iBook/Powerbook users
Oct 10, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by saxphile
Interesting, I'm planning to do the exact opposite. I'm going to get myself a SACD player and a proper amp because I'm starting to find my current setup (iBook + TBH) lacking in certain respects.

Well the TwinDac is probably on another level than the bithead. Filterless, passive conversion (resistor and transformers), 4 SLA batteries and a very trick charging system. The transformers alone probably cost more than the Bithead. I was using an Onkyo outboard usb d/a for a while and it was only ok...not the equal of the Sony for sure. Don't blame the computer...it works great as a trnsport, but you need a good dac.

What amp did you use with your SCD777ES?
I'm not a headphone listner at home (please don't throw me out). Amps in my system are the Final Labs Music-6 for the top end and a NEW DCA-33 for the bottom end.

BTW, bluetooth remote? But how far away can you get when you're using headphones?

I'm not sure yet, but will find out. Could be a great solution for using Airport Express elsewhere in the house.

Oct 10, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #32 of 43
Since I originally started this thread, I have in fact hooked up a Piccolo DAC and an SR-71 to use with my iBook and Ety 4S's. Amazing sound quality!! Stunning in fact. Mahler and Pink Floyd have never sounded better.
etysmile.gif

dshea

Oct 10, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
We read so much about the Emu 1212 and Chaintech, I feel kind of left out. Maybe we could share some of the equipment and upgrade options that we have experienced with our Macs. Is their a preferred USB line out method? What amps are you using? Any external DAC users?

As you can tell from my sig, I'm currently using a powerbook with a Xitel Pro Hifi Link to output a coax digital signal to my Nixon Tubedac+. I have not yet heard a better sounding, engaging headphone rig than what I'm currently using.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

What are you comparing the UA-1X against? The built-in headphone jacks or the TBH? If it's the TBH I wouldn't be surprised at all since it's one little potent amp and K340 is quite demanding in terms of power.

Actually I was evaluating alternatives for my Powermac. So the comparison was various sound cards going into a NAD C372 integrated amp, and S/PDIF into a Denon 1604 receiver. My preferences into Vienna Acoustics Haydn speakers (with a Rel Q150E sub supplementing) are (best first)

Edirol UA-1X
S/PDIF into receiver (from Revolution 7.1)
Revolution 7.1 analog
Audiophile PCI 2496 analog

I didn't listen to the TBH carefully here, although I have in the past. It typically sounds similar to the Edirol (it's the same Codec chip), but the TBH is better for headphones and maybe slightly worse as line input into an integrated amp.

Quote:

Also, how do you rate TBH against the built-in jacks? I found the difference to be so signifcant on iBook that I can't listen through the built-in jack anymore. On good cans like HD650 or K271S the built-in jack sounds flat and punchless, not to mention the static noise. On my PX200, however, the difference is less noticable.

I just checked my iBook with HD580s. I didn't compare the headphone outputs of the receiver or integrated amp, as that wouldn't be a normal way to use an iBook. My preference is (best first)

TBH
Edirol UA-1X
builtin port

I think the builtin iBook port is OK, but I agree that it's not as good as the external units. I wouldn't quite say I'm unwilling to use it after hearing the TBH. With HD580's all alternatives have enough oomph. With the K340's, the TBH, UA-1X and builtin port are all marginal: the volume is listenable but not as high as I'd like. The TBH will go higher, but only if you don't mind the red clipping light.

I did check both headphones in the NAD headphone output. It's fine. I haven't done a careful comparison with it and the other ways of driving the headphones.

It turns out to be important to use a powered USB hub with the UA-1X. Otherwise I get noise. The volume depends upon the hub and how it's connected, varying from very low to fairly noticable. However with a self-powered hub the noise is so far down as not to be an issue.

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #35 of 43
Hey Guys,

I just recently bought a G4 PB 17". I love it!

But anyway, I'm looking to use it as one of my portable solutions. I have a JMT portable PIMETA amp, so I'm primarily looking at a DAC (and transit?). I'm a little confused on this point, as I don't completely understand the need for a "transit" like the M-Audio Transit between the laptop and a DAC, if you can just buy a USB to optical cord.

I've read this thread and several others, but it seems like most people are trying the headphone/line out on the DACs themselves instead of running them to a seperate amp, like the JMT.

Can the headphone out of the PB be "set" to send a line-out level signal?

Thanks guys,

-Chad

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #36 of 43
chad- no

sorry mate

the idea is to keep the stream bit perfect, either with an external sound card (sonic, transit etc) or like myself, wireless airport express.

then you can send it to a dac, clean it up and then on thru to the amp.

voila!

portable wise, i'd go with a sonica or transit - portable dac then pimeta, or if no dac, just straight to the pimeta

Oct 27, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #37 of 43
I'd suggest that you try to use the PIMETA with your PB for a while. Upgrade if you're really dissatisfied with the sound - working your way up brings much more satisfation. Give yourself more time to do some research before you sink money into products that you might not like.

If you connect the PIMETA to the headphone output, set the volume in iTunes and system to highest and use the PIMETA for volume control. There's no way to emulate a line-out with software settings.

Nov 7, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #39 of 43
trying to decide on dac in system

ibook g3 > airport express > dac ? > sonic impact t-amp (to start) > axiom m3ti speakers

no headphone rig at first. will add a portable headphone amp such as a headsave go-vibe for headphone connectiona and use with my portable rig later.

budget for dac is around $500. i could spring for the benchmark, but my pocket-book would be hurting

i've been looking at scott nixon dacs especially

anyone have any insight?

i mainly listen to classic rock, classical, jazz and electronica in that order

Nov 7, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #40 of 43
uzziah,

You might need to post the DAC question in a new thread. This is a pretty old thread, but people don't respond to questions with thread-hijacking potential very actively.

BTW, when Michael mentioned the PC card slot he had the Indigo in mind. Unless you can somehow rewire the airport antenna to connect with headphones I don't think the airport slot is gonna help much (who has an empty airport slot, anyway?)

Dec 7, 2004 at 10:56 AM Post #41 of 43
I'm using my G3 iBook dual USB w/ an external Onkyo USB "Digital Audio Processor" MSE-U33HB. This is bus or externally powered, and I'm sending the signal from the Onkyo to my Denon receiver. From there it's going either to my Adcom power amp --> KEF speakers. OR, I just plug my Grado 125's into my Denon receiver.

It's a good solution for now, but this Onkyo is discontinued and I'm wondering if it's time to replace it. It works so well though and I got it for a very cheap...

Dec 7, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #42 of 43
ssuh,

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet. There are a number of mac users here, although not a lot of us. If you are looking for a sound card or upgrades, I have recently written a review of the Waveterminal Soundcard, and awhile ago I wrote impressions on the AOS Piccolo DAC. Dig around, there is a lot of good stuff here.

dshea

Dec 7, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #43 of 43
Thanks, Dshea. You weren't kidding about all the info. I just bought my 'phones last week and now I'm obsessed with building myself a proper (better) rig.

I think my next step should be to either buy a dedicated headphone amp, or even better, buy an external sound card w/ a good enough headphone out (and then buy an amp later on).

I've tackled a bunch of threads and so far, I've read that the headphone outs sound pretty good on the M-Audiophile Firewire as well as the Waveterminal U-24. I'd like to use my Grado's and future Senn 650's w/ these. Any thoughts/advice for someone most likely in over his head? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back