Ideal setup for sennheiser HD800 with PC
Mar 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #16 of 34
You probably would be surprised how good HD800 scales to better gear. If you are unlimited on budget I'd say a good start would be

- Mac Mini (headless)
- Audirvana+ player software, running  in Direct and Integer Mode
- a very good USB-DAC with preamp ($5000 or more)
- a very good headphone amp ($5000 or more)

Btw, HD800 loves high-end gear with tubes.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #17 of 34
Well does it matter of its a mac or windows? Just asking since a separate DAC would be factored in too.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #18 of 34
Many high-end computer setups have a dedicated MAC as the starting point, but there is no general consensus about whether MAC is the best platform sonically. Some people use Windows and JRiver, others use an audiophile Linux setup. Personally I think a dedicated MAC setup has some general benefits regarding convenience and sound quality. It's easy to configure things and there are several very good software players aimed at computer audiophiles, competing with each other regarding sound quality and convenience features. So there is fast progress in software development and there's a huge user base. From my experience every software player sounds different to some degree. For example Amarra and Audirvana are very different sonically. HD800 is a very transparent headphone, so you will notice nearly every change in your setup (it's scary sometimes).

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #20 of 34
Mar 11, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #21 of 34
Here's a tech paper from the Audirvana developer about how OS and player software may affect sound quality. You can read something about software induced Jitter and RF interferences. http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_OSX-Integermode.html

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:
No. Not really.

Quote:
of course not.

Well that's good then, means i won't miss out on any sound quality
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #23 of 34
Here's a tech paper from the Audirvana developer about how OS and player software may affect sound quality. You can read something about software induced Jitter and RF interferences. http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_OSX-Integermode.html

Consider the source...:rolleyes:

Anyways, whenever you're gonna talk about "jitter" or "RFI" or whatever other bogeyman-of-the-week, you have to always have that discussion out to the "is it audible" point, or it's just a lot of nice marketing spin.

EDIT
Wrote "about" and should have written "out" - fixed that. Now it makes sense. :xf_eek:

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #24 of 34
In my book if you can't hear the difference it's not audible. So it's misleading because it's not related to the sound quality of the component. So it's not worth talking about.
Why does this seem so difficult to understand for so many audio enthusiasts. We seem to have lost our way in an obsessive pursuit for perfection that simply isn't there. And isn't as important as enjoying the music.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #25 of 34
In my book if you can't hear the difference it's not audible. So it's misleading because it's not related to the sound quality of the component. So it's not worth talking about.
Why does this seem so difficult to understand for so many audio enthusiasts. We seem to have lost our way in an obsessive pursuit for perfection that simply isn't there. And isn't as important as enjoying the music.

I really don't even know how to reply - my usual "+1" or "this" just don't seem to fully capture my feelings about this post.

Let's try this:

:beerchug:

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:
Consider the source...
rolleyes.gif

For old or mediocre recordings consider a fine NOS DAC and tubes. It will sound pretty nearly a highend vinyl setup. For splendid highres material (f.i. http://www.2l.no/pages/album/087.html) consider a very transparent highres DAC. That's what I do regarding the source. Both units are $5000 and they are not even "reference", only very good. My only problem with spending so much money on DACs is that there is so much motion in DAC market. In 2-4 years my $10000 DAC gear is rather old and there is a good chance to get the same quality for much less money then. But we are talking about an ideal setup for HD800, now, and cost no object:)

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #28 of 34
My laptop dac does the job a treat. The headphones seem to colour the sound more than anything. Whatever you decide make sure PLEASE you can send it back if the dac doesn't make everything sound night and day chalk and cheese different. Keep trying lots of different ones til you find one that beats your internal pc dac by an audible margin.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #29 of 34
I will recommend to buy highend soundcard like Asus Xonar ST/STX and external highend separate AMPs/DAC like RSA, ALO, Meier Audio, Schiit or combine unit like Burson 160D, Woo Audio WA7, M902. So with that you can use RCA out of soundcard to connect with AMPsnsection or you can use Coaxal digital out to connect with DAC and compare them which sound better to you.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #30 of 34
My Advice is that if you are going to listen to lossy music i.e. iTunes downloads or Spotify even 320kbps might as well use your laptop. No need to spend any money for amp/dac your laptop is good enough. However if you are going to listen to Flac/lossless CD RIP's or Hi quality 24/96khz music get a good DAC and Amp (the best you can afford). I have just tried this today with my HD800's. Spotify/iTunes downloads sound the same from my DAC/AMP as from my laptop, but once you move to Lossless and 24/96khz laptop HP out is no match. I am using a Macbook Air.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back