Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Jan 31, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #256 of 1,501

I like the WA3 as a fun, sweet sounding amp. I also like the basic WA6, it's solid for the price. I'd say once you go up to the WA6SE the value does not correspond to the price increase. The WA22 is good as well but again too much for what it is. Personally I would take the Icon over all of them based on design, value, and sound. On pure sound quality alone the WA22 is competitive if we don't consider price comparisons. 

The Woo stuff has excellent build quality and looks nicer than my Icon. The newer Icon version with that copper plate is pretty unique looking though, so maybe they are equal at that point. 

Thank you project86 for your post.   Much appreciated. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #259 of 1,501
  Hi All,
Has anybody compared the HP8 Mk2 or current MK2.2 with Woo Audio amps i.e. the WA3, WA6, WA6SE and WA22 ?  

I have owned a WA6 in the past.  At one point running it with tubes that cost more than the amp itself did (black glass Tung-Sol 6SN7 via adapters and EML 274B meshplate rectifier) so I've heard the best the WA6 can offer without modding.

The HP8 is a solid step up overall, not a big leap, but there are clear improvements in low level detail resolution, imaging and overall balance.  The HP8 is a good deal less gainy at the top end too.  One thing to keep in mind is my HP8 has been modded with vintage PIO coupling caps.  A stock HP8 with no cap upgrade is barely superior to the WA6, and in terms of tone and bass impact I would even rate it inferior.  The stock Solen interstage coupling caps in the HP8 are terrible and the amps greatest weakness, put there deliberately to help sell the Jensen cap ugprade if you ask me.

These comments are with the HP8 running the very same black glass Tung-Sol 6SN7s that were once in the WA6, along with a Genalex 12AX7 (hands down the best driver tube for this amp in my opinion).

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #260 of 1,501

I have owned a WA6 in the past.  At one point running it with tubes that cost more than the amp itself did (black glass Tung-Sol 6SN7 via adapters and EML 274B meshplate rectifier) so I've heard the best the WA6 can offer without modding.

The HP8 is a solid step up overall, not a big leap, but there are clear improvements in low level detail resolution, imaging and overall balance.  The HP8 is a good deal less gainy at the top end too.  One thing to keep in mind is my HP8 has been modded with vintage PIO coupling caps.  A stock HP8 with no cap upgrade is barely superior to the WA6, and in terms of tone and bass impact I would even rate it inferior.  The stock Solen interstage coupling caps in the HP8 are terrible and the amps greatest weakness, put there deliberately to help sell the Jensen cap ugprade if you ask me.

These comments are with the HP8 running the very same black glass Tung-Sol 6SN7s that were once in the WA6, along with a Genalex 12AX7 (hands down the best driver tube for this amp in my opinion).

Thank you Xcalibur255 for your posting.   Most informative.   Much appreciated.    

How much did it cost to upgrade to vintage PIO coupling caps ?    Did you fit them yourself ?   

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #261 of 1,501

Thank you Xcalibur255 for your posting.   Most informative.   Much appreciated.    

How much did it cost to upgrade to vintage PIO coupling caps ?    Did you fit them yourself ?   

Yes, the interstage caps are easy to access in this amp.  If you have any soldering experience the job is very simple.

You can technically put any 0.33uF 630V rated cap in there you want, but I like the NOS Soviet K40Y9 PIO caps very much.  Wonderful tone.  You can find them for $20 or so online and they walk all over much more expensive boutique audiophile caps at that price.  I prefer them to the Jensens actually, although the two are more similar than different in presentation.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #262 of 1,501

Yes, the interstage caps are easy to access in this amp.  If you have any soldering experience the job is very simple.

You can technically put any 0.33uF 630V rated cap in there you want, but I like the NOS Soviet K40Y9 PIO caps very much.  Wonderful tone.  You can find them for $20 or so online and they walk all over much more expensive boutique audiophile caps at that price.  I prefer them to the Jensens actually, although the two are more similar than different in presentation.

Thank you Xcalibur255.  Much appreciated.  

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #263 of 1,501
Hi,

Just got the Icon this week
I bought it to pair with my Beyer T1 and I can say that it's a wonderful combination
My Teac HA-501 struggles to feed the T1, while it's very good with AKG K550 and Fidelio X2 low impedance headphones
I previously owned a Schiit Asgard that was quite good with the T1, enough power but lack of clarity, transparency

With the Icon, everything is on top ! the music is super vibrant, airy, full bodied, providing sparkling treble, great full bass, and marvellous midrange (the voices, the guitars !!!)
Actually I'm discovering the fantastic skills of the T1 with this one
It provides plenty of power in the T1's 600 ohms, in comparison with the Teac on which I have to crank up the volume knob really high
It's also very very good with the AKG and X2, using low impedance positions of the switch

But really a magical pairing with the T1 (either with rock'n roll or classical music), don't hesitate if you're looking for a great amp for the Beyer Flagship !

