iBasso SR2 Reaching for more music.
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #91 of 205
Headband feels and smells like leather. earpads are super soft I cant 100% tell if its leather or not. but the stock pads are fantastic on it, i'm not sure they need replacing. I tried several pads. Brainwaves Gel + sheepskin, Dekoni LCD angled Velour, Yaxi th900 Velour, everything seems to take away from the sound rather than improve it over Stock. Even the second set is a little 'meh' (to my ears).
I cant fault them. I currently use them as my everyday driver and I replaced Arya for them for music, netflix, gaming, conference calls etc. Took >100hrs for them to burn in, they need a little time to blossom out of the box.
100 hours eh? What changes have you encountered?

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #92 of 205
On my end I didn't notice much change during burn in honestly it was pretty great from day one :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #93 of 205
Maybe it was psychosomatic 🤷‍♂️ I feel like the sub-bass has improved notably, i was also having issues getting it to normalize, it felt lacking in some frequencies it just sounded dull. after a few days and re-testing the same music, tracks that had unimpressed me before sounded much more detailed and fun.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #94 of 205
Headband feels and smells like leather. earpads are super soft I cant 100% tell if its leather or not. but the stock pads are fantastic on it, i'm not sure they need replacing. I tried several pads. Brainwaves Gel + sheepskin, Dekoni LCD angled Velour, Yaxi th900 Velour, everything seems to take away from the sound rather than improve it over Stock. Even the second set is a little 'meh' (to my ears).
I cant fault them. I currently use them as my everyday driver and I replaced Arya for them for music, netflix, gaming, conference calls etc. Took >100hrs for them to burn in, they need a little time to blossom out of the box.
Thank you kind, definitely consider getting a pair. Hopefully there will be a black Friday deal .:)

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #95 of 205
I am not sure about a black friday deal for the SR2, it's already a sweet deal at retail price IMHO!

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #96 of 205
Maybe it was psychosomatic 🤷‍♂️ I feel like the sub-bass has improved notably, i was also having issues getting it to normalize, it felt lacking in some frequencies it just sounded dull. after a few days and re-testing the same music, tracks that had unimpressed me before sounded much more detailed and fun.
I hope this is the case. Those are the very two things I'm taking a little issue with. I'm not a firm believer in burn in though.

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #97 of 205
I hope this is the case. Those are the very two things I'm taking a little issue with. I'm not a firm believer in burn in though.
It is well known that drivers need to be used to limber up. A violin needs to be played to sound its best, the resonance of the wood changes with use and if not played, tends to revert. There isn't a headphone I have that hasn't changed with use, often for the better, but not always. And some never get better but do change. The SR2 has excellent bass depth compared to my other "very good" headphones that also have good bass. Upper frequencies are natural and extended and I really like the SR2 with the new CB17 cable (4.4 TRRRS out of the Max, the Absolute by Manley or the LTA Z10e.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #98 of 205
It is well known that drivers need to be used to limber up. A violin needs to be played to sound its best, the resonance of the wood changes with use and if not played, tends to revert. There isn't a headphone I have that hasn't changed with use, often for the better, but not always. And some never get better but do change. The SR2 has excellent bass depth compared to my other "very good" headphones that also have good bass. Upper frequencies are natural and extended and I really like the SR2 with the new CB17 cable (4.4 TRRRS out of the Max, the Absolute by Manley or the LTA Z10e.
For 100 hours? There's definitely two schools of thought on the subject. Not looking for a debate. I'll just keep listening and see what happens 👍

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #100 of 205
Anyone saying these are shouty or shrill is either drunk or on acid, if the amp is working correctly. I would compare them to some of the best headphones I have regardless of price. They are right there. Very good sound stage, solid impact/dynamics and wonderful frequency range and timbre.
You are saying the SR2 are up there with the best headphones in every single department? If that's the case can you explain more and what are the TOTL headphones iBasso SR2 compare to or are better? Thank you.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #101 of 205
As I mentioned a few posts before, I got a SR2 last month. I was really surprised by its soundquality. And for the first real Headphone of this company, the build quality is impressive. But I think there is one problem with the construction that holds the cup and headband together and allows to rotate horizontally.
as I got my first SR2, there was everything fine out of the box. But after a short time, the screw got loosen up. I asked my dealer what to do, and they said I have to tighten it up. I did, but only a few movements later, the problem was there again.
They decided to replace my unit. I received the new one and the same problem was here again.
Keep in mind .. I use the headphone for that what it is.. I never put force in any way on it. I am really confused. There is a review on headfi, that guy had the same problem with his SR2. Is there any solution, so I can balance my time better in a direction to here more music, than working on holding everything on its place? :wink:

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #102 of 205
As I mentioned a few posts before, I got a SR2 last month. I was really surprised by its soundquality. And for the first real Headphone of this company, the build quality is impressive. But I think there is one problem with the construction that holds the cup and headband together and allows to rotate horizontally.
as I got my first SR2, there was everything fine out of the box. But after a short time, the screw got loosen up. I asked my dealer what to do, and they said I have to tighten it up. I did, but only a few movements later, the problem was there again.
They decided to replace my unit. I received the new one and the same problem was here again.
Keep in mind .. I use the headphone for that what it is.. I never put force in any way on it. I am really confused. There is a review on headfi, that guy had the same problem with his SR2. Is there any solution, so I can balance my time better in a direction to here more music, than working on holding everything on its place? :wink:

I have exactly the same issue... I don't know what to do... Send back to my local dealer or keep it and use it very carefully...

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #103 of 205
Need to keep tabs on this... how do you store it?

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #104 of 205
I’ve tried this headphone twice now and gotta admit that it is a strange tuning per my ears. It’s like it’s trying to be three things all at once: planar magnetic in the bass..which it sorta resembles yet somehow feels like it’s 5 dB too low in the mix. Then we’ve got electrostatic mids with that huge hump of energy around 1k...rounded off by a little Beyeresque treble tomfoolery.
This is certainly not my bag, but I fully understand why others would go absolutely nuts for it....yet it seems like even describing tonality in this hobby can be seen as ‘derogatory’. What I mean by that is that I mentioned it being rather bright last night, and while my buddy vehemently agreed with a big smile on his face..his audio acquintance almost threw a fit:
‘It’s not bright man!! It’s natural! You’re just used to dull sounding cans with zero resolution’
...or something to that effect.
My friend and I were pretty dumbstruck. He knows full well that it is a bright headphone...that’s why he bought it...just like the reason he bought his DT1990..he loves a brighter presentation...yet for some reason there seems to be folks in this hobby who are very sensitive to any words or descriptions that can be seen as negative. Yet how can a sound signature be negative..if you really dig it?
Btw my friend is seriously pondering whether or not to sell his DT1990 in favour of the SR2..and he loves his Beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back