Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Jul 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #481 of 1,535
Well, as I said above I now own two of these babies. The first one I bought that is now being serviced was already used. I can say the brand new model I just installed certainly looks sharper, has even less a noise floor.. black as black background, no occasional anomalous noises, and according to the technician check sheet has even better channel balance.

I get the impression Icon is constantly evaluating and improving its product in an organic fashion, not saving little changes for major reissues or new editions.

After 20 hours of break-in this one sounds GREAT even with stock caps. But I won’t fully enjoy it until I finish the repair of my original HP8 MKII.

Here’s the new kiddo.. she’s a beaut. Running a late 1950’s RCA 5751 black plate triple mica along with pair of WWII era Tung Sol VT-99 / 6F8G.

Oh and I’m not as stupid as last time; I have my socket saver in the 9 pin socket. :)

2lkplyg.jpg

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #482 of 1,535
Well, as I said above I now own two of these babies. The first one I bought that is now being serviced was already used. I can say the brand new model I just installed certainly looks sharper, has even less a noise floor.. black as black background, no occasional anomalous noises, and according to the technician check sheet has even better channel balance.

I get the impression Icon is constantly evaluating and improving its product in an organic fashion, not saving little changes for major reissues or new editions.

After 20 hours of break-in this one sounds GREAT even with stock caps. But I won’t fully enjoy it until I finish the repair of my original HP8 MKII.

Here’s the new kiddo.. she’s a beaut. Running a late 1950’s RCA 5751 black plate triple mica along with pair of WWII era Tung Sol VT-99 / 6F8G.

Oh and I’m not as stupid as last time; I have my socket saver in the 9 pin socket. :)

2lkplyg.jpg

Beautiful! So, I'll share a bit about my Icon HP amp.

It's treating me very well. As I previously stated, I did do a coupling capacitor upgrade. I went out and bought a good quality Mundorf silver in oil cap and took it to a local shop to have the caps soldered in. The engineer saved the stock caps so I could see the difference. The stock caps were the size of navy beans. Very small. The caps that I replaced them with 3 times the size. I asked the engineer about this difference and he thought that this was surely a good upgrade to make. He believed that the stock caps would be a point of congestion and the new caps would allow for more current flow and more importantly a better sound.

Tube wise, I first began with a Chinese made 6SN7 by Sophia. I think the tube was ok but I found the sound to be grainy. After a few months I decided to venture out into the world of NOS tubes and bought a pair of Sylvania tubes from the late 50's. I also upgraded the 12AX7/ECC83 tube to a Mazda France tube, silver anode, from the mid 60"s. This is what I'm currently running and I'm very happy. A full warm sound, not too lush. Very detailed and focused.

Which brings me to ask a question of you.

How do you like these tube equivalents? I was totally unaware that the S6N7 could be changed out for another tube. I'm also noticing the tall bottle. How does this upgrade effect the sound? I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts. Also, would you share what parts are involved in your tube upgrade? If I wanted to try this out myself, what equipment would I need to seek out?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #483 of 1,535
Beautiful! So, I'll share a bit about my Icon HP amp.

It's treating me very well. As I previously stated, I did do a coupling capacitor upgrade. I went out and bought a good quality Mundorf silver in oil cap and took it to a local shop to have the caps soldered in. The engineer saved the stock caps so I could see the difference. The stock caps were the size of navy beans. Very small. The caps that I replaced them with 3 times the size. I asked the engineer about this difference and he thought that this was surely a good upgrade to make. He believed that the stock caps would be a point of congestion and the new caps would allow for more current flow and more importantly a better sound.

Tube wise, I first began with a Chinese made 6SN7 by Sophia. I think the tube was ok but I found the sound to be grainy. After a few months I decided to venture out into the world of NOS tubes and bought a pair of Sylvania tubes from the late 50's. I also upgraded the 12AX7/ECC83 tube to a Mazda France tube, silver anode, from the mid 60"s. This is what I'm currently running and I'm very happy. A full warm sound, not too lush. Very detailed and focused.

Which brings me to ask a question of you.

How do you like these tube equivalents? I was totally unaware that the S6N7 could be changed out for another tube. I'm also noticing the tall bottle. How does this upgrade effect the sound? I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts. Also, would you share what parts are involved in your tube upgrade? If I wanted to try this out myself, what equipment would I need to seek out?

