iBasso T5, New Portable Amp
Oct 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

EraserXIV

Headphoneus Supremus
Over the past year I've had some correspondence with iBasso and they've sent me a bit of information regarding their new T5 amp. It seems as if they are nearing release so I felt it would be nice to share the information they have told me so far.

This is the followup to their largely successful and well received T3/T3D portable amp. I've been waiting a long time for this amp and it seems like it may turn out to be quite an interesting piece of equipment.

I contacted iBasso about a year ago to see if they were planning a successor to the T3/T3D. They told me that they did have plans for the T5, but nothing concrete had been decided. After a few months of silence, I contacted them this Spring to see if any progress had been made (and to see if I could squeeze out some details). They didn't have much in the way of details, but were able to tell me that it would be a bit larger than the T3, and would have a much higher power output. When I asked about the price point, they mentioned that it would be priced higher than the T3 due to the fact that the T5 has 11 ICs, while the T3 has only 2 ICs. They also added that they were done with development and were looking to release it in July or August. 

Summer went by and no news of the T5 appeared on the iBasso website so I asked them again in mid-August if any progress had been made. Apparently, there was an enclosure issue and they were now just waiting for the mold to be worked out. They said that they could release it as soon as the mold was fixed and told me to await an imminent press release.

No such press release came so I asked them on October 5th if there was any news. Lo and behold, they responded with the following message:

Hi,
I am really sorry that we are unable to finish the T5 on time. Anyway, I can confirm that we can release it in 2 weeks.
The price is 169USD.
The following are the specs:
Power Source:Built-in 4.2V 470mAh Li-polymer Batteries or external power supply
Frequency Response: 10Hz~100 KHz +/- 1dB 
Signal to Noise Ratio:-104dB 
Output power:Up to 175mW+175mW into 32Ω  
Gain:  0dB/ +7dB 
Battery Life:   20 Hours 
Battery Charge Time: 2 Hours
External Power supply: 5V DC
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~300Ω
Case dimension: 41W x 81L x 10H (mm)
Weight:  62g

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

These specs seem very interesting and it's at a very competitive price point, the same as the c421 to be exact. Some things that pop out at me:
- Despite the fact that it is indeed bigger than the T3, it's still quite small and most importantly, thin
- Battery life is impressive at 20 Hours
- Output at 175mW into 32Ω is equivalent to 2.366 VRMS (correct me if I'm wrong), which seems quite powerful

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 4
C421 direct competitor
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back