IC: UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) Mini-Meet
Oct 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16
What Up College Head-Fiers?

So, I've been wanting to know where the audiophiles in the UCLA community are hiding. I've only met ONE other audiophile myself, but I'd like to play host to a little mini meet. I am an RA in Delta Terrace, so I have access to our lounge as well as my room, which is small, but makes for a nice listening are, since it's a single. 

I just wanted to see how interested people were. I mean, I could easily swipe like 8-10 and we could hit the dining halls for some audio talk. I think it'd be exciting!

All the Best,

Kojaku

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 16
Glad to see fellow bruins on here. Would be great to meet others with same interest.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Oct 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 16
Yeah I've only ever met 1 Bruin who shares the same passion for headphone audio xD

Kojaku

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 16
Hey, I am on campus, in Hedrick Summit. I would definitely be up for a meet up. I am currently searching for my next set of Ear/Head-Phones and cannot find a good place to try them out now that DXC is gone. Do you have any advice? Unfortunately, I am not what most would call an audiophile. I simply like music. Hope you guys don't mind. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
Hey, I am on campus, in Hedrick Summit. I would definitely be up for a meet up. I am currently searching for my next set of Ear/Head-Phones and cannot find a good place to try them out now that DXC is gone. Do you have any advice? Unfortunately, I am not what most would call an audiophile. I simply like music. Hope you guys don't mind. 

No Prob. What are you looking for? In-ears? Full-size? Earpad?

Kojaku

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 16
Well I don't have many in-ears, only my customs now...I tend to use full-size cans.

Kojaku

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 16
I can't afford a custom fit. =(
You have to tell me about some good shops. What are cans?

Shorthand for headphones. And actually, you CAN afford customs in your price range. Look at 1964 Ears' entry-level stuff. Equally you can find a paif of TF10s and then have them remolded into customs for a total of $300 shipping included.

Kojaku

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
I can't afford a custom fit. =(
You have to tell me about some good shops. What are cans?

I wouldn't try to jump into a custom earphone right away. It's an expensive leap if you're just starting off. Unfortunately most of the good shops in the area closed, so there aren't a lot of good places to audition headphones. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Between Triple Balanced Armature or Dynamic Armature, which one would you prefer? 

It's a personal choice. I'm personally a balanced armature kind of guy, but that's simply because I can get better individual coverage of subsections of frequency response. Dynamic drivers are definitely more "natural" sounding, but they often suffer from a lack of extension and distortion caused by sonic reflections caused by the dynamic driver's cone. It's a matter of what you're more interested in, pure resolution, or non-fatiguing sound. 

Kojaku

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 16
Balanced Armatures can have so many drivers, whereas dynamic armature only has one. How would a shure se 535 compare to the Sennheiser ie 80? I currently have a pair of old Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. Which one should I consider, or should I stick with my turbine? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back