iBasso T2 vs Minibox-e+ vs Tomahawk vs Pico for my situation
Apr 14, 2008 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

triggerc

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking to get a portable amp for my iPod Touch and Shure E4c, and sometimes my SR60. Size matters to me quite a bit, so preferrably small and thin amps would be the best. I've narrowed my search down to the iBasso T2, minibox-e+, tomahawk, and pico. I'm wondering if the tomahawk and the pico would be worth the extra cost over the minibox-e+ in my situation.

Also let me know if I should look at any other amps!

Thanks in advance!

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 13
In my opinion, you're not going to get most of the benefits from a high quality amp until you upgrade your earphones. If you're willing to spend Tomahawk or Pico money, get a lesser amp, sell your earphones and sink the rest into something better. The Pico and Tomahawk will certainly sound better than the T2 (which should be your choice if you're worried about size; it's tiny), but not hundreds of dollars better. TF10 or SE530 out of a T2 (or unamped) would beat E4 out of a Tomahawk any day.

Are you planning to use this setup only portably? Like, while walking around?

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, you're not going to get most of the benefits from a high quality amp until you upgrade your earphones. If you're willing to spend Tomahawk or Pico money, get a lesser amp, sell your earphones and sink the rest into something better. The Pico and Tomahawk will certainly sound better than the T2 (which should be your choice if you're worried about size; it's tiny), but not hundreds of dollars better. TF10 or SE530 out of a T2 (or unamped) would beat E4 out of a Tomahawk any day.

Are you planning to use this setup only portably? Like, while walking around?

Yeah I'm actively considering the SE530 as well. It will be mostly a portable setup, though I guess it would be nice to be able to use the headphone amp with a DAC for my PC in the future as well.

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 13
I would recommend the Tomahawk, for sure. It does sound better than the Minibox, and the battery life trumps all the other amps, at 400 hours on two AAA batteries. The Pico is also recommended, and you'd be getting a DAC as well, even though it's the most expensive of the lot.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 13
Personally, I would reccomend getting the Triple.Fi with the MiniBox-E.

That way you will get great soundstage (for an IEM) and a much more balanced spectrum.

Then, if you want to in the future, you can get the tomahawk (which I really like).

The treble rolloff of the SE530 and cable issue makes me have a harder time reccomending them over the Triple-Fi. If you get a chance, I would get the ES2 cable for the triple-fi's ( I hear it does wonders!).

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm comparing the frequency response graphs on headroom right now. Both the Triple.Fi 10 pro and the SE530 have that spike in the upper mid, is there any amp that will boost the higher end more? I'm a metalhead, so I really like my mids and highs

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 13
To which kind of metal do you listen?
My SE530s work delightfully well for death and melodic death. If I listened to doom, I'm sure I'd enjoy that to no end, as well.

And... at least in my experience, the treble-rolloff is as bad as people make it out to be. It sounds somewhat similar to the E4s, just less fatiguing, IME.

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 13
I listen to a lot of progressive metal, so it's not as heavy as death/melodic death. I know it's not very likely, but are there IEMs that have a sound signature similar to the grados?

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that the livewires have a similar sounds signature to the grados.

I don't have any ear impression places around here, would that be a problem?

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any ear impression places around here, would that be a problem?

Are you not in a city?

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you not in a city?

Negative, I'm in the middle of friggin' no where of central PA, State College just has nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back