IC: Sony MDR-R10, damaged.
Apr 1, 2005 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
One of my hamsters escaped the other day. I woke up in the morning to find my R10's like this.

8266Edwood_R10_Damaged_01.jpg

I swear, if I catch that little f#$%er, I'm going to skin him alive!
mad.gif

So, because I'm so an@l and vain about my headphones, I'm wondering if I could sell these so I don't have to look at them like this anymore.

They look like crap now, but they still work perfectly fine. Despite the fact that he chewed through the silk covering of the headphone cord. It could be fixed easily with electric tape.
The leather carrying case will included as well, but I left storage and got all nasty with mildew and lots of other kinds of mold. Could be toxic mold. I'm hoping that little person finds the leather case and dies from toxic mold poisoning. If not, the leather case could be cleaned up a bit, but would probably require professional mold abatement and stanitation treatment.

Here's a few close up pics of the damage.

8266Edwood_R10_Damaged_02.jpg

8266Edwood_R10_Damaged_03.jpg

*April Fools! It's going to be much much more difficult to fool anyone next year.
wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Just a thought ed, why not contact Larry @ headphile? I'm sure he could fix all that up for you.

Could be a possibility.
But, you can't see it in the images, but I think my hamster slept inside the ear cup in the leather earpads. Smells like he took a pee in there.

Not sure how to clean that out. I think the smell will go away after awhile. It sounds perfectly fine despite the pee.

-Ed

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 61
Head-Fi'ers --

Is there no one else here that questions this?
Hmmm... What day is today? April Fools?
biggrin.gif

Nice try, Edwood -- I remember your prank from last year.
The K10's and the R1000's were pretty nifty -- not this time!

YOU HAVE BEEN SNUFFED OUT!

APRIL FOOLS!

BANGPOD

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 61
I have been asked by a coupe of european head-fiers.

Yes, I will consider selling outside the US. I know a couple people complained about it in the member's lounge.

But, I'm afraid I'll have to declare the entire value to customs, I don't want to get in trouble with EU customs.

-Ed

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Just a thought ed, why not contact Larry @ headphile? I'm sure he could fix all that up for you.

My thoughts, exactly. Larry should be able to do something with them, even if it means filling them in and refinishing both sides with a different finish.

I feel for you, Ed. It really hurts. After the hurricane here in Cayman but before I returned to the Island, there was a major rat problem, and one of them got into my house and nibbled on my R10 cord (which looks a lot like yours, BTW). I've yet to fix it because I'm told that the earpads would have to be replaced in order to do the recable job, and the cable itself is fine, it was just the outer casing that got nibbled. That, and the rubber tip that covers the headphone plug. It made me sick for a while, but I got over it.

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
Head-Fi'ers --

Is there no one else here that questions this?
Hmmm... What day is today? April Fools?
biggrin.gif

Nice try, Edwood -- I remember your prank from last year.
The K10's and the R1000's were pretty nifty -- not this time!

YOU HAVE BEEN SNUFFED OUT!

APRIL FOOLS!

BANGPOD

Man, he got me!!! I could go back and edit my post, but I'll let it stand so that Ed can laugh his a** off!!! The bit about all of the mildew in the case seemed quite odd, and then the hamster pee in the cups really topped it off!!!

You're too much, Ed.
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 61
Ed ... if you're serious, my apologies in advance, but I smell a rat, er hamster, here.

Methinks you are toying with us here, given the calendar.

If you are serious, though, and I can see why you'd want to get rid of those R10's, given the deplorable condition, and all, I'll spring for a $100 for them. I know, I know, it's way generous for cans that have such damage, but what can I say - I'm a softie.

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Ed ... if you're serious, my apologies in advance, but I smell a rat, er hamster, here.

Methinks you are toying with us here, given the calendar.

If you are serious, though, and I can see why you'd want to get rid of those R10's, given the deplorable condition, and all, I'll spring for a $100 for them. I know, I know, it's way generous for cans that have such damage, but what can I say - I'm a softie.

If so, I would like to spent $150 on this ugly and terrible smelled headphone
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

One thing to clear!!! It's 2nd April now in Finland, so no joking to Finnish people
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 61
Hmm... Well, what I really don't understand is how a hamster would be able to damage the headphone's cup in that way. If it's photoshopped, I'd say that the image is incredibly realistic, but the bite pattern just seems weird to me (I'm not a hamster expert, though
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Apr 1, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 61
send it to larry at headphile.com ... why dontcha.

Apr 1, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 61
The sleeping in the ear cup and then taking a piss in it and all the talk about toxic mold leads me to think aaaaappriillllllll ... The closeup shot of the cable is the dead giveaway of photochopping to me because of all the blur on the strands (just didn't spend enough time on the cable in Photoshop compared with the ear piece) and I'd think the critter would have chewed that in more than one place :p The ear piece looks darn convincing to the un-educated eye but I call bluff! Great fun though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back