IC: Los Angeles Regional Meet - July 20, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #35 of 75
I've never been to a public library alone in the US. The last time I recall being in a public library was when we were forced to use outside resources for our California mission projects in 4th grade.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #36 of 75
Well... it depends on age...

If you are talking about 10-year-olds, no, it will be a terrible idea with all those cables running on the ground and hanging off the tables. They are like traps, and if someone trips on them, well that would be very bad for the gear and for the person who trips.

If you are talking about 16-year-olds who can behave themselves, I don't think anyone would object to their presence.

If it were to take place in library, I'm pretty sure it will be in a closed area where some small talks are allowed, instead of in the public area.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:
Well... it depends on age...

If you are talking about 10-year-olds, no, it will be a terrible idea with all those cables running on the ground and hanging off the tables. They are like traps, and if someone trips on them, well that would be very bad for the gear and for the person who trips.

If you are talking about 16-year-olds who can behave themselves, I don't think anyone would object to their presence.

If it were to take place in library, I'm pretty sure it will be in a closed area where some small talks are allowed, instead of in the public area.

+1

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #41 of 75
Quote:
The LA meet last summer was lovely because it was quiet. (relatively so, compared to most headphone meets I've been to). I think this was in part because we had a large carpeted hotel room where we could really spread out (and there were several smaller rooms, also). I would like to see that repeated. I don't know if this means the hotel is better than the library for quiet conditions. I guess it depends on the size of the room, how many are attending, and whether it is carpeted.

Mike

The hotel scenario is ideal from many perspectives and that is the likely option assuming we generate enough interest. This would mean a likely cover charge of $15, similar to last year.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #42 of 75
Acutally, I'm in UC too. My finals are in June, and I believe all quarter based UCs have their finals in June. So unless you are in UCB or UCM or UC Law, any date in July should work fine.

$15 fee is fine.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 75
Quote:
Great point and thanks for sharing. Would July 20 or 27 work better?

Yeah the schedule is for UCSD
[td]
Final Exams​
[/td] [td]
Monday – Friday, June 10–14​
[/td]​
[td]
Spring Quarter ends​
[/td] [td]
Friday, June 14​
[/td]​
[td]