Ideal setup for sennheiser HD800 with PC
Jun 17, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #31 of 34
My Advice is that if you are going to listen to lossy music i.e. iTunes downloads or Spotify even 320kbps might as well use your laptop. No need to spend any money for amp/dac your laptop is good enough. However if you are going to listen to Flac/lossless CD RIP's or Hi quality 24/96khz music get a good DAC and Amp (the best you can afford). I have just tried this today with my HD800's. Spotify/iTunes downloads sound the same from my DAC/AMP as from my laptop, but once you move to Lossless and 24/96khz laptop HP out is no match. I am using a Macbook Air.  

There is no way you are serious. Hd 800 straight into a laptop? This is awful advice. There are slight differences between Spotify and uncompressed music. But it's not nearly as much as you make it out to be. A good amp and dac will almost always help. Especially with something like the hd 800.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #32 of 34
I reported as I experienced things. I have a MacBook Air the only thing I wished while listening to HD800 from my MacBook HP out was maybe more volume. But the difference/ non difference while listening to lossy music was surprising to me aswell. But not many people buy HD800's for listening to lossy mp3 music.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #33 of 34
I reported as I experienced things. I have a MacBook Air the only thing I wished while listening to HD800 from my MacBook HP out was maybe more volume. But the difference/ non difference while listening to lossy music was surprising to me aswell. But not many people buy HD800's for listening to lossy mp3 music.

Are you on Spotify premium that streams at 320? If so something in your chain isn't right. I take even something like the hd 650 which is far less picky than the hd 800 and plug it into my computer through a creative x fi or even the realtek onboard sound it's certainly listenable. If I hook it into my amp and dac while playing the same song the sound is much more full and resolving. So if it's the same sound quality for you I have a feeling that you have some equipment that is not doing the hd 800 justice.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #34 of 34
Yep have a Spotify premium account. I don't know what it could be the M-DAC and Jazz are only 4 months old. And seems to be working fine. Although I did buy the M-Dac as open boxed. But really I cant seem to find the difference on Spotify. Maybe the Macbook Air has a really good DAC. But as I said the difference becomes only apparent on Flac and Hi-Res. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back