Idea to make Grado SR60 quieter for person close to me ?
Feb 6, 2007 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

lerio

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, i just ordered a Grado SR60, and i read that he can really make too much noise for person close the to the listener, i believe a simple coverage on the outside should resolve this problem, anybody tested that ? know a place who sell a this kind of stuff ?

Thank's
rs1smile.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 22
If you have a roommate or significant other, buy them a pair of headphones, too. They won't notice your music, or at least they'll understand.

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpeggio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will not work. If you cover the outside it will sound like crap.
If you want quiet headphones buy closed cans.

I have a closed headphone and bought this one because i wanted a open headphone for long listening, maybe i didn't understand it right, the sound of Grado sr60 who may derange person close to the listener come from the "Vented diaphragm" (outside that's why i asked about a eventual coverage) 1 on this pics, or like any open heapdhone on place 2 ?

Thank's

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a closed headphone and bought this one because i wanted a open headphone for long listening, maybe i didn't understand it right, the sound of Grado sr60 who may derange person close to the listener come from the "Vented diaphragm" (outside that's why i asked about a eventual coverage) 1 on this pics, or like any open heapdhone on place 2 ?

Thank's

Like any other open headphones the sound leaks out of "1", and if you cover that they will sound like ****.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 22
So maybe i don't use the right term (english is not my first language) for me closed if this

open is this

But this open model have what i wanted to add to Grado sr60, something on the outside who won't let too much sound get out, it's like a plactic, where Grado have many little hole

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 22
I'm afraid you might be mistaken about the difference between open and closed.
Open headphones have an open (grill usually) backside/outside. Like the back of the Grado.
Closed headphones have a closed outside shell
the model of the earpads has nothing to do with it

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid you might be mistaken about the difference between open and closed.
Open headphones have an open (grill usually) backside/outside. Like the back of the Grado.
Closed headphones have a closed outside shell
the model of the earpads has nothing to do with it

So this is a closed heaphone ?

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this is a closed heaphone ?

Yes the back of the headphones are closed. What you are considering open is circumaural and close is supraaural, wich means around the ears and over the ears. But closed headphones mean that they have a sealed back so they don't leak as opposed to open wich have an open back and leak as a mother.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 22
Yes, both the Sennheiser and the Sony you pictured are closed.

edit: too slow
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 22
Ok thank's i learn something today
wink.gif

I just hope he won't be too noisy for my familly
icon10.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you are considering open is circumaural and close is supraaural, wich means around the ears and over the ears.

So http://headphones.warzone.org/ don't apply this distinction, i just try a search selecting first circumaural and supraaural and both give result with what i called "closed" (like the AKG K 340)
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobayrasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Idea to make Grado SR60 quieter for person close to me ?

Turn them down some.
k1000smile.gif

Give your buddy earprotection. Trust me it's the only way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back