Identify this bug for me!
Aug 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Meloncoly

500+ Head-Fier
My girlfriend just killed this bug, but she wants to know what it is. I don't know what it is, so I thought I should ask the Head-fi community!

IMG_3041-1.jpg

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Didn't make noises or jump (crawled slowly though), and it's bigger than a store bought type cricket. Length is about ~2in.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Why it’s mole cricket,

The mole crickets compose family Gryllotalpidae, of thick-bodied insects about 3-5 cm (1-2 inches) long, with large beady eyes and shovel-like forelimbs highly developed for burrowing and swimming. They can also fly—the adult mole cricket may fly as far as 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) during mating season, is active most of the year, and spends the winter in hibernation. Younger insects can have shorter wings, and their appearance varies by species, with some resembling grasshoppers or very large ants or dark-colored "termites" when wings are short.

Oh yeah harmless too, so start feeling bad about it...

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 11
Cheers for clearing that up
biggrin.gif
I have seen a few of these around the place before... as you said they swim etc and thats sorta where ive seen em. Our local petrol station crawls with them and grasshoppers when in season.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Looks like his last meal was either hummis or peanut butter
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 11
wow, i actually encountered one of these a while back in my own house. my family was still awake (this was at night btw) and i went to use the restroom. when i walked in, i saw a bug that looked just like that but i never seen it before in my life so i was freaked out at what it was. i thought it was a clear bug or something. well the one i saw was a little lighter colored then the one shown. eventually we killed it somehow and put it outside. so scary lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back