idea for stereo amplifier case
Oct 2, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used my new toy:

cuttingpanelsrg0.jpg

The Stanley 20-800 miter saw. I then trued the edges with a flat file followed by 220 and 320 grit sandpaper to get rid of the cut marks.

Yeah, I used a hand drill to do everything. When working with aluminum I always use masking tape, digital calipers, and a 0.3mm mechanical pencil for the layout work. I took a tiny little slot screwdriver and grinded the tip to a sharp point and I use it to precisely mark the center of where I want to drill. Once I have the spot marked with a little indention I use an automatic center punch to turn it into a little crater. That little crater keeps a 1/16" drill bit from wondering and actually gives pretty dam good accuracy. Then of course I just work my way up drill sizes to get the size I need.

The screws are stainless steel 1/4"-20 x 1" button head socket cap screws from Home Depot. The threaded inserts are from HD too. Here's one being screwed into a piece of oak:

insertdetailyb1.jpg

i see that your good friend Henry Weinhard was there for moral support. he's quite a pal
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see that your good friend Henry Weinhard was there for moral support. he's quite a pal
tongue.gif

Yeah, he always seems to stop by as soon as I start building something.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #18 of 18
Cast concrete! got to be the best enclosure no resonance.

Make a plywood form. position dowels (bits of pencil) for the holes.

Fill with concrete, weave it on the washing machine (running) to shake out any bubbles.

Perfect enclosure. You could cast isolation spikes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back