Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Sep 12, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #406 of 1,499
Sorry to resurrect a thread fellas, but I'm eyeballing an HP8 for my PS1000s and Alpha Primes. Anyone currently enjoying theirs with Grados? Wanting to be sure that the 32ohm rating of the PS won't be cause for intolerable noise from the Icon. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

Very good with either Fidelio X2 or DT880 32 ohms, no hum issues

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #407 of 1,499
I find hum too high on my Grado 325e even at low setting. However, I haven't got optimum placement of my gear so it's possible things could be improved. I would not write off using them. I suspect there will always be a little hum with Grado, it just depends on your tolerance levels. Sorry can't be more definitive.

I haven't experienced any hum or hiss even with my sensitive IEM's. Drop dead quiet.

I hear a tiny amount of hum at min volume on the shure 1540, I can't hear anything though even with very quiet listening.
Icon has excellent customer service speaking from experience if your concerned.

Very good with either Fidelio X2 or DT880 32 ohms, no hum issues

Thanks for the input fellas. May be time to pull the trigger on this guy instead of lusting after a WA22...

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #408 of 1,499
One more Q for the jury: What other variants will the Icon take in lieu of the 6SN7? I'll admit my ignorance when it comes to understanding tube current/heater/voltage ratings, requirements, etc. Will the Icon run 6J5, 12SN7, 6DJ8, 6F8Gs? 

Just trying to educate myself so I can best play with my new toy:

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #409 of 1,499
  I just got the Icon HP8 Mk II via analogue seduction in the UK. Pretty good price v's the retailers here in the US. It has the David Shaw CV181 tubes and standard caps etc. I thought I'd share my initial impressions.

Initially, I was not crazy about the sound as it seemed  detached / distant somehow. I thought this might be due to the base Chinese 12AX7 tube, but I let things burn in for an entire weekend and wow....what a transformation! I've never heard such a massive change due to burn in! I have a lot of other gear, tube and solid state, but have never heard such a change after burn in (only 72 hrs or so). I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

Anyway, I have ordered some Sylvania Black Plate 6SNWGTA tubes and a gold lion 12ax7 ....will be interesting to see how they sound v's the stock tubes, which are sounding pretty good in their own right. 

I did a comparison with my ifi micro dsd and really there was no comparison in my view. I use the ifi micro dsd with the ibasso DX80 as my travelling rig, which it is great for. However, by comparison, the Icon sounds extremely natural, with much wider sound-stage and great separation. A very neutral sound for tubes, with controlled bass, certainly not in your face. I suspect this amp is perfect for classical music. I suspect tweaking of tubes will bring some extra warmth and bass for those who need it.

I'm using Alpha Prime headphones.....really nice pairing too!

When I get some time, I will compare with my Cavali liquid carbon, which I got recently and also really enjoy.

Would be really interested in your comparison of the HP8 vs the LC if you can share please

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #410 of 1,499
Hey HP8 owners, I'm putting a few of the extra tubes I've used with it up for sale. If you mention this post, I'll offer a special bundle price for the lot. Ken Rad VT231, Genalex and JJ 12AX7s: http://www.head-fi.org/t/821134/ken-rad-vt231-cryo-genalex-12ax7b-jj-12ax7

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #411 of 1,499
After considering the W6 and W6SE, I decided to pull the trigger and order one of these from MD today. It was used in a photo shoot, so I got a discount. I read this entire thread and can't wait to do some tube rolling. I'll be using these with a pair of T90's and my sources are a Rega Apollo CDP and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC. I've been using an original Valhalla and I wanted an amp that would be more flexible with different types of phones.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #412 of 1,499
  After considering the W6 and W6SE, I decided to pull the trigger and order one of these from MD today. It was used in a photo shoot, so I got a discount. I read this entire thread and can't wait to do some tube rolling. I'll be using these with a pair of T90's and my sources are a Rega Apollo CDP and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC. I've been using an original Valhalla and I wanted an amp that would be more flexible with different types of phones.

Great choice! Happy listening!

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #413 of 1,499
  One more Q for the jury: What other variants will the Icon take in lieu of the 6SN7? I'll admit my ignorance when it comes to understanding tube current/heater/voltage ratings, requirements, etc. Will the Icon run 6J5, 12SN7, 6DJ8, 6F8Gs? 

Just trying to educate myself so I can best play with my new toy:

Hey JoeDoe, Nice setup.

Got one question: Does HP8 have a pre-amp function? (i.e. if I connect it to my active speaker, will the sound get benefit from the tube sounding?) or it is just a loop out? 

Hope you can help me out.

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #417 of 1,499
Hello, anyone come across a squealing noise through headphones whilst using HP8. Begins after 10 mins - any tips to resolve or are we looking at a headphone amp issue. Thanks

The only thing that can create the nose, apart from the amp are the tubes itself.
Try to test it with different tube setup and see if it changes. I had a similar problem with amp noise that was solved by changing the tubes.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #419 of 1,499
There really is no comparison. I think the Icon is way ahead. 

I haven't listened to my Icon in a while, but last weekend I spent quite a bit of time listening via my Ibasso  dx-200. Oh what a beautiful sound!

The Ibasso  is using the latest sabre pro DACs,  so you are getting truly reference level input and the Icon magic leads to a sublime listening experience. I was using both my HD800's and my Ether Flows and I'd be hard pressed to pick a single flaw in the sound. 

The Icon makes everything sound good....not that it glosses over details, but it does help to take the worst of the hard edges off lesser recordings. But...give it a good recording and things really start to get interesting. I listen to a lot of jazz and classical recordings...the most recent was a CD "Children of the light" by Danilo Perez, with Brian Blade and John Patitucci who are arguably one of the finest Jazz trio's of the last decade. Listening on the Icon, every track has you hooked, listening to the twists and turns and Perez's muffled groans and breathing as he plays. You really do feel part of the recording when you listen. 

I've listened to this recording on the Cavali  LC and it sounds fine......but not like this.

I'll need to find more time next weekend!

sbb

Feb 6, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #420 of 1,499
Just found out but the Icon Audio HP8 has risen it's price.

Non Jensen cap is now £849
Jensen Cap version is now £1074

This price is definitely a blow. At the price the icon audio is just overpriced being in the 1k range the hp8 is up against Euforia, Dragon Inspire IHA-1, Auris HA2 SE. The HP8 might be able to stands it ground but it just seems saving up for the bigger boys is the better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back