Yes you can run 6SN7 equivalents. For excellent sound that costs very little, check out the Russian 6h8c / 6N8S tubes. Stay in the 1950's and 60's though. Meltz versions are the expensive rare highly sought versions, but I use tubes made in the Russian 'FOTON' factory from the 1950's. You can get a dozen true NOS package seals never been broken for 20 bucks. These Russian tubes are the exact equivalent to American 6SN7.

The predecessor to the 6SN7 here is the US in the 6F8G. They are essentially the same tubes spec-wise. They are much larger physically, and have the ground pin is on top of the tube. Adapters to use these in the 6SN7 slot are ubiquitous on eBay. Only downside to the adapters is they come from China and make take a few extra days of shipment.

When everyone was going crazy over 6SN7, sending the prices through the roof for NOS, savvy tube collectors were grabbing up the 6F8G. Unfortunately, the collecting world caught up, and now the 6F8G has gotten much more rare and expensive. But for my ear, they are preferable to the 6SN7. The still have all the tubey goodness of the 6SN7, but seem to possess a bit more sparkle up top and make for a more 'live' sounding stage. They also seem to be a bit better at micro detail; delineating mid-range detail on a tick higher level.

I own lots of top notch 6SN7 and 6F8G. My favorites of each are the World War II era versions. Which means look for their military designations... VT-231 for 6SN7 and VT-99 for 6F8G.

RCA is a reasonable jump on spot for 6F8G. Sylvania ones sound nice, too. The most coveted, similar to the 6SN7 collectors, is the Tung Sol VT-99. They come with a couple different plate styles, but as long as they are the same in both spots, I don't fret over that as long as they are well matched and both VT-99. It may take a couple C bills or more to get into Tung Sol.

But again, RCA sounds great and you can get a nice pair of VT-99 for under $100.

Other ones that are rare but sound good are National Union and Ken Rad. Both in good shape (especially two reasonably well matched examples) are getting harder and harder to come by.

Now on the flip side, some issues you may run into with them is poor grounding/noise and microphonics. The next generation 6SN7 was improved in both regards.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #489 of 1,535
Hey guys, I just bought an HP8 and it is downright fantastic paired with my benchmark dac2 and the sennheiser hd800 and hd800S. Loving it. I also bought three different 12AX7s from the tubestore for some rolling fun. Now back to peter gabriel's secret world...

I also like my HP8 mkii very much.
I use ShuGuang Treasure vacuum tubes CV181-Z and the sound is rich, full body but not sluggish with good sense of soundstage and impact, which is better than the stock tubes. Compared to my other set of Psvane UK-6SN7 HiFi series tubes, HiFi series give sound like transistor more on the lean side which may suit some orchestra music.

Nov 22, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #490 of 1,535
I also like my HP8 mkii very much.
I use ShuGuang Treasure vacuum tubes CV181-Z and the sound is rich, full body but not sluggish with good sense of soundstage and impact, which is better than the stock tubes. Compared to my other set of Psvane UK-6SN7 HiFi series tubes, HiFi series give sound like transistor more on the lean side which may suit some orchestra music.
Where did you pick up your tubes? I'd like to order some online.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #492 of 1,535
Where did you pick up your tubes? I'd like to order some online.

I bought them from China online store Taobao but you can also try below Amazon links:

Shuguang Treasure Cv181-z Vacuum Tube Matched Pair Replace Cv181 Cv181-t 6sn7
by Salience Hi-Fi Audio
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011QZ4N1O/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_O6.1DbDYQ8PH6

Matched Pair Psvane UK-6SN7 HIFI series Vacuum Tubes
by Salience Hi-Fi Audio
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9T5ZHW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Wda2DbEQTSBYM

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #493 of 1,535
I bought them from China online store Taobao but you can also try below Amazon links:

Shuguang Treasure Cv181-z Vacuum Tube Matched Pair Replace Cv181 Cv181-t 6sn7
by Salience Hi-Fi Audio
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011QZ4N1O/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_O6.1DbDYQ8PH6

Matched Pair Psvane UK-6SN7 HIFI series Vacuum Tubes
by Salience Hi-Fi Audio
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9T5ZHW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Wda2DbEQTSBYM
I spent enough for now, but I've bookmarked the amazon page. Thank you.

Nov 24, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #495 of 1,535
Yes I've always liked this amp with my HD 800 phones. I need to use this amp more, it's been neglected for a while. I have a really nice stash of tubes for this amp as well so one night, I'll need to get re-aquainted with the amp. Part of the problem is that I have a really nice DNA stratus amp too, so that tends to get most use.

I really do like the Icon though....it is a very nice amp that brings something different to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back