IC: Upcoming Toronto Meet
Mar 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #197 of 247
Quote:
Hey, hey, hey - tell me why one's understanding wife can't be hot, hot, hot!
(Maybe that's why I've been married for 40 years to the same understanding and still hot woman) 
biggrin.gif

Now where is the LIKE button on here?! Bryan, the sweetest, nicest audio friend turns out to be a romantic at heart! 
tongue.gif

I've been away from the forum for a few weeks, just a lot of personal things to take care of, with unfortunately too little time involved in this passion for head-fi. My sincerest apologies for neglecting this part of life.

Having read through the last few pages, while an entertaining discussion, I'm still not seeing a clear direction.

The attendance list in GDocs shows 32, that's quite a large meet! Usually the actual meet hosts at most 75% of the signed people at any time, with people coming and going. A place for 25 would suffice as there will certainly be people without desktop rigs, so from what is listed, 

AlanHell - You posted a huge system, any thoughts on hosting spaces?
Merkil - Fantastic job on building interest and getting people involved, but you now have to start setting concrete points in place. Where is this happening? On which date? What are the details of the event and requirements to attend?

Let's get this thought moving forward. We, in the Toronto area head-fi community have expressed our interest in getting together and having a good time with music, headphones and great conversation. The challenges faced so far have concentrated on a meeting place to accommodate such a large crowd at day-evening hours with no restrictions on security, noise and drinks. This all points to condo party rooms, hotel conference rooms and personal houses. As we've been looking through these with limited results, I'd like to ask for input from all members that are able to provide suggestions for reasonable cost spots to host this meet. Costs of the place are easily covered by Pay-What-You-Can donations (my personal favorite alternative to entrance fees) or raffles for equipment (DIY experts get to show off their work and companies can donate their products as targeted marketing).

Can't wait to see this materialize and hope to see you all there!

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #199 of 247
Quote:
I was wondering if i can bring a friend along with me, he has been a bose fan boy for a long time and i just want to show him some alternatives.

You are a very bad friend~~~~~~~~~~
This is going to cost 50% of his salary for the rest of his life~~~~~~~

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #200 of 247
Quote:

Now where is the LIKE button on here?! Bryan, the sweetest, nicest audio friend turns out to be a romantic at heart! 
tongue.gif

I've been away from the forum for a few weeks, just a lot of personal things to take care of, with unfortunately too little time involved in this passion for head-fi. My sincerest apologies for neglecting this part of life.

Having read through the last few pages, while an entertaining discussion, I'm still not seeing a clear direction.

The attendance list in GDocs shows 32, that's quite a large meet! Usually the actual meet hosts at most 75% of the signed people at any time, with people coming and going. A place for 25 would suffice as there will certainly be people without desktop rigs, so from what is listed, 

AlanHell - You posted a huge system, any thoughts on hosting spaces?
Merkil - Fantastic job on building interest and getting people involved, but you now have to start setting concrete points in place. Where is this happening? On which date? What are the details of the event and requirements to attend?

Let's get this thought moving forward. We, in the Toronto area head-fi community have expressed our interest in getting together and having a good time with music, headphones and great conversation. The challenges faced so far have concentrated on a meeting place to accommodate such a large crowd at day-evening hours with no restrictions on security, noise and drinks. This all points to condo party rooms, hotel conference rooms and personal houses. As we've been looking through these with limited results, I'd like to ask for input from all members that are able to provide suggestions for reasonable cost spots to host this meet. Costs of the place are easily covered by Pay-What-You-Can donations (my personal favorite alternative to entrance fees) or raffles for equipment (DIY experts get to show off their work and companies can donate their products as targeted marketing).

Can't wait to see this materialize and hope to see you all there!

Hey fallen,

As I stated previously in this thread I had not luck finding a suitable venue that will house all these guest and asked for input. Due to stuff outside of head fi in my life at the moment I can no longer be in charge of the whole event. To be honest, it was never my intentions for it to be "my event" in the first place, all I wanted to do was help out and I think I have by gathering people and a list of equipment available.

