Iced Earth-"The Glorious Burden"
Jan 22, 2004 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
Not sure if anyone has mentioned the new Iced Earth CD "The Glorious Burden" yet.

I've been listening to it for the last week and think it's really a great CD. I'm not a good "Review" person; but I was wondering if anyone else has it and how they like it?

Jan 24, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 6
Does this album have new singer Ripper Owens from Judas Priest, he he ?

American Revolution rock?

I suspect it's good but I already have several IE albums and am kinda burned out on them........unless this is best album ever by IE
I don't plan to get it.

How would you compare it to previous IE albums?

Jan 24, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Does this album have new singer Ripper Owens from Judas Priest, he he ?

American Revolution rock?

I suspect it's good but I already have several IE albums and am kinda burned out on them........unless this is best album ever by IE
I don't plan to get it.

How would you compare it to previous IE albums?

Yes, it does have new singer Tim Owens. They don't refer to him as "Ripper" any longer with Iced Earth.

If I were to make a comparison to other IE albums, I would say this one is quite different in some ways. You still have the IE sound and songwriting style like previous ones; but I would say this one is a bit more complex. In my opinion, it's probably their best album, or at least one of their best.

I would definitely check it out if you like Iced Earth.

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 6
I have it, and have mixed feelings about it so far, here are my impressions that I posted on another message board:

Quote:

I think this album was worth the price for the Gettysburg Triolgy alone, which is among, if not the best music IE has ever done. Aside from a few lyrics that got on my nerves, it's stunningly awesome.

That said, it's pretty strange hearing Ripper singing over Barlow's backing vocals, throughout the album. Ripper really suits some songs, like Red Baron, Atilla, and Greenface, but sounds really akward on others. I don't think he sucks or anything, in fact I think I'd prefer him over Barlow on a few songs, but there are other times I really wished Matt hadn't left.

The songs other than the trilogy are a mixed bag for me, none of them seemed really compelling, like I'd want to listen to them a lot again, and the two ballads were mildy annoying. I think Ghost of Freedom is a FAR better song than either.

I'm happy to have the album, if only for the Trilogy, which is the best IE since at least Burnt Offerings. The rest may or may not grow on me, like most of their last two albums, but I doubt I'll be listening to them a lot either way.

Next, I hope Jon writes an entire concept album in the vein of the Gettysburg Trilogy, with another great orchestration job. Topic, who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back