Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Jan 27, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #391 of 1,500
I just got the Icon HP8 Mk II via analogue seduction in the UK. Pretty good price v's the retailers here in the US. It has the David Shaw CV181 tubes and standard caps etc. I thought I'd share my initial impressions.

Initially, I was not crazy about the sound as it seemed  detached / distant somehow. I thought this might be due to the base Chinese 12AX7 tube, but I let things burn in for an entire weekend and wow....what a transformation! I've never heard such a massive change due to burn in! I have a lot of other gear, tube and solid state, but have never heard such a change after burn in (only 72 hrs or so). I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

Anyway, I have ordered some Sylvania Black Plate 6SNWGTA tubes and a gold lion 12ax7 ....will be interesting to see how they sound v's the stock tubes, which are sounding pretty good in their own right. 

I did a comparison with my ifi micro dsd and really there was no comparison in my view. I use the ifi micro dsd with the ibasso DX80 as my travelling rig, which it is great for. However, by comparison, the Icon sounds extremely natural, with much wider sound-stage and great separation. A very neutral sound for tubes, with controlled bass, certainly not in your face. I suspect this amp is perfect for classical music. I suspect tweaking of tubes will bring some extra warmth and bass for those who need it.

I'm using Alpha Prime headphones.....really nice pairing too!

When I get some time, I will compare with my Cavali liquid carbon, which I got recently and also really enjoy.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #393 of 1,500
Picked up the Musical Paradise MP-D1 tube dac to match up with the HP8, What a combination! Having a lot of fun with this combo...superb!

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #395 of 1,500
  I'm also interested in DAC recommendations for pairing with Icon and HD800.
Why did you end up deciding on MP-D1?

I spent a lot of time researching various options and pulled the trigger on the MP-D1 mainly due to other positive reviews and also the build quality. I upgraded to the Jensen caps and also upgraded the tubes. The combination is superb and (IMHO) is superior to the Cavali Liquid carbon paired with the emotiva stealth DC-1, which is one of my other rigs. This is by no means a bad combo, it's just bettered by the Icon/ MP.

I see Musical Paradise have now released their MP-D2 dac, which is quite a bit more expensive, but looks like an end game dac. I have a DNA Stratus on order currently and think the MP-D2  might be a great option for that amp.

With the Icon and MP-D1 I don't think you'll be disappointed, it's great with classical, jazz, rock and everything else I've listened to. I have the Alpha Prime headphones btw. I think the HD800's would suit the MP-D1 and Icon very well. The sound is detailed, but on the warmer side of neutral, so might tame the HD800's a tad. 

Stuart

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #396 of 1,500
Well, I ordered Mullard long plates for preamp and a pair od VT-231 Sylvania tubes, so I hope that would tame HD800, along with some copper cable upgrade.
Review I found on innerfidelity for DP-1 was not very favorable so I need to test it in my rig before deciding. If I go for MP-D2 then I would probably want to upgrade to a balanced amp.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #397 of 1,500
  Well, I ordered Mullard long plates for preamp and a pair od VT-231 Sylvania tubes, so I hope that would tame HD800, along with some copper cable upgrade.
Review I found on innerfidelity for DP-1 was not very favorable so I need to test it in my rig before deciding. If I go for MP-D2 then I would probably want to upgrade to a balanced amp.

Review on innerfidelity for MP-1 not very favorable? Sounds like exactly the kind of characteristics you'd be looking for with the HD-800?

Sound Quality: MP-D1 DAC
Here again, in a word---SMOOTH. There is plenty of detail, although for sure the MP-D1 is not the last word in detail. Very good detail for its price class, yes, but it does not set any benchmarks here. That said, in terms of musicality, it is one of the best I have heard in the under $1K price range. The sound was utterly unfatiguing, spacious, relaxed, and engaging. The presentation is definitely on the lush/romantic side of things, but not so far to seem like a coloration. It's less "tubey", in absolute terms, than the MP-301 is. There is no issue at all with extension at either frequency extreme. Bass response is very good, and has nice weight to it. Again, it's not the very last word in bass definition, but the bass doesn't seem sloppy or loose in any way without direct comparison to something like my much more extensive Red Wine Audio Isabellina Pro. The mids were natural and organic. I have heard greater overall transparency, but the MP-D1 doesn't come off as thick or veiled, either. At the risk of sounding trite or repeating myself, it comes across as musical in the best use of the term. I simply enjoyed listening to music through it.
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musical-paradise-mp-301-mk-3-vacuum-tube-integratedheadphone-amplifier-and-mp-d1-vacuum-tub-0#QOutoxR1LXPOKhWB.99

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #399 of 1,500
Hmm, yes what I always searching is an extreme value for a price, but that depends on synergistic effects with the rest of my components.
I will wait until my upgrades come, and then I will see if I need a musical or more neutral/transparent DAC for HD800.

Quote:
  Review on innerfidelity for MP-1 not very favorable? Sounds like exactly the kind of characteristics you'd be looking for with the HD-800?

Sound Quality: MP-D1 DAC
Here again, in a word---SMOOTH. There is plenty of detail, although for sure the MP-D1 is not the last word in detail. Very good detail for its price class, yes, but it does not set any benchmarks here. That said, in terms of musicality, it is one of the best I have heard in the under $1K price range. The sound was utterly unfatiguing, spacious, relaxed, and engaging. The presentation is definitely on the lush/romantic side of things, but not so far to seem like a coloration. It's less "tubey", in absolute terms, than the MP-301 is. There is no issue at all with extension at either frequency extreme. Bass response is very good, and has nice weight to it. Again, it's not the very last word in bass definition, but the bass doesn't seem sloppy or loose in any way without direct comparison to something like my much more extensive Red Wine Audio Isabellina Pro. The mids were natural and organic. I have heard greater overall transparency, but the MP-D1 doesn't come off as thick or veiled, either. At the risk of sounding trite or repeating myself, it comes across as musical in the best use of the term. I simply enjoyed listening to music through it.
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musical-paradise-mp-301-mk-3-vacuum-tube-integratedheadphone-amplifier-and-mp-d1-vacuum-tub-0#QOutoxR1LXPOKhWB.99

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #401 of 1,500
HP8 MKII is hooked up with Icon Audio's PS2 using Sennheiser HD600 & 700 @Low setting. Source is Pro-ject RPM 6. TT is grounded to phono. There's a little hum but of course not heard when playing except in quiet parts. The hum is caused by interconnect cable between HP8 & PS2. Has anyone come across a single ended shielded cable solution or any thoughts on how the hum can be reduced. Isn't really space to move items about. Thanks

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #402 of 1,500
Sorry to resurrect a thread fellas, but I'm eyeballing an HP8 for my PS1000s and Alpha Primes. Anyone currently enjoying theirs with Grados? Wanting to be sure that the 32ohm rating of the PS won't be cause for intolerable noise from the Icon. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #403 of 1,500
I find hum too high on my Grado 325e even at low setting. However, I haven't got optimum placement of my gear so it's possible things could be improved. I would not write off using them. I suspect there will always be a little hum with Grado, it just depends on your tolerance levels. Sorry can't be more definitive.

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #404 of 1,500
I haven't experienced any hum or hiss even with my sensitive IEM's. Drop dead quiet.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #405 of 1,500
I hear a tiny amount of hum at min volume on the shure 1540, I can't hear anything though even with very quiet listening.
Icon has excellent customer service speaking from experience if your concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back