Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Sep 22, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #826 of 915
Does the SR2 work correctly with the stock cable that came with it?
Sure, it does. This stock cable is one of the best stock cables i came along with.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #827 of 915
I have 2 balanced cables. One that cost me 80,- euro on AliExpress and the other one was 35,- euro. The more expensive one I use with my Denon AH-D5200 which works perfectly and the cheaper one I used for my Meze 99 Neo (which I sold). The more expensive one only works on one side of the PR2 (while it clicks in fine) while the cheaper cable works fine. But when I listen to the cheaper cable and the original cable it looks like the original cable sounds better. Somewhere I read that iBasso did a lot of research for the cable. Because my Fiio Q3 MQA can easily drive the PR2 it is not necessary to use a balanced cable. Even a original Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle is strong enough to drive the PR2.
For now I will keep using the stock cable and maybe in the future I will buy the original iBasso balanced cable. Also, to be honest, while the PR2 sounds very good I was expecting it to sound better. They sound a lot better then my Meze 99 Neo and Grado’s but not much better than my Denon. Maybe they will sound a little better after burn in?
Anyway, I will keep them, thats for sure but I will definitely also keep my Denon. Also I am curious how they will hold up against the Grado SR325X. Although not really analytical and audiophile I must admit my SR60X are a of lot fun to listen to. Also maybe the PR2 will sound better with a more expensive DAC/amplifier then my Q3. I don’t know.
It is SR2 or SR3, not PR2. :^)

Yes, it requires, as I have found with all headphones, to be burned in. 50 to 100 hours. I find that among the many headphones I have that the SR2 and especially the SR3, are some of the best. That is comparing head to head with the Sony R-10 and others. Different yes, but open and musical and they grab the essence of the music, and for me, I really feel the music, and that is the most important aspect of listening.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #828 of 915
Yeah…. Had my Kz PR2 in mind….all these names confuse me 😀
I edited my comment.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #829 of 915
Yeah…. Had my Kz PR2 in mind….all these names confuse me 😀
I edited my comment.
I know exactly what you mean. It gets confusing. That is why I gave my children very different names. :^)

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #830 of 915
I have 2 balanced cables. One that cost me 80,- euro on AliExpress and the other one was 35,- euro. The more expensive one I use with my Denon AH-D5200 which works perfectly and the cheaper one I used for my Meze 99 Neo (which I sold). The more expensive one only works on one side of the SR2 (while it clicks in fine) while the cheaper cable works fine. But when I listen to the cheaper cable and the original cable it looks like the original cable sounds better. Somewhere I read that iBasso did a lot of research for the cable. Because my Fiio Q3 MQA can easily drive the SR2 it is not necessary to use a balanced cable. Even a original Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle is strong enough to drive the SR2.
For now I will keep using the stock cable and maybe in the future I will buy the original iBasso balanced cable. Also, to be honest, while the PR2 sounds very good I was expecting it to sound better. They sound a lot better then my Meze 99 Neo and Grado’s but not much better than my Denon. Maybe they will sound a little better after burn in?
Anyway, I will keep them, thats for sure but I will definitely also keep my Denon. Also I am curious how they will hold up against the Grado SR325X. Although not really analytical and audiophile I must admit my SR60X are a of lot fun to listen to. Also maybe the SR2 will sound better with a more expensive DAC/amplifier then my Q3. I don’t know.
The 5200 is a pretty good headphone no doubt. That being said, it is a closed back and has some limitations. The music will sound more direct, immediate, and intimate than the SR2. The SR2 should provide a better out of the head experience. It will also reveal artifacts and nuances with better detail and liveliness. In short, you should be able to hear these things with greater affect. They should stand out more. The overall presentation is better imo. More defined instrument separation, especially when songs become busy. More air in between spaces as well. Any closed back is limited in these regards. The SR2 does all these things well, while maintaining very good note weight, definition, and articulation. The SR2 is equally as dynamic as the 5200, if not more so. It's much more resolving as well. Give it some time and allow your brain to adjust to what you're hearing. I would recommend not listening to the 5200 for a while while you become familiar with the SR2. Lastly, you're gonna want to try the 2nd (additional) set of pads that came with the SR2. Most people prefer them. They change the presentation for the better imo.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #831 of 915
The 5200 is a pretty good headphone no doubt. That being said, it is a closed back and has some limitations. The music will sound more direct, immediate, and intimate than the SR2. The SR2 should provide a better out of the head experience. It will also reveal artifacts and nuances with better detail and liveliness. In short, you should be able to hear these things with greater affect. They should stand out more. The overall presentation is better imo. More defined instrument separation, especially when songs become busy. More air in between spaces as well. Any closed back is limited in these regards. The SR2 does all these things well, while maintaining