ID3 Tag Organization
Jan 13, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 29
Don't know much about id3 tags. I always see an error messge about them. Using eac, flac.

Seems like this is the same problem as making a database to find CDs. I might want to listen to a particular artist or composer and want to find all the CDs with them on it. Next, I might want to hear a particular composition, and maybe I have four renditions, two of which are by the same orchestra in different years.

If I sort some CDs by artist, it's hard to find them or remember I have them when I'm looking by composition, and vice verse. Seems like that's what a database would be good for. Same thing as ID3 tags.

So add to that list composer, artist(s), year, and orchestra. If you're really serious, you may have to add covers, or as jazz and classical people call them, orchestrations, variations, etc.

Then there's those nasty CDs that feature multiple composers and artists. Yuck!

Hey! All I want to do is find a tune to listen to and it would be nice to be able to browse what I have without picking out a bunch of CDs and reading the labels.

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #17 of 29
I'm sorta in the process of properly tagging and renaming all my music, but I have so much of it that it's a very time consuming and tedious project, so I only pick it back up again every so often.
I sort mine as D:\Music\Artist\(Year) Album\#. Title

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by westies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorta in the process of properly tagging and renaming all my music, but I have so much of it that it's a very time consuming and tedious project, so I only pick it back up again every so often.
I sort mine as D:\Music\Artist\(Year) Album\#. Title

w00t! This is exactly how I sort mine as well (except on C drive).

My collection is pretty well tagged...occasionally I find an album that lists the tracks in the incorrect order because of a discrepancy in the 'composer' or 'genre' field which is really annoying, but pretty easily fixed. I've just been using itunes to do all my tagging. It was pretty horrible at first but the changes they've made to the tagging structure in 7.x is actually pretty decent....... but now that I see how many people use dedicated tagging programs perhaps I'll look into one.

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it gets amazingly difficult when you're really anal about tags and a good deal of your music is classical...

Ugh, yeah...for the course I'm taking, about half the playlist is classical, which I know nothing about, so I have to trust the prof's tagging scheme, which doesn't exactly jive with mine. Oh well, it's only for the next 13 weeks.

Another thing I don't like having is only one song from an album. If I like one song, chances are, I'll like most of the rest of the album. It's weird when people have like 10000 artists and 10000 songs, IMO.

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #20 of 29
Jan 14, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 29
I'd prefer MusicBrainz to a regular tagger. Just click and drop, and musicbrainz checks the audio signature of the files and cluster and tag them from there.. Made me discover I had an album that was half remastered files and half originals (meaning I had to rip my original CD to fix the problem).

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, yeah...for the course I'm taking, about half the playlist is classical, which I know nothing about, so I have to trust the prof's tagging scheme, which doesn't exactly jive with mine. Oh well, it's only for the next 13 weeks.

Another thing I don't like having is only one song from an album. If I like one song, chances are, I'll like most of the rest of the album. It's weird when people have like 10000 artists and 10000 songs, IMO.

haha - good luck man and yeah - for most of the non-album stuff i have i've resorted, temporarily, to "Various Artists" although eventually i'll fix that and just put "Misc" for the Album space

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that you need help; I wouldn't know, but this is how I do it

untitled-5.jpg

(Composer field is out of view)

I am new to classical music though - so I'm still trying to get albums, artist and composer filled in correctly and get my head around what should be in each field

mm - yeah i like to carry over info from each song instead of just listing it in the beginning and then working with the movements - and since i have a lot i've split "genre" up into things like "Classical - Violin Works" and "Classical - Chamber Works" and stuff - and i never know what to do with composer - most of my stuff has both first and last names right now (i mean, what if you have JS and CPE Bach? can't just have a regular Bach and then a CPE Bach) and then what I might do in the future is have last name comma first name

and then what about orchestras with different conductors and all, and i also tend to stick to roman numerals and i add punctuation after abbreviations and then sometimes things get too long (longer than 256 characters) so i have to go back and rework all this bullcrap and create a new system that works for everything and it's just really aggravating haha but i've managed to work something out like:

still needs some tweaking...yeah im pretty anal

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #23 of 29
kukrisna you could have optimised those images....

