Ideas for speaker isolation on the cheap?
Dec 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Ckaz

100+ Head-Fier
I've just ordered my speakers and I would like to be able to have some form of speaker isolation, but I don't have the money to buy anything too special. My speakers are the Monitor Audio Silver RX1's, and I don't have the space for stands so they will be sitting on my desk.

I've heard that cutting squash balls in half works well, and I've got plenty of those. Wouldn't it make the speaker extremely unstable though?
Any other ideas?

As a sidenote, what exactly is the purpose of speaker isolation. I I know for components its to reduce vibration (or so I thought), but my speakers will be sitting on a solid desk and won't be experiencing any of that. So yea, whats the point?

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 40
Eh I dont see half cut squash balls being very helpful for speakers, maybe the really heavy ones, but not for bookshelves. I would just stick some feet under them and keep them on your desk. I'd just make sure the speakers are all the way to the front of the desk, or just a tad behind the edge, but not more. If you push them back further you are going to get reflections from the desk and its not going to sound very good overall.

But one question, if they are on your desk, will you be working at your desk when you listen to them? Cos those arent quite nearfield monitors, and will need some space to sound nice and big. You are going to limit its capabilities if you listen nearfield.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 40
There are certain situations where one has to make compromises in regards to maximum performance, and real life practicality.
I'm going to have them near the rear of my desk. I will be listining to them in a nearfield setup.
I know that I can get better performance by doing otherwise, but it simply isn't a possibility. I auditioned the speakers at a position somewhat similar to what I would have at home, and decided that I liked them like that. End of story.

And I've heard quite a bit online that cut-in-half squash balls are a great way to go when you need to spend as little money as possible. Why do you say otherwise?

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 40
I made a thread about sonic design feet some time ago in this forum.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 40

Quote:
I've just ordered my speakers and I would like to be able to have some form of speaker isolation, but I don't have the money to buy anything too special. My speakers are the Monitor Audio Silver RX1's, and I don't have the space for stands so they will be sitting on my desk.

Hi

When listening to speakers in near-field position, such as at your desk :), then the most important thing is that you listen on axis.

If you simply place the speakers on your desk then I think you should prop them up so that the speakers are pointing at your ears.

The difference in sound quality between on-axis and off-axis is massive.

I am always seeing pictures of people who have some hi fi speakers for their computer. They just plonk them on the desk, but any benefits in sound qualtiy are lost immediately because they listen off axis.

I think that the quality from those Monitor Audio speakers will be very good on-axis.

Maybe you could prop them up with books at the front, something like that?

You could raise them up from the desk with books as well if you like.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 40
Patrick is right, I was referring to it not working because it will not be at the right level. Also, while it might reduce vibrations, its not going to be all that stable, and especially in a desk setting where things move around a lot, the last thing you want is your speaker falling face down onto something sharp, or even sideways and get scratched. I find that any potential benefit you might get from the squash ball technique is outweighed by lack of stability, just my 2 cents. If this were however a scenario where things are heavier and wider, then relative stability is more. I have tried a similar technique for isolating drums from the ground and it sort of worked, I can see it working for that scenario, but not really all that much for a bookshelf on a desk. I'd rather you raise it to have the recommended ear level listening position, on a flat solid, heavy surface.

As for the near field listening, no need to get so defensive, I was just stating what is frequently discussed and recommended. If you feel you like the sound of these particular speakers in that setting, good for you, but in all honesty, you'd do a lot better with studio monitors since they are designed for nearfield setups. For a similar price of an RX1 you could get some very good monitors that will do a remarkable job in such a setting. I was just trying to help.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 40
spring for $40 Auralex MoPads

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 40
I got so carried away with my "listen on-axis" thing that I forgot to mention my gold plated isolation suggestion.

Here it is:

Use two bicycle inner tubes. Small ones, obviously, 349 or smaller. Inflate the tubes a little, so that they are soft. Cut out two squares of MDF and put those on top of the bicycle tubes. Place speakers on those squares of MDF.

This will give excellent isolation and it will provide, I suspect very good support for the speakers.

The squares of MDF could be some quite nice wood if you prefer. You could use pine Timbre Board and apply wax polish. It will look pretty good.

You'll find you hardly see the inner tubes.

I haven't done this on a desk myself but I have created speaker stands for the floor where full size tubes are used. I put an octagon shaped chipboard panel on them and then build a simple light wooden structure on top up to the speakers.

The great advantage for the speaker of a structure like this is that there are so few available standing waves in its design. This means that the stand will not accentuate given frequencies.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 40
Blobs of blue tac, two at the front and one at the back in the middle. You will isolate the speaker from the table, it will stop the speaker from moving about and you can use more at the front than at the back to point the speakers slightly up. I used blue tac to secure speakers to stands and it worked very well. I see no reason why it should not be as effective on a desk.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 40
Im not sure I would go to great lengths to isolate speaker: most people try to couple the speakers to whatever they are sitting on.

Blu-tac is nice because it wont scratch like a spike. Be careful though! It does tend to harden into a baked on chewing gum residue. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
As a sidenote, what exactly is the purpose of speaker isolation. I I know for components its to reduce vibration (or so I thought), but my speakers will be sitting on a solid desk and won't be experiencing any of that. So yea, whats the point?

Technically a speaker should be locked securely in place to a heavy structure that acts as a "mechanical ground".  If you introduce any kind of compliance under it, then the movement of the cone will be able to move the cabinet to some degree, compromising the acoustic output.  I would try them directly on the desk, possibly with something heavy on top holding them down.  If the desk is flimsy and you get buzzing, use the hardest and densest material available to cure the problem - maybe hard rubber washers from the hardware store.  Anything soft, squishy, or compliant is your enemy in this situation.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 40
Blue tac can be kept from hardening by replacing it every so often. Once squashed down it is far from soft and squishy and your speaker will not move. Something heavy ontop is also a good idea, but only once the bottom is secured.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 40
Hmm... never had Blu-Tak harden, even after multiple years of use. 
blink.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 40
X10! NEVER use an inner tube type of platform for speakers! It's sometimes Ok under electronics, but I've found that constrained layer dampening works best (see http://www.marigoaudio.com/), uh, at a considerable cost 
eek.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Technically a speaker should be locked securely in place to a heavy structure that acts as a "mechanical ground".  If you introduce any kind of compliance under it, then the movement of the cone will be able to move the cabinet to some degree, compromising the acoustic output.  I would try them directly on the desk, possibly with something heavy on top holding them down.  If the desk is flimsy and you get buzzing, use the hardest and densest material available to cure the problem - maybe hard rubber washers from the hardware store.  Anything soft, squishy, or compliant is your enemy in this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back