Ideal Headphone (HD800/Audeze) music, suggestions,please
Nov 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #92 of 443

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #94 of 443

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #95 of 443

I had forgotten about this one!

A rare reunion of the far-flung Brubeck family, this attractive CD came about by sheer accident. A massive New York snowstorm caused the cancellation of a classical two-piano recording session and the Brubeck clan, then celebrating the holiday season at Dave's home in Wilton, Connecticut, happened to be available on short notice. Here the quartet -- DaveDariusChris and Dan -- becomes a quintet for the first time with addition of cellist Matthew, whose straight classical technique adds a brooding dimension to the group in certain optimum settings, though he remains somewhat of an outsider. As do most of Dave's Telarc albums, this one has an autumnal tone as the mellowing septuagenarian pianist plays the wise old master, playing in a more lyrical, reflective manner, revisiting past work and contributing a few new tunes. When Dave and Darius play together, Dave still remains the more immediately striking personality while Darius leans more toward mainstream jazz styles. On the relaxed two-piano blues duet "Dave 'n Darius," the two blend well together without overloading the sound; Darius even adroitly picks up the ball where his dad's ideas leave off. Chris contributes most of the humorous touches, whether on bass or bass trombone, and Dan's drums offer mostly subtle support and cooking New Orleans funk (in 7/4 time!) on the sole non-Brubeck tune, "Sweet Georgia Brown."Dave Brubeck's Indian summer continues to be an unusually fruitful one.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #96 of 443
this is really good on HD800 

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #98 of 443
Is it just my ears or does singers sound better when recorded live?
I prefer the sound of the voice of  Alison Krauss, mentioned above, when recorded live more than her studio albums, and the same goes for Carmen Gomes.
The sound of the voice is so more ''real'' .
Or does singers like Alison Krauss and Carmen Gomes need an audience to really get them going?

Quote:
  If I may suggest one more Sound Liaison album;
''Thousand Shades of Blue'' is one of those albums where everything comes together,  music, sound and the sense of being there, present, right in front of the musicians.
My favorite track is Gasoa Blue, telling the legend of Ines and Pedro. But the whole album is a unique listening experience.\

http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/92-carmen-gomes-inc-sss1-flac

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #99 of 443
Here is one thats real good. Drums sound excellent especially those cymbal sounds 

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #101 of 443
  And there is a making of video!

Whats he got on those cymbals - screws in em or something? The sustain is crazy!!

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #102 of 443
  Whats he got on those cymbals - screws in em or something? The sustain is crazy!!

Sizzle cymbals. Rivets , nails or some other method to make it :wink:

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #103 of 443
Is it just my ears or does singers sound better when recorded live?

It's because of less modifications done to the original recording, it's closer to being just raw material. Studio albums are mostly screwed up by studio engineers who do way too much to the original recordings and more often than not totally ruin the sound, because most of them have no clue about what they're doing, they just add a whole lot of eq's, reverbs and all kinds of effects that end up making the final recording, especially vocals, sound unnatural. You should never ever have to EQ or do anything to a vocal (or any instrument) if you record it properly with proper equipment.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #104 of 443
But is it not the same engineers mixing a live album and a studio album?
And I should think that when the artist are playing live, one needs more eq to accommodate the hall, and the problem of microphones picking up the sound of instruments standing next to the actual source etc.
I think it has more to do with an energy that gets created whenever an attentive audience is present.
Just like some people are really good at giving a public speech and some writers are terrible speakers.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #105 of 443

[..] Studio albums are mostly screwed up by studio engineers who do way too much to the original recordings and more often than not totally ruin the sound, because most of them have no clue about what they're doing, they just add a whole lot of eq's, reverbs and all kinds of effects that end up making the final recording, especially vocals, sound unnatural. You should never ever have to EQ or do anything to a vocal (or any instrument) if you record it properly with proper equipment.

Some albums have extended/ultimate/collector editions which often include demo versions or alternate takes which are much less processed. If this is your thing, then try collecting these editions and listening exclusively to the bonus disks. Insulting professionals is not the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back