Actually, here is an updated copy of the spread sheet. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhipEdDGaHW4dHg5dC0tY09fbk5qdFhvREhBWTZQLWc&usp=sharing

Joseph (jrprana) has been kind of enough to suggest his cafe so I vote for that as the venue (although you disaprove) but I cannot be in charge of organizing it any further. If he or some buddy else would like to be in charge please be my guest. I am willing to give anyone any info I have, all you have to do is PM me but the spreadsheet contains all the list of possible attendees so it shouldn't be much harder then sending out a few PMs after a location is set. Up until this point I was thinking of a date and came up with

April 21/13 say 11am-6pm or 1pm-8pm. Its a Sunday so Headphone shop can attend and its after Joseph gets back from his trip to use his cafe but IF the new lead hand wants to have it somewhere else, feel free to change the plans.

Also here is a pic of the layout of the cafe that I have

All the measurements are in meters and the outlets are along the 13.0 meter wall. This will help whoever takes over in layout IF they choose to go ahead with the cafe. Fallen is probably right in that a large banquet hall is probably better because the number of attendees but it will be expensive and I do not have the funds for that at the moment.

Anyway, I don't mean to disappoint everyone but sometimes things in life happen out of our control that cause set backs, One way to look at it is we are a lot closer to having the event planned then we were a few months ago so not all was lost. If everyone wants to have it at the cafe on April 21 then its set and all that is needed is sending out private messages to the possible attendees to confirm attendance and figuring out the best layout but thats not for me to figure out.

Jeff

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #201 of 247
You are a very bad friend~~~~~~~~~~
This is going to cost 50% of his salary for the rest of his life~~~~~~~

Hehe, fortunately money isn't a problem for him

April 20/13 say 11am-6pm or 1pm-8pm. Its a Sunday so Headphone shop can attend and its after Joseph gets back from his trip to use his cafe but IF the new lead hand wants to have it somewhere else, feel free to change the plans.

April 20th is a Saturday, just to point out.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #202 of 247
April 20th - damn, that's right during my exam period.
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #203 of 247
Hehe, fortunately money isn't a problem for him

April 20th is a Saturday, just to point out.

Fixed to the April 21 as that's why I meant. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, April 21 is just a date I had in mind. However whoever would like to take over can select a date of their choice.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #206 of 247
I also have exams, my last one is on the 25th of April.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #207 of 247
I really hate being the devil's advocate and in no way do I wish to put a damper on things, especially after the considerable time and effort that Merkll has put into
organizing the meet (He should definitely be commended!).
But.... it looks like University Exams are making April 21 unmanageable for some (geez - it has been exactly 40 years since I wrote my last U of W BSc exams).
Joseph has been so kind and accommodating to offer his fine restaurant, however, it would be best suited to a much smaller and intimate crowd.
And then there's coordinating those in the trade, the many tables, receptacles and outlets required, raffles and prizes etc, etc - a big task, but a doable task.
As both Merkll and FallenAngel have pointed out, others need to step up to the plate and a date and location need to be finalized ASAP so that we can go forward.
Truly looking forward to getting together and having a good time with music, headphones and great conversation (hopefully over some good Scotch)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #209 of 247
[size=10pt]All:[/size]

[size=10pt]Looking at a bunch of other meeting threads, it looks like many meets are taking place in hotel conference rooms. I have therefore started calling up a number of hotels in Toronto asking for quotations. As long as I am able to leave work at a decent time, I will also start calling up a number of Toronto Public Library locations in an attempt to find a cheaper solution.  At this point in time I cannot think of any reason why we can't find a suitable venue for this event.[/size]

[size=10pt]I am using May 5th in getting quotations from the hotels, but what I need is more information on what works out best for everyone. Could everyone please send me a PM with the following information?[/size]

[size=10pt]1. What is the best date for this event between April 27-28, and May 4-5?[/size]
[size=10pt]2. How much maximum would you be willing to pay to attend this meet?[/size]
[size=10pt]3. What time period in the day sounds the most reasonable for this meet?[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks for your input.[/size]

[size=10pt]-P.S.  I might need a little guidance since I currently live in Guelph and my Toronto geography is a little sketchy.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back