iBud - all that bad, after all?
Nov 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

poikkeus

100+ Head-Fier
I recall - as do many who read this forum - the sound quality of the original earbuds for first three or four generations of iPods; pretty shabby. The sound was so bad that, after purchasing an iPod, I'd immediately replace the stock earbuds with any decent replacement. 

At around the time when Apple came out with the iPod Touch, with its integrated mic, things seemed to change - at least for me. Comfort was (and remains) problematic, like and felt like pebbles being shoved into your ears. But the sound as a notable improvement over earlier designs. Not much bass, but fair definition, and easily replaced if damaged. 

Now, I realize that for many, the term "ibud" is supposed to suggest a weak-sounding, cheap ear bud - a piece of gear to be regarded with the same disdain as other products that are ubiquitous, and possibly overpriced. Also called the MB770G, I looked at short reactions to this device, and was surprised that most were quite positive. At the very least, some users feel they're garbage, while others find they're surprisingly good.

What's your reaction to the MB770G? Are there other earbuds/mics that compete? 

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 15
The iBuds get railed on because they're free and cheap, but they aren't that bad. I would pick them over several "high-end" products I've heard because they're fairly balanced.

Not the best out there, but I'd pick them over a number of bass-heavy products.

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 15
The iBuds get railed on because they're free and cheap, but they aren't that bad. I would pick them over several "high-end" products I've heard because they're fairly balanced.
Not the best out there, but I'd pick them over a number of bass-heavy products.

agreed, nice to see someone with an honest and mature reply

the Apple stock buds have a good FR, but like all earbuds they pale in comparison to IEMs

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 15
The sound quality is hardly bad. Unfortunately, I can't get a good fit with them - it always falls out of my left ear and it hurts my right ear real quick.

This is in stark contrast to my HD555s - I always wear them, no matter what.

Its disappointing. For certain genres, iBuds are really quite great.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 15
The stock earbuds that come with the Clip+ suck. No bass, unpleasant highs. Vocals are so-so.
When I press them against my ear to get a better seal, the bass improves but everything else sounds artificial. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 15
I dunno. For me, the main issue is comfort. It's common for your ears to feel after using them for a time; felt liners help a little bit, but the discomfort doesn't leave. (To be honest, my experience with ear buds have been hit and miss, regardless of brand.)

I've had a chance to compare them to Apple's IEM (or as they call them, "In Ear Speaker"). There's little difference between the Apple ear buds and in-ear speaker - except in the bass. The sound has a richer bass, and an improved seal, which makes for greater comfort. 

A hint: you can get fully branded Apple ear buds for under $10, postpaid, if you search the discount sites. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 15
I just got a new ipod yesterday, and as expected, it came with the white earbuds. Since I didn't have my cans with me, I thought what the hell and just used them. Immediately after turning on music, I winced at the pain of hearing this alien form of music; it was tinny, felt lifeless and sound leaked like I was wearing grado's. They didn't hurt my ears, as most people have said, but the sound on these things makes me never want to try any included earbuds ever again.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Spending a lot of time right now listening to them i will say right now i think their better sounding then my shure se215.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 15
I'd say above average.  Comfort isn't a problem for me, and they're better than most other earbuds out there, no matter the price, save a select few.  They're pretty good for what they are.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 15
I tried some iBuds and thought it was the worst noise I've ever heard. Those were pretty old though. It seems like Apple did make some improvements on the newer ones.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 15
Ive had many pairs of ibuds (not that i had many because i liked them). Personally i think they are some of the worst buds ive ever heard and i have heard quite a few crappy earphones. My newest ones came with my iphone 4 and compaired to my blox m2c they sound like they deserve to be thrown in the trash. (i use them when im working stucco though because i dont care if acrylic gets on them).

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 15
tried that I still hate those things :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back