I use both tags and file using MediaMonkey, as some of my players use filetree and others use tags. In generally my tags are in good shape, anot perfect, but usuable. MediaMonkey is handy in that it can build the filetree from the tags or tags from the filetree.

I have also noticed that most iPod uses tags are in terrible shape, and leave their iPods set to shuffle, or just get used to some bizarre way of remembering where everything is. I think while the average joe can use iTunes, most can't use it properly, and to be honest its a bit weak when it comes to tagging.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #24 of 29
Actually could someone with a bit of knowledge explain something to me

Back when I tried iTunes and used it to tag files, I remember non-iTunes software couldn't read the tags. Since then I use MP3 Tag. Apparently both write same version tags, but MP3 Tag does it perfectly and is recognised in all programs
confused.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kukrisna you could have optimised those images....

I use both tags and file using MediaMonkey, as some of my players use filetree and others use tags. In generally my tags are in good shape, anot perfect, but usuable. MediaMonkey is handy in that it can build the filetree from the tags or tags from the filetree.

I have also noticed that most iPod uses tags are in terrible shape, and leave their iPods set to shuffle, or just get used to some bizarre way of remembering where everything is. I think while the average joe can use iTunes, most can't use it properly, and to be honest its a bit weak when it comes to tagging.

haha - i dont use iTunes - i did at one point - all of my stuff was ALAC because i never installed rockbox, but now i have! so im slowly converting everything back to FLAC...very slowly

and yeah i suppose they could be optimized but i like the aesthetics of my tags...go figure...

Jan 15, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 29
I tend to play by genre and using the freedb tags makes me batty, I always have to go and correct them.

I've got Anthrax tracks that someone tagged as 'classical' as an example.

I always rip Artist/Album/NN-title.mp3

I've taken to simply putting in a higher level dir for Rock/Metal/Classical/Jazz etc and making .m3u playlist files to get around the crazy tag errors.

What I haven't tracked down is a commandline util to globally rename the genre of a recursive dir.

Something like

Code:

Code:
[left]for i in * ; do find $i -type f -name "*.mp3" -exec <tag util> -genre $i {} \; done[/left]

Run that in music/ if you have your categories under that parent as in Rock/ Jazz/ Metal/

There's likely more than one thing to use as <tag util> I just haven't looked yet.

Most of the GUIs that permit mass selections, get all buggy if you have a few that are named correctly in the column you are trying to change for the rest of the selected files.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

and yeah i suppose they could be optimized but i like the aesthetics of my tags...go figure...

I said your graphics are too big in file size, not dimensions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsqueak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to play by genre and using the freedb tags makes me batty, I always have to go and correct them.

I've got Anthrax tracks that someone tagged as 'classical' as an example.

Ditto, I always endup retagging something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsqueak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always rip Artist/Album/NN-title.mp3

I've taken to simply putting in a higher level dir for Rock/Metal/Classical/Jazz etc and making .m3u playlist files to get around the crazy tag errors.

What I haven't tracked down is a commandline util to globally rename the genre of a recursive dir.....

Most of the GUIs that permit mass selections, get all buggy if you have a few that are named correctly in the column you are trying to change for the rest of the selected files.

I dunno if its what you mean, but MediaMonkey can change the tags of all subdirs by using the "all" node on a directory. So at one swoop you can change "Rock" to "Rock Albums". Maybe thats not what you mean though. I have mine organised as Genre/Artist/Album. But I use a lot of my own Genres like "Hard Rock Albums" or "Hard Rock Various".

far from perfect but a handy app.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said your graphics are too big in file size, not dimensions.

ohhhh - whoops - sorry didnt realize the big size
frown.gif
- first time i've posted a pic so kind of a noob in that area - i'll try to fix that or link it

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

ohhhh - whoops - sorry didnt realize the big size
frown.gif
- first time i've posted a pic so kind of a noob in that area - i'll try to fix that or link it

Its always nice to be bandwidth friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back