iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More Soundstage and More Detail
Feb 6, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #496 of 658
I really appreciate all the feedback you have given and answered my queries. Indeed I am glad I purchased the iCan. Do you have any suggestions for a dac to go along. I was thinking build my stack on iFi products like iTube & iDac 2. Your thoughts?

The iDAC2 would be an excellent choice.

I would advise you to get the iPurifier2 before you consider the iTUBE. The headphones you have listed in your sig will struggle to reveal all that these devices can do.

Also I see that you have the micro idsd. How is it in combo with iCan.

Outstanding (with the right headphones).

Do you find sweetness in sound?

It isn't harsh but it won't sugar-coat bad recordings.

Is idsd better or the idac2 and what is the difference before I make my investment.

iDSD contains a battery and can be used in a portable environment.
iDAC2 has no battery and is intended for desktop use.

iDSD has two DAC chips, the iDAC2 has one.

iDSD has iPurifier Lite technology. iDAC2 has Active Noise Cancellation.

Which is best? I have no idea. I suspect they will sound very similar.

In a year's time I plan to buy the HD 800.

Why? Have you heard a pair?

I see that you are using T1 which is almost in par with HD800 so I have asked you this question.

This is a matter of opinion. I do not like the HD800. I think it sounds weird (and I have heard it many times).

I think the T1 is the superior headphone.

I have heard many others from HifiMAN, Audeze, Oppo, Fostex, Sony, etc. Nothing I've heard so far has me wanting to change from T1.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #497 of 658
The iDAC2 would be an excellent choice.

I would advise you to get the iPurifier2 before you consider the iTUBE. The headphones you have listed in your sig will struggle to reveal all that these devices can do.
Outstanding (with the right headphones).
It isn't harsh but it won't sugar-coat bad recordings.
iDSD contains a battery and can be used in a portable environment.
iDAC2 has no battery and is intended for desktop use.

iDSD has two DAC chips, the iDAC2 has one.

iDSD has iPurifier Lite technology. iDAC2 has Active Noise Cancellation.

Which is best? I have no idea. I suspect they will sound very similar.
Why? Have you heard a pair?
This is a matter of opinion. I do not like the HD800. I think it sounds weird (and I have heard it many times).

I think the T1 is the superior headphone.

I have heard many others from HifiMAN, Audeze, Oppo, Fostex, Sony, etc. Nothing I've heard so far has me wanting to change from T1.

Wow. I am really thankful for guiding me to the right path. Actually I have not heard the HD800 but I intend to have a demo. I dont have a clue of its sound signature but my friends have the Hd700 and asked me to get a demo. Another friend of mine has the T1 and I really liked it .Its awesome. When you say weird about HD800 could you share your thoughts.
T1 is a bit sharp on treble. Thats what I felt. But it was a short demo and I will try all names you listed  gradually and then make my conclusion.
I heard the Hifiman 400i lately which too sounded great for a 500$ headphone. If I go for a higher range HP that it has to be the open back for sure or a planar. For being the best in dynamic drivers I thought of the Hd800. Fostex TH900 is again closed back.

What does ipurifer do basically and why is it necessary?
Have you tried your T1 with the flagship dacs/amps and what are your thoughts there.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #498 of 658
Right, after some 550 hours of burn-in now, I have had another comparative listen to the micro iCAN and the micro iCAN SE.

As a previous poster wrote that he heard some difference in the XBASS, I decided to take a walk through the older section of my collection - stuff from the 70's and 80's - which generally benefits from XBASS and in many cases needs full-on level 3 XBASS in order to sound any good.

The result, after some careful level matching, is that I can't hear any difference in the XBASS between the two devices. I also can't hear the 'bleed into the midrange' or lack thereof that was reported earlier by another poster.

In fact, I can't tell the micro iCAN and the micro iCAN SE apart. They sound just the same to my ears.

I would repeat my earlier finding that the SE took a long time to burn in and did not sound at all amazing until around 400 hours so if you buy one don't make the mistake of judging it too soon (as so many do). It will reward your patience in the end (and save you a packet into the bargain).

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #499 of 658
Right, after some 550 hours of burn-in now, I have had another comparative listen to the micro iCAN and the micro iCAN SE.

As a previous poster wrote that he heard some difference in the XBASS, I decided to take a walk through the older section of my collection - stuff from the 70's and 80's - which generally benefits from XBASS and in many cases needs full-on level 3 XBASS in order to sound any good.