richard

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #265 of 1,501
Hi scriabinist,

i got the newer version with  the power switch on the side
the 2 x 6SN7 are new Tung-sol GTB made in Russia, and the other tube is a JJ ECC83S

note that it's not the more expensive SE version with upgraded tubes and caps ! it's the regular one

Richard

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #266 of 1,501

I have recently purchased the Hp8 MK11 and am super happy with it.  I just never was totally happy with the Wa6se I owned but so far the icon sounds amazing.   Trying to figure out what the very best tube options would be.  Anyone have any experience with the Shuguang Treasure CV181-z ?  Or any other recomendations?  Thanks

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #267 of 1,501

I have recently purchased the Hp8 MK11 and am super happy with it.  I just never was totally happy with the Wa6se I owned but so far the icon sounds amazing.   Trying to figure out what the very best tube options would be.  Anyone have any experience with the Shuguang Treasure CV181-z ?  Or any other recomendations?  Thanks

I'm very interested to know how you think the HP8 mkii compares with the WA6 SE?

I had the Icon a couple of years ago, and really liked it with one exception: there was a little bit of audible background noise.  I tried changing tubes but never managed to get it to have a totally silent / black background.  So I switched to solid state.

However, it's one of those selling decisions which I came to regret.  I recall that the Icon sounded excellent and the solid state amps I tried never really did it for me (e.g. Phonitor).  A couple of months ago I bought a 2nd hand WA6SE, and have been impressed by both the build quality and the completely silent background.  Plus it sounds good.  

Because head fi is a never ending journey I'm tempted to try the Icon again (I'd ask Icon to upgrade the caps), partly because it's a British company and hence to UK buyers probably offers better value to Woo.   And as I say I recall that it sounded great.  From memory my favourite tube pairing was the Mullard MC-1 with Psvane T series mk 2 6SN7s.  

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #268 of 1,501

I'm very interested to know how you think the HP8 mkii compares with the WA6 SE?

I had the Icon a couple of years ago, and really liked it with one exception: there was a little bit of audible background noise.  I tried changing tubes but never managed to get it to have a totally silent / black background.  So I switched to solid state.

However, it's one of those selling decisions which I came to regret.  I recall that the Icon sounded excellent and the solid state amps I tried never really did it for me (e.g. Phonitor).  A couple of months ago I bought a 2nd hand WA6SE, and have been impressed by both the build quality and the completely silent background.  Plus it sounds good.  

Because head fi is a never ending journey I'm tempted to try the Icon again (I'd ask Icon to upgrade the caps), partly because it's a British company and hence to UK buyers probably offers better value to Woo.   And as I say I recall that it sounded great.  From memory my favourite tube pairing was the Mullard MC-1 with Psvane T series mk 2 6SN7s.  

I was actually surprised when I read this thread and saw some people had a background noise with the HP8 . I just retested mine and am hearing nothing at all.   I don't know how to explain my experience with the Wa6se.  I just never was totally happy with the sound and ended up chasing a bunch of different tubes. It just seemed a little muddy to me.  I ended up selling it and purchasing a SS amp like you.  At that time I was using a X -Sabre dac and with the HP8 I am using the Stealth DC-1,  so its not a direct comparison.  The HP8 so far is very pleasing although I probably have less than twenty hours on it.   

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #269 of 1,501
The slight noise I had may have just been a valve issue, rather than the amp itself.  

You asked about the Shuguang Treasures.  I had the CV181/6SN7 Premium Treasure Series at the same time as the Psvane ones I've mentioned above, and again they are very good valves.  This is a couple of years ago and I'm relying on my lousy memory, but I seem to recall that there are two different types of these Shuguangs which are exported out of China.  I specifically bought the 'Export Premium' versions which apparently are better quality (I really don't recall why).  

Apart from the mC1, the other 12AX7 / ECC83 I liked was the Sylvania 5751 triple mica with black plates.  I this I contacted Icon about this one, and understand that the 5751 has a gain of 70% of 12ax7 but can be used anywhere that a 12ax7 is used.  

Hope this helps.  

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #270 of 1,501
  The slight noise I had may have just been a valve issue, rather than the amp itself.  

You asked about the Shuguang Treasures.  I had the CV181/6SN7 Premium Treasure Series at the same time as the Psvane ones I've mentioned above, and again they are very good valves.  This is a couple of years ago and I'm relying on my lousy memory, but I seem to recall that there are two different types of these Shuguangs which are exported out of China.  I specifically bought the 'Export Premium' versions which apparently are better quality (I really don't recall why).  

Apart from the mC1, the other 12AX7 / ECC83 I liked was the Sylvania 5751 triple mica with black plates.  I this I contacted Icon about this one, and understand that the 5751 has a gain of 70% of 12ax7 but can be used anywhere that a 12ax7 is used.  

Hope this helps.  

I am thrilled with the fact that I am liking the Icon straight out of the box.  However , I know eventually upgradeitis will get the best of me.  I really appreciate your suggestions above. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back