Identify DT880 old / new
Mar 3, 2007 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

barshnik

Head-Fier
I know there was a newer design for 2005, but don't know what it looks like. I've seen 2 different DT-880's:

1) flat outer earcup with 'beyerdynamic' tag in the middle.
2) more rounded outer earcup with 'DT 880' tag at the bottom.

Which is the newer model?
Thanks

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 11
x2...uhh #2
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 11
This is the old version:

img_0982-crop-shrink.jpg

Techincally these are "DT-880 Studio" - which preceded the current DT-880 by like 10 years.

Not all of them have the "S" on the grille. I'd be surprised if all of them are pink, but mine are pink. That's not paint - it's anodized pink. Go figure.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the ID, I was having a temporary paranoia attack having received 880's a week ago, then looking at pics on beyerdynamics web site (and seeing the old style.) All is good now, and they sound a tad softer after about 80 hrs burn in than they did 'out of the box.'

John F

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 11
fwiw the old 880 Studio really is a pretty good set of open 'phones.

The issue with them, if you can call it an issue, is that they are very sensitive in the higher frequencies. So if there is any hiss - at all - anywhere in your system - they will reproduce it with sparkling clarity.

They are slightly lacking in bass, and this can be remedied by putting a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of polyester fiberfill behind the driver. When i say VERY SMALL i mean 1/5th of 1 gram. If you add too much, they just sound farty, because the drivers can't handle the pressure.

After that, they, well, basically sound like a DT-990. I'd have to do A/B tests to be certain of any differences.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 11
But the phones in that picture aren't what most people around here consider the "old" 880s. Thse are "really old" 880s. I've never seen those before. The 03 version looks alot like the new 05 version except for the coiled cord and the flat earcups.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fwiw the old 880 Studio really is a pretty good set of open 'phones.

The issue with them, if you can call it an issue, is that they are very sensitive in the higher frequencies. So if there is any hiss - at all - anywhere in your system - they will reproduce it with sparkling clarity.

They are slightly lacking in bass, and this can be remedied by putting a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of polyester fiberfill behind the driver. When i say VERY SMALL i mean 1/5th of 1 gram. If you add too much, they just sound farty, because the drivers can't handle the pressure.

After that, they, well, basically sound like a DT-990. I'd have to do A/B tests to be certain of any differences.

That sounds interesting - have you heard of this being done with the new-style (2005) non-Studio 880's? I certainly wouldn't be against a tad more bass... Maybe I'll get the guts to try to figure out how to remove the drivers one of these days to give this a try.

John F

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, the new 880 might have appropriate damping already. The old one just has a sheet of nonwoven fabric that's about half as substantial as one ply of a square of two-ply facial tissue.

In any case, after pulling off the earpads you will notice that there is a ring around the driver, and there are some slots around the outer diameter of that ring.

Insert a thin screwdriver, and pry it up. BE CAREFUL because it's very easy to slip and perforate the fabric of the baffle.

If you break the ring, it's about $3 to replace it.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That pink one is probably even older than old 03 version.

The DT 880 Studio was introduced in 1980 - the pink ones may be older than many head-fiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back