The result, after some careful level matching, is that I can't hear any difference in the XBASS between the two devices. I also can't hear the 'bleed into the midrange' or lack thereof that was reported earlier by another poster.

In fact, I can't tell the micro iCAN and the micro iCAN SE apart. They sound just the same to my ears.

I would repeat my earlier finding that the SE took a long time to burn in and did not sound at all amazing until around 400 hours so if you buy one don't make the mistake of judging it too soon (as so many do). It will reward your patience in the end (and save you a packet into the bargain).

I already bought the iCan Micro so I donot think I will go for the SE model just because it has more volume boost of 6000mw. Also I intend to concentrate on what you said like adding itube and idsd on the long run. Could you tell me the function of ipurifier and what difference it makes. I am really interested to know.
Also many say that the Burson amp is the best combo with HD 800

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #500 of 658
Could you tell me the function of ipurifier and what difference it makes. I am really interested to know.

The iPurifier 2 is for after you get a DAC.

Lots of info here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784983/ifi-ipurifier-2-reviews-impressions-and-discussion-thread

The first three posts there tell you most of what there is to know.

Also: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipurifier2/

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #501 of 658
The iPurifier 2 is for after you get a DAC.

Lots of info here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784983/ifi-ipurifier-2-reviews-impressions-and-discussion-thread

The first three posts there tell you most of what there is to know.

Also: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipurifier2/

Thanks and really appreciate all your inputs.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #502 of 658
Has any one tried the ican Micro with the HD 800. Just want to know how is it compatible.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #504 of 658
  Yes it does, and am doing it now with Fleetwood Mac's Rumours..................most excellent. 

Can you give me more inputs on sound , clarity, what settings on I can you prefer etc. I intend to buy the HD 800 soon and already have the iCan for the time being which I shall upgraded to Burson at a later stage. So your thoughts impression any info on HD9800 with iCan will be most appreciable . Thanks

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #505 of 658
Actually I have the iCAN SE so maybe its a little bit different if you have the previous iCAN? I use it with one notch of Xbass and flat on 3D. I run it from an iDSD/iUSB/laptop system. I have written an outline of it all here which may be of help?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-ican-headphone-amplifier/reviews/14809

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #506 of 658
  Actually I have the iCAN SE so maybe its a little bit different if you have the previous iCAN? I use it with one notch of Xbass and flat on 3D. I run it from an iDSD/iUSB/laptop system. I have written an outline of it all here which may be of help?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-ican-headphone-amplifier/reviews/14809

Thanks that was a very frank review you posted which is going to help me decide. Is there a huge price difference between iCan micro & the iCan Micro SE. 

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #507 of 658
Wow glad to see this thread come back to life.  I have been using my iCAN to power my HE-560 at the office (acquired an iTUBE just lately).  However I was transferred to another project and can't use my HE-560.  Even if I am just using my A83, I still use the iCAN, however I can only go up to 9 oclock..looking for Closed back HPs now, my HE-560 will go back to our house and probably use them in the office if I am on night shift hehe.

I have an iPURIFIER 2 too (excellent piece of kit if you have a PC as source), but rarely used it since my source is always the X5

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #508 of 658
  Wow glad to see this thread come back to life.  I have been using my iCAN to power my HE-560 at the office (acquired an iTUBE just lately).  However I was transferred to another project and can't use my HE-560.  Even if I am just using my A83, I still use the iCAN, however I can only go up to 9 oclock..looking for Closed back HPs now, my HE-560 will go back to our house and probably use them in the office if I am on night shift hehe.

I have an iPURIFIER 2 too (excellent piece of kit if you have a PC as source), but rarely used it since my source is always the X5

Well I am planning to buy the Hd-800 and want to use it with the iCan so far. On the long run I intend to purchase the Burson amp for the same. So you do not use your ipurifier 2  mostly.

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #509 of 658
Originally Posted by ****zu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well I am planning to buy the Hd-800 and want to use it with the iCan so far. On the long run I intend to purchase the Burson amp for the same. So you do not use your ipurifier 2  mostly.

I tried the HD-800 on the iCAN, my previous office mate used his HD-800 on the office.  It's a great hp for sure, but it was not my cup of tea.  I am contemplating now on what is the sound if I had the iTUBE that time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back