iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More Soundstage and More Detail
Jan 24, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #466 of 658
The micro iCAN is a headphone amp. It is not a DAC. You cannot use TOSLINK.

Thanks  for your information. I shall use the RCA cables only. I am sure this amp is going to perform wonderfully.

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #467 of 658
I have both an iCAN Micro and iCAN Micro SE on hand and will do a comparative review when I have the time. The SE arrived last night, and I've had the iCAN Micro for a few months.

The short version is that both are very good for the money.

The iCAN Micro SE is slightly better in virtually every way than the iCAN Micro. Slightly smoother, slightly more detail, slightly better separation. The bass boost is slightly subtler and less intrusive, and the 3D is moderately subtler and more tastefully done.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #468 of 658
  http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/08/i-fi-itube-preamplifier-test-review.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+monoandstereo%2FHOym+%28MONO+AND+STEREO+Ultra+High-End+Audio+Magazine%29

I just bought the ifi iCan  and am very impressed with the sound quality. I intend to build up my stack around iFi products and my next target is the iTube. After reading the link you posted it has given me more insight to the itube and its buffering function. This is very interesting reading. Thanks.

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #470 of 658
After my loan spell with an iCAN SE and subsequent feeling of loss and devastation upon returning it my order is now placed and I await its arrival with excitement........  

They do take their sweet time to burn in though don't they?

At least they do when you have a well used micro iCAN on hand to compare to. Even after 200 hours, the SE was not even close to the iCAN. The SE sounded unengaging and uninvolving. My attention was drifting onto other things mid-track while the original iCAN grips me from the first note to the last and conveys the full emotion, texture and tone of the music. Now at 300 hours the SE is starting to catch up but it's not quite there yet. I'll give it a few more days and see where it gets to. I think it will get there.

I'm surprised to find it taking this long. I've always thought that 200 hours is enough. Maybe it's because neither of my 'phones (T1 and M50) are hard to drive so the SE isn't having to work hard enough. Those with less efficient 'phones may find it takes less time.

With regards to the 3D and XBASS settings, so far I can hear no differences. It's tricky though when one is volume matching by ear.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #471 of 658
I never heard the original iCAN so I can't really comment. With Class A you'd expect a shorter rather than longer burn in. The one I had was a beta test sample so probably well run in already. I will know more next week when my own order arrives. I am also going to get some decent quality short length RCA/phono cables made up as the ones which come free with the ifi kit don't seem to be at the same level as the build on their devices, which I guess is fair enough or they'd have to charge more.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #472 of 658
They do take their sweet time to burn in though don't they?

At least they do when you have a well used micro iCAN on hand to compare to. Even after 200 hours, the SE was not even close to the iCAN. The SE sounded unengaging and uninvolving. My attention was drifting onto other things mid-track while the original iCAN grips me from the first note to the last and conveys the full emotion, texture and tone of the music. Now at 300 hours the SE is starting to catch up but it's not quite there yet. I'll give it a few more days and see where it gets to. I think it will get there.

I'm surprised to find it taking this long. I've always thought that 200 hours is enough. Maybe it's because neither of my 'phones (T1 and M50) are hard to drive so the SE isn't having to work hard enough. Those with less efficient 'phones may find it takes less time.

With regards to the 3D and XBASS settings, so far I can hear no differences. It's tricky though when one is volume matching by ear.

So I need to burn them too for 200+ hours. Wow. I was also  planning on the Hd-800. I wonder how the equation with the iCan would be like. When people talk about SE version is the iCan with gain switches below. So I guess I have the new SE version.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #473 of 658
When people talk about SE version is the iCan with gain switches below. So I guess I have the new SE version.

No, it isn't.

The original iCAN was updated with the addition of the gain switches.

The iCAN SE has a "Special Edition" icon on the front panel. I just noticed the switch labelling is the other way up too.

:cool:

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #474 of 658
No, it isn't.

The iCAN SE has a "Special Edition" icon on the front panel. I just noticed the switch labelling is the other way up too.

cool.gif

Sorry, but why do you have two icans connected?

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #475 of 658
No, it isn't.

:cool:

Sorry, but why do you have two icans connected?

Click the top picture to open it full size and take a closer look :wink:

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #478 of 658
Guess I have the upgraded version iCan  with Gain switches then. How is it different from the SE version. Also want to know does the itube if added make a difference to the sound signature.
Is iDSD better than iDac 2.
What is the best settings that normally users use for the iCan Micro.

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #479 of 658
Click the top picture to open it full size and take a closer look :wink:

I mean two amps connected is an overkill, no?

The top amp is my micro iCAN.

The bottom amp is the all new micro iCAN SE which I have on trial.

Both amps are connected so that I can flip between them to compare them.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #480 of 658
Small question to iFi Audio.

I'm using the micro iCAN v2 feed by a fixed 2 Vrms DAC input and I have the gain jumper at 0 dB, but still it's too powerful and loud with my Sennheiser HD 800 paired. My volume setting on the micro iCAN is at 10 o'clock, the lowest I can use, because with 9 o'clock or less I have the known channel imbalance. Is there any way to set the micro iCAN like to minus 5 dB gain or something?

I have also the micro iDSD for portable usage and "normal mode" with the HD 800 together it's no problem and not too loud at 10 o'clock volume setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back