba are my favourites.
wink.gif

I also like a lesser known band from canada called Iderdown.

I've got some Aphex Twin and BoC as well of course... never really thought of µ-Ziq as IDM, but I guess it sort of is. I only have one of his albums, but enjoy it quite a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 26
I don't have any problem with the music itself, but the actual phrase "intelligent dance music" implies that non-challenging, non-abstract dance music is stupid, which is extremely egotistical and narrow-minded. These musicians are free to keep making their "IDM" music, and I even like some of it, but for them to imply that the dissonance and difficulty of their music makes it superior is wrong. It may sometimes be better fit for people who like to put on a pair of headphones and get really into the intricacies of music, but if you threw Autechre on at a club, people would not dance. They'd probably throw garbage at the DJ booth. Is that superiority? If these musicians think being less inviting and enjoyable to the general populace constitutes superior intelligence, I'd hate to go to one of their parties.

The music can stay. The name has really got to go. But I digress.

I'd say my favorite abstract electronic album is probably the Aphex Twin 85-92 collection. It has a great sense of danger and darkness to it, even in the most optimistic moments. His mid-90's stuff is also cool but I can't take it in very large doses.

I was also a huge fan of Prefuse 73's One Word Extinguisher. For some reason Prefuse seems to get lumped in with hip-hop guys like RJD2 and DJ Shadow when it really bears very little resemblance to hip-hop.

I've heard very little Squarepusher but what I've heard seems cool, if a bit melodramatic at times.

I hate Four Tet.

Ulrich Schnauss is pretty cool. Same with M83, to a lesser degree.

Dec 11, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
but the actual phrase "intelligent dance music" implies that non-challenging, non-abstract dance music is stupid, which is extremely egotistical and narrow-minded. These musicians are free to keep making their "IDM" music, and I even like some of it, but for them to imply that the dissonance and difficulty of their music makes it superior is wrong. It may sometimes be better fit for people who like to put on a pair of headphones and get really into the intricacies of music, but if you threw Autechre on at a club, people would not dance. They'd probably throw garbage at the DJ booth. Is that superiority? If these musicians think being less inviting and enjoyable to the general populace constitutes superior intelligence, I'd hate to go to one of their parties.

Woah, calm down there buddy... this is a label, like any, that was created by the music industry not the musicians. Trust me, most of them probably hate the term as well.

Besides... other dance music is stupid.
evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

For some reason Prefuse seems to get lumped in with hip-hop guys like RJD2 and DJ Shadow when it really bears very little resemblance to hip-hop.

Not bad company to be lumped into though.
cool.gif
Quote:

I hate Four Tet.

You might want to give it another try. I really hated it at first, but gave it another shot and it was a much different story. I think that 'Pause' is the best album to start with. Quote:

Ulrich Schnauss is pretty cool. Same with M83, to a lesser degree.

Is Ulrich Schnauss IDM?

I LOVE Ulrich Schnauss... I've been looking for something else like it for some time. Is M83 similar?

Another thing that is a little confusing... Although I do enjoy Aphex Twin... isnt his music Ambient?

Genres suck...
confused.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 26
"IDM" wasn't created by the "music industry." Most "IDM" artists and labels have nothing whatsoever to do with the "music industry." It came into being with the IDM-list on hyperreal.org, because they couldn't think of anything better to describe the music they wanted to discuss. And it stuck.

Factor, I think you're right up to a point, but there is a reason for it being dubbed "intelligent" -- it was in response to the mindless house and raver jungle being pumped out in huge amounts during the early 90s. And in comparison to that, its moniker definitely fits.

- Chris

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
"IDM" wasn't created by the "music industry." Most "IDM" artists and labels have nothing whatsoever to do with the "music industry." It came into being with the IDM-list on hyperreal.org, because they couldn't think of anything better to describe the music they wanted to discuss. And it stuck.

I've never heard this before, could be true. I doubt that everyone who now calls it IDM stems from that group of people however. I know I dont... I read about IDM first in a magazine. Perhaps 'music industry' was the wrong term if you think I mean the RIAA or something. What I meant was that people like rolling stone and URB and what have you give groups these names. I doubt that a new IDM artist calls himself IDM. What is more likely is that he makes a record, it gets reviewed, the reviewer calls it IDM and it sticks. Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Factor, I think you're right up to a point, but there is a reason for it being dubbed "intelligent" -- it was in response to the mindless house and raver jungle being pumped out in huge amounts during the early 90s. And in comparison to that, its moniker definitely fits.

I agree wth you here. Now where is the IRP... oh wait, thats Abstract Hiphop I guess.
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 26
Aphex Twin ranges from ambient, jungle, classical, etc, all with a twist of IDM.

