iCans
May 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 30
Tried my ~300 hours iCans on an iriver h120 mp3 player, ht omega claro halo soundcard and audio-gd compass, and the iCans don't really benefit from better equipment. I think Ultrasone was serious when they said Quote:

These headphones have been specially designed and developed for iPod, MP3 players and other portable sound devices.

Out of the mp3 player it's like 85%+ of what I get out of my home system. I think the iCans fake small detail, such as the resonance of instruments and bass, but since it does this it is unable to reproduce real detail it just mushes it and so the three different setups I've tried sound quite similar. With HFI-2200 and Pro 900 I could distinguish easily between the mp3 player and the compass. I only recommend using the iCans out of an mp3/cd player.

I've been constantly amazed with my iCans on my almost month-long vacation, so much so I don't really mind that it is open anymore in fact sometimes I even had it on while talking to people
tongue.gif
with low volume you can hear people almost as good as if you weren't wearing headphones. Just as soon as Ultrasone makes peace with NS&L I'll buy a couple Zino's for my sister and nephews
tongue.gif

May 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #17 of 30
Can anyone (Ultrasone???) confirm or deny that HFI-450, HFI-15G, and the iCans share the same Mylar driver?

May 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone (Ultrasone???) confirm or deny that HFI-450, HFI-15G, and the iCans share the same Mylar driver?

The HFI-15G and the HFI-450 both have the same 40mm Mylar driver. The HFI-15G is an open model, the HFI-450 is a closed model.

The iCans had a 30mm Mylar driver and were semi-open.

May 17, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HFI-15G and the HFI-450 both have the same 40mm Mylar driver. The HFI-15G is an open model, the HFI-450 is a closed model. The iCans had a 30mm Mylar driver and were semi-open.

Thanks Paul!

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #20 of 30
I'm a little confused about the "behind the head" aspect of iCans. I read it's supposed to be positioned 30 degrees from vertical. Can anyone comment on how the iCans work when you're lying down on your back with your head on a pillow?

I was thinking about grabbing a pair of these to use for daily work stuff like speech where SQ doesn't matter too much.

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 30
The iCans headband shouldn't have to be put back enough that it gets pressed against the pillow. If you're using it at work, know that it's semi-open, you can hear almost everything outside and it leaks quite a lot of sound out.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #22 of 30
Hi there. Sorry to revive an old thread, but I don't want to post a new one when this one's here. :p

I'm getting these headphones soon (I'm getting the Okta variant) as an exchange for my faulty Shure SRH240s. Will these be any good compared to the Shures?

And also, are they durable? I assumed they were after seeing a couple of reviews saying it's better than standard full-size headphones, because it uses a rubberised material instead of PVC plastic, but I just read a review from a user here who says they are very flimsy, which worries me a bit, as I'm a bit of a rough handler with headphones. My last two have been fine, durability-wise (the Shures, and the Sennheiser HD 215s), but then my previous two were Skullcandy ones, which broke fairly easily after just three months of use each.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's okay, it may break if you are bending the headband but it is unlikely you will apply such pressure except deliberately.

Ahh, that's good to know.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wasn't sure what to make of some durability claims. One reviewer claimed that they bent them 180 degrees and it didn't even make a dent. Sounds farfetched though.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

It's flexible plastic, not sure if there's a piece of metal in there or what.

There probably isn't any metal in there. I've read that it's made of some flexible rubber material. Not sure if that's true though. I'll find out out for myself when they arrive, which may be tomorrow if Royal Mail pull their fingers out and avoid striking for at least a couple of hours.

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #27 of 30
Hi guys, I'll be getting soon a couple of portables headphones for a vacation trip, the Ultrasones iCans and the iGrado. Along with them I plan to bring the Nuforce Icon Mobile (wow thats a lot of "i's"). I'll keep you up with what I think of their sound and if any of the two is better.

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #28 of 30
Out of the box my icans sounded like the buds that come with $20 cd players (bad brand of cd player too), and it took 100+ hours of medium volume music for it to even begin to sound proper. Maybe it had something to do with sitting on the store shelves for so many years
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #29 of 30
Hey guys, so vacations are over, guess what I ended up using and enjoying the most on my travels, the Etymotic ER6i. I was really sceptical when my dad gave them to me as christmas present, the idea of plugging something in my ears inspired discomfort, so not true (to my ears) after I tried them. The sound was amazing, very detailed, you can distinguish all there is on the recording, the bass was subtle but defined, soundstage was impressive for an earphone. Most of the richness it offers is on the midrange frequencies, amazing for acoustic music and vocals. I even tried them out with the Shanling PH3000 and the sound relaxed and improved even more, really a surprise for me. I have owned the iCans, iGrado, and Zino headphones, they sounded pleasant at the beginning but I got tired of all the coloration these cans have. If you are not concerned about using earplugs, and like very defined and eloquently reproduced music, these earphones might interest you if you are looking for an affordable portable headphone.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Out of the box my icans sounded like the buds that come with $20 cd players (bad brand of cd player too), and it took 100+ hours of medium volume music for it to even begin to sound proper. Maybe it had something to do with sitting on the store shelves for so many years
tongue.gif

That's very weird. They should sound vibrant and clear and "exciting"
there must have been something wrong with yours. That is just weird.
i think you should have swapped them over where you bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back