ID3 Tag Organization
Jan 12, 2007 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
How many here have perfectly organized ID3 tags on their mp3 players/computer? I find that whenever I pick up someone's iPod (as I compulsively do as a means of seeing what they're really like
evil_smiley.gif
), their tags are all over the place, making the menus look sloppy. It looks even worse on iTunes. Or maybe it's just me....I'm totally OCD on this, to the point where Artist, Album, Track Number, Album Number, Year, Genre and Artwork are all immaculately filled out. What's more, just yesterday I was putting music onto my iTunes for a course (Bruckner to Heavy Metal...how's that for a course?!!) and it wasn't up to my standards, making me quite frustrated
rolleyes.gif
. Yeah...I have too much time on my hands!

Jan 12, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 29
I'm pretty anal about mine. I use "Tag & Rename".

Jan 12, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 29
Mostly correct, but every now and then I find something I didn't tag right first time. Then I use The Godfather.

there's a plethora of mp3 taggers out there, I've used the foobar one too, that's good when ripping I've found

keeping track of the duplicate mp3's i have of flac's is gonna be fun, I'm gonna have to reorganise a lot when my squeezebox arrives. Not looking forward to that.

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 29
I'm too lazy to tag my stuff, I just buy file tree organized players.

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 29
it has to be perfect for me too... sometimes i point out to people "why are there 3 tim mcgraw folders. which one of them is the better mcgraw?" and stuff like that...

for me, it needs to be

Artist - Song.mp3

nothing else at all. no information other than that. i don't listen to bands by album, especially on the go.... it's always on shuffle for me, no way im going to fiddle around with my ipod in public. someone has already tried to mug me, luckily i was about 5" taller and i have a pretty good right hook *flexes*

Jan 13, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 29
My tags are nearly 100% clean. I mainly use foobar and Mp3Tag. Really, there isn't that much re-tagging to be done if the information is correct when you rip in EAC.

For my part, I don't really have alot of unique tags, just the normal artist, album, track, track number , year, genre tags.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 29
I use foobar exclusively for all my tagging needs. The latest versions also have the ability to look up the tags via freedb.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 29
All my tags are correct. I even go the extra step with having the BPM(beats per minute) lyrics and art work on all my files. I do this as I import each cd. I can't deal when a song has incorrect tags. Drives me nuts!

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it has to be perfect for me too... sometimes i point out to people "why are there 3 tim mcgraw folders. which one of them is the better mcgraw?" and stuff like that...

for me, it needs to be

Artist - Song.mp3

nothing else at all. no information other than that. i don't listen to bands by album, especially on the go.... it's always on shuffle for me, no way im going to fiddle around with my ipod in public. someone has already tried to mug me, luckily i was about 5" taller and i have a pretty good right hook *flexes*

Same here...it drives me nuts when people's iPod has like 8 different artist entries for the same artist. I mean, how hard is it to change it!!

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 29
it gets amazingly difficult when you're really anal about tags and a good deal of your music is classical...

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 29
Anyone tried tagging with MusicBrainz? Works well with the albums and songs that are in the MusicBrainz database. Just wish more people would use it so it one day can be 100% useful and tag all my MP3s automatically.

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it gets amazingly difficult when you're really anal about tags and a good deal of your music is classical...

Not that you need help; I wouldn't know, but this is how I do it

untitled-5.jpg

(Composer field is out of view)

I am new to classical music though - so I'm still trying to get albums, artist and composer filled in correctly and get my head around what should be in each field

Users who are viewing this thread

Back