iBasso SR2 Reaching for more music.
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #123 of 205
Darn the news of inconsistency among models is saddening, i was waiting for Black Friday/cyber Monday to look for a deal. Now my interest is gone lol.
I am not sure if you mean an inconsistency with the SR2 or something else, but each SR2 has the drivers matched and they also have to perform within strict limits, so if there are variables between SR2s, it would have more to do with ear pads used and amplifier and of course the source.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #124 of 205
I am not sure if you mean an inconsistency with the SR2 or something else, but each SR2 has the drivers matched and they also have to perform within strict limits, so if there are variables between SR2s, it would have more to do with ear pads used and amplifier and of course the source.
Thanks. I misread the comment made. The wait for deals continues lol

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #125 of 205
Considering Beyer already released 3rd gen recently, you can probably get a good deal on 2nd hand 2nd gen :D, but it is an overlap. Plus, I had to upgrade the earpads (using leather ones, Dan Clark's Alpha pads) and have silver cable, all that just to bring up bass a little more. Tbh, the only advantage in this case would be more isolation since T5p is not really open back, instead it has large 5mm vent on each earcup which does leak out the sound when you sitting close to it. I'm in a situation where I always need to have privacy when listening, so I never use open back headphones, only for testing.
Thank you.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #127 of 205
Hi everyone, just dropping by to let you know I've just published my review of the iBasso SR2 headphones here on Head-Fi :)
You can find it at the link below. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions; best way is to post them in the comments under the review.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-audio-sr2.24689/review/25032/

I should be reviewing the iFi Neo iDSD amp at some point in the coming days (or weeks, depending on how things go).
The SR2 will probably feature prominently in that review too, and I may update this one at that point too, if I have any notable feedback :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #128 of 205
A trusted German review site I know says very good things about SR2: "This is great cinema and leaves me speechless for the first few minutes of listening. Quite a few manufacturers would charge a four-digit amount for this acoustic performance. Because the SR2 undoubtedly goes far beyond its price tag and easily positions itself in the EUR 1,000 + class."

If you guys haven't seen the review, you can use the Google translate:

https://musicalhead.de/2020/08/27/test-ibasso-sr2/

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #129 of 205
I love the SR2 and let me say it's a fabulous pairing with iBasso very own DX300.... a very analog sounding combo with superb vocals and a smooth, liquid and lively midrange... I get dreamy with those on my head :)

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #131 of 205
z did a review

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #132 of 205
Couple of things I've learned by reading lots of impressions - the SR2 can come across as bass lean (which exacerbates midrange forwardness) with brand new stiff pads and if paired with any amp that have extremely low output impedance.

So, best to soften up pads and pair with a decently powerful amp with moderate amount of output impedance before making any judgements of the sound.

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #133 of 205
Couple of things I've learned by reading lots of impressions - the SR2 can come across as bass lean (which exacerbates midrange forwardness) with brand new stiff pads and if paired with any amp that have extremely low output impedance.

So, best to soften up pads and pair with a decently powerful amp with moderate amount of output impedance before making any judgements of the sound.
Not sure why someone would get that impression but to me, they are not bass lean. More to do with the amp as I find them to be pretty truthful to the source.

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #134 of 205

Everyone's idea of bass lean, bass heavy is widely different. Before I bought the Denon 7200, most people talked about it's heavy bass. It has less sub bass than any headphone I own. I don't find the bass lean at all with the SR2, but perhaps my perception has been skewed from my other cans. Personally, I think the bass is just about right. Plus it comes across pretty clean.

Apr 10, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #135 of 205
Everyone's idea of bass lean, bass heavy is widely different. Before I bought the Denon 7200, most people talked about it's heavy bass. It has less sub bass than any headphone I own. I don't find the bass lean at all with the SR2, but perhaps my perception has been skewed from my other cans. Personally, I think the bass is just about right. Plus it comes across pretty clean.
There's a chance that you're not putting in enough juice into your Denons...

👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back