iCans vs. PX100
Jul 13, 2008 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sackynut

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, couldnt find much info in terms of opinions of the iCans here on head-fi (i found plenty eslewhere). How are they compared to the PX100s in :

Comfort
Sound Quality
Bass Impact
Price to Performance Ratio

Keep in mind, the lowest price for NEW iCans are $70 on Home.

So this is price to performance would be the iCans at $70 and the PX100's at $40-$45. Thanks!

Seems like a good fair fight?

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 9
The iCans are a curious headphone. The overall sound is very good, but their construction is a little strange.

Comfortwise, the PX100s are better because they have a padded headband. The iCans have large comfortable ear pads...velvety smooth, but they have a small, unpadded plastic headband that hit you on your head and begin to hurt after a while.

Sound quality...this depends on the signature you prefer. The Senns have more bass and are a bit smoother, but the iCans have a more aggressive sound. The highs can sometimes be a little much to handle depending on the recording, but they are more detailed than the PX100s. The bass is there and it's punchy, but it's not overpowering. You might think it's lacking if you're used to the PX100 sound. The mids are slightly recesses, but in a good way because it provides a nice soundstage.

The PX100s have more bass and have pretty good impact. The iCans have less bass and good impact...focusing more on the mid and upper bass region.

Price to performance....it's your call. I purchased my iCans for $129...and they definitely aren't worth that. When you're talking another $25 over the PX100s, that's a tough call. I think the dealbreaker will be where you plan to use the headphones. If you want something for exercise and general getting about, the PX100s are much better because they're built better and can take more abuse...plus they come with a tough carrying case that can fit in your pocket. If you want something for computer use or short quiet walks, then the iCans will probably be best. They're fragile and require some TLC. Plus, they have less isolation than the PX100s, so are only suitable for quiet environments.

Hope this helps.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 9
Hmm, thanks brook. Id be using them for just walking around (not exercise or anything), at-home laptop listening and bed-time listening.

Ive fallen asleep with my PX100's on before and they havent been damaged, but Im worried if I fall asleep with the iCans on they might get broken.

So I think for now Im just going to stick with my 100's and their 2 year warranty, and maybe get some good full sized cans for bedtime.

Thanks for the input it helped, I dont really want them anymore because of the fragile aspect.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iCans are a curious headphone. The overall sound is very good, but their construction is a little strange.

Comfortwise, the PX100s are better because they have a padded headband. The iCans have large comfortable ear pads...velvety smooth, but they have a small, unpadded plastic headband that hit you on your head and begin to hurt after a while.

Sound quality...this depends on the signature you prefer. The Senns have more bass and are a bit smoother, but the iCans have a more aggressive sound. The highs can sometimes be a little much to handle depending on the recording, but they are more detailed than the PX100s. The bass is there and it's punchy, but it's not overpowering. You might think it's lacking if you're used to the PX100 sound. The mids are slightly recesses, but in a good way because it provides a nice soundstage.

The PX100s have more bass and have pretty good impact. The iCans have less bass and good impact...focusing more on the mid and upper bass region.

Price to performance....it's your call. I purchased my iCans for $129...and they definitely aren't worth that. When you're talking another $25 over the PX100s, that's a tough call. I think the dealbreaker will be where you plan to use the headphones. If you want something for exercise and general getting about, the PX100s are much better because they're built better and can take more abuse...plus they come with a tough carrying case that can fit in your pocket. If you want something for computer use or short quiet walks, then the iCans will probably be best. They're fragile and require some TLC. Plus, they have less isolation than the PX100s, so are only suitable for quiet environments.

Hope this helps.

I think you nailed the details of the sound differences perfectly, also in regards to the comfort.

Another difference I noted was burn-in. The PX100 didn't change a lot with more hours of play time on them, but my iCans needed a lot of hours. After 350 hours of burn-in did sound more "hi-fi" than the PX100 but the iCans pretty much required an amp.

The second thing I noticed about them was sensitivity and need for power. While the PX100 can do without an amp in terms of volume or drivability, they definitely improve sound quality-wise with one (i.e. could enjoy either way). But I didn't like the iCans very much unamped in terms of volume or sound quality. When I first got the iCans none of my portable mp3 players or iPods could drive them to acceptable volumes without an amp, and I never tried that experiment again.

To the next post asking about the iGrados. I liked them a lot at first, but as mine got older the started to sound darker, and more like the PX100. I tried doing the quarter-mod on the ear pads, but that didn't help much. I would have to select the proper source or amp to get synergy with the iGrados, even though they were efficient enough to run without an amp. They were still not as comfortable as the PX100 or PMX100, with too much clamping pressure for big heads like mine. The comfort problem with the iCans was the headband digging into the top of my head.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 9
Comfort problems were the first thing I noticed when I purchased a pair of iGrados. The set/immobile headband was very frustrating to deal with because it didn't fit my cranium. Laying down was not possible as well due to the street style headband that bends around the back of the head/neck.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 9
I own them all, and it depends on source, amp, wires, song, mood, etc.
Sometimes i like one better, sometimes the other.

Id even throw some Koss KSC75's in the mix.

Generally i like the Igrados the best in most instances. They match the most systems to me, but with the right matches, any of them can sound better than the other.

The Icans are not worth $129usd though.
Maybe $50, yeah.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 9
If your looking for value + comfort + bass impact, seems like koss portapros are for you (~40$)

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 9
Yeah the portapros might be a good match. Im just looking for a good durable solution in the $60-$100 range thats high quality, solid built, but not extremely hi-fi. (oh and its going to be closed.)

The iCans seem like a bust, or at least a good idea that didnt go over well. $130 just for s-logic? No way, now I wont even pay $70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back