Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Apr 26, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #1,021 of 1,546
Thanks @JonT . I have had those same conversations with David Shaw. First, he told me that we would hear flavor differences up to the tolerances of the tubes. Which is 10%. Then he told me he couldn't hear any difference with tube rolling. I agree with what is written above, there are differences and although David might be protecting his branded tubes, moving to the right compliment of NOS tubes can really make a wonderful difference with the amp. You don't need to break the bank on tubes. One of the best ways to not break the bank is to switch from 12AX7 to 12AT7 in the driver slot. The 12AT7 NOS tubes are exponentially less money than their 12AX7 counterpart and they are also 40% less gain which gives you more volume play and better dynamics. Something I learned from @jonathan c . In addition, you can find wonderful 6SN7s online for under $200 for a matched pair. You just have to hunt a bit and make sure you are using a reputable seller who provides the testing info. Just saying it is NOS isn't enough. Seeing the test figures is very important to know you are getting a true NOS tube.
Thanks everyone for useful information. I am tempted to try 12AT7 to give me more range on the volume. The V2 Stealths only require approx 1/4 of the volume range before they get loud. Will no doubt get some more 6SN7/CV181 tubes moving forward. I have the HP8 hooked up to my Holo Spring 3, seems to be a good pairing so far, very natural.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #1,022 of 1,546
Thanks everyone for useful information. I am tempted to try 12AT7 to give me more range on the volume. The V2 Stealths only require approx 1/4 of the volume range before they get loud. Will no doubt get some more 6SN7/CV181 tubes moving forward. I have the HP8 hooked up to my Holo Spring 3, seems to be a good pairing so far, very natural.
I have had more luck with 6SN7s vs the CV-181. The CV-181 doesn't seat as well in the amp for me. They play just fine, but a get a smidge of noise as they are a touch loose in my amp. I have the PSvane Ceramic Bottom David Shaws and they are always a bit loose. Just my experience. But, the sound with the PSvane Ceramics is wonderful.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #1,023 of 1,546
I have had more luck with 6SN7s vs the CV-181. The CV-181 doesn't seat as well in the amp for me. They play just fine, but a get a smidge of noise as they are a touch loose in my amp. I have the PSvane Ceramic Bottom David Shaws and they are always a bit loose. Just my experience. But, the sound with the PSvane Ceramics is wonderful.
Has anyone had any problems removing the tubes. I briefly tried to remove the CV181's & they seemed very tight & I was reluctant to force the issue as I have no other tubes to use currently. I gently rocked the tubes but they did not seem to release at all.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #1,024 of 1,546
Today is a work from home play day with the AO, HP8 and my Raytheon VT-231s and the Brimar Footscray. It has been a minute since I've listened to the AO. I have been enjoying my Pearl White and AC a little too much with sporadic commercial breaks with the Solitaire P-SE on the CFA3, but I need a musical day full of midrange magic and front to back imaging perfection.

My Auteur OG is not getting a lot of time these days. The AO and HP8 is my absolute favorite musical experience right now in my system and has been since I got it.
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,025 of 1,546
FWIW, the HP8 is really showing me things about my new Caldera. I know & value everything solid state does for these and other headphones...that's not going to change. But I'm learning I don't completely know a headphone until I run it through the HP8 for hours.

This amp has way more capability and capacity than I first thought. Plus tube rolling (which always changes up sound to some extent) can pay off explosively*** well with the HP8.
*** (?) 😳💥🔥🚑

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,026 of 1,546
A few 6SN7s to consider if you get this amp...

Ken Rad VT-231
Raytheon VT-231
RCA Grey Glass
Raytheon 6SN7GT (1950s)
RCA 6SN7GTB Narrow Gaps (1959-1961)
Any RCA 6SN7GT or GTB from the 1950s
Sylvania Brown Base 6SN7WTA or GTBs (1950s)
Westinghouse Golds 6SN7GTs (1950s)
Tung Sol Brown Base 6SN7GTB or GT Military Issue (1950s)
The RCA 5692s or CBS Hytron 5692s (These are more than I will pay)
The Hytron Military Issue 6SN7GTB (late 40s early 50s)

There are so many good 6SN7s ranging from $125-$250. I don't think you need to spend more than that. The holy grail 5692s or the Tung Sol Black Beauties will run you 2-3x as much. I set my limit right around $200 for a matched pair, but prefer to find stuff in the $150 range. I like the hunt so I am constantly looking and pull the trigger when I find something that I can't pass up. I mostly look on eBay with sellers I trust. Happy to send you the sellers I use... @jonathan c knows way more about this stuff than I. Almost everything I know has come down from him.***
*** ?? just an enthusiast in Western Pennsylvania, not Mount Olympus…🤷🏻‍♂️🤓.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,027 of 1,546
*** ?? just an enthusiast in Western Pennsylvania, not Mount Olympus…🤷🏻‍♂️🤓.
Enthusiast with lots of knowledge. You are the Zeus of tubes…haha

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #1,028 of 1,546
Enthusiast with lots of knowledge. You are the Zeus of tubes…haha
… far from it… to paraphrase John the Baptist (oh oh!): ‘there are Head-Fiers before me whose amp tube sockets I am unworthy to clean’.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,029 of 1,546
I've had the same seating issues with the PSvane Ceramic Bottom David Shaws in my Stereo 30SE and similarly the Shuguang Treasures seated poorly in my HP8 - but the PSvane CV181-T-MkII seated rock solid.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,030 of 1,546
Has anyone had any problems removing the tubes. I briefly tried to remove the CV181's & they seemed very tight & I was reluctant to force the issue as I have no other tubes to use currently. I gently rocked the tubes but they did not seem to release at all.
Yes - more force than I was comfortable with to push the CV181s in, and the same worry getting them out.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,031 of 1,546
… far from it… to paraphrase John the Baptist (oh oh!): ‘there are Head-Fiers before me whose amp tube sockets I am unworthy to clean’.
If this were a restaurant hierarchy I would be a prep cook.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,033 of 1,546
Apr 26, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,034 of 1,546
I have said before that a two-chassis HP8 would be ‘ionospheric’: Chassis #1 would have the three tube configuration of the current HP8; Chassis #2 would be a shielded linear power supply. The two chassis would by linked by sheathed / braided silver ‘umbilical’ cord … ☺️☁️☁️☁️

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #1,035 of 1,546
I have said before that a two-chassis HP8 would be ‘ionospheric’: Chassis #1 would have the three tube configuration of the current HP8; Chassis #2 would be a shielded linear power supply. The two chassis would by linked by sheathed / braided silver ‘umbilical’ cord … ☺️☁️☁️☁️
Where do I sign up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back