My favs are Aphex Twin, Arovane, Chris Clark, Bola(highly recommended), Jega, Squarepusher, Speedy J, and Boards of Canada of course..

Dec 11, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I've never heard this before, could be true. I doubt that everyone who now calls it IDM stems from that group of people however. I know I dont... I read about IDM first in a magazine.

It's pretty well-accepted that the first people to really use it to describe the genre was the idm-list. Wikipedia states that the term "IDM" was used in some music magazines in 1992 and 1993, but the IDMlist was created in 1993 and popularized its use more than anything else.

Of course, it's really impossible to pinpoint the exact origins, especially now, so it's all semantics anyhow.

I don't really mind the name anymore since it's effective and does what it need to do. I don't find it "elitist" or exclusionary or whatever at all. I love IDM, but I also love ragga jungle circa '94 and old raver breakbeat anthems. I hate house music, however, and always will. Die, diva house.

- Chris

Dec 11, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 26
Hate the name IDM and never use it myself, but love some of the music, especially when it mixes in other genres and "real" instruments. One of my favorite albums in any genre in the last few years is Hood's Cold House. When they hit me with that swarm of skittering clicks mixed over a solid drum foundation and towed along by a mournful cello and jangly guitars with vocals split between Chris Hood and a loop by Dose-One on "They Removed All Trace That Anything Had Ever Happened Here", I am totally there. Four Tet does it too. And traces of what some call IDM in the later version of Notwist as well. Can't say the music of this type I like most is much for dancing, but it does make for some fine listening, and some good headphones probably make it even better...if so inclined
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 26
The only Four Tet album I've heard is Rounds. I listened to it and loved it for about 2 weeks, and then I listened to it again and suddenly thought "gah, what was I thinking?" Same exact pattern happened to my friend.

Most house music I've heard from the 90's has been pretty bad, but there's just no arguing with Chicago house from the mid-late 80's.

Dec 11, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool
Heh, Cool
biggrin.gif
. I didn't know what to expect in here. It's a rather speciall music taste I guess. Don't know of many ppl here where I live that listen to the same thing I do except for my best friend who also got me to listen to IDM about 10 years ago.

What do you listening to ATM? Any album or group/person in particular?

Squarepusher...(go plastic), Venetian Snares...(Winter in the belly of a Snake, Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding), Autechre, Aphex Twin...(SAW II, Girl/Boy song), BOGDAN ****ING RACZYNSKI
lambda.gif
...(Samurai Math Beats)

Dec 11, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 26
LOL, I think the lable might have bothered me a bit just before I started listening to it. I definitively don't go around naming "Inteligent dance music" to people and expect them to think that I'm cool or something, I think it would have the exact opposite effect.. I would rather just say "IDM" and try to explain what sort of music it is.

Quote:

I've heard very little Squarepusher but what I've heard seems cool, if a bit melodramatic at times.

His earlier cd's are the best imo.. Very sort of drum'n'bass with a jazzy twist, I like it. I recommend "Hard normal daddy" which I think is his best album and "Feed me weird things" and "Burning'n tree" is also very good. Imo his newer albums has too many how should I call it.. "experimental" tracks to make them completely good, but there is always atleast 1 or 2 tracks on every album that blow me away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I've got some Aphex Twin and BoC as well of course... never really thought of µ-Ziq as IDM, but I guess it sort of is. I only have one of his albums, but enjoy it quite a bit.

Got to love Aphex and got to love the BoC
biggrin.gif
. µ-Ziq's (Micheal Paradinis) first couple of albums that were released undet Rephlex record lable is very IDM'ish imo.. Tango n' vectif, Bluff limbo and Lunatic Harness. I started off listeneing to Aphex and µ-Ziq actually. Then I whent on to Squarephusher, which was my favorite for a long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Global Goon - Vatican Nitez, Baby Mammoth - Seven Up, Múm - Yesterday was Dramatic - Today is OK (maybe not IDM but I like múm!
smily_headphones1.gif
), Mu-ziq - Bluff Limbo, Boom Bip - Seed To Sun.. those are just some that I can think of right now on the top of my head that I would recommend checking out... If you havent heard them already.. Also I use to listen to allot of Red Snapper but don't really any more, for some reason.. I like them though.

I'll definitvely be checking out some of the artists that has been named here that I don't recognize.. This was a good thread, I'm happy
k1000smile.gif

Dec 13, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #15 of 26
idm isn't a "special" music taste, and you aren't "special" because you like idm. sorry to crush your vanity trip.

furthermore, "idm" is a terrible term. it needs to be dropped, asap. jungle, d'n'b, breakbeat, ambient techno, experimental electronica.. or whatever combination, just drop idm :[

that being said, squarepusher rules. he completely dominates his peers, with the possible exception of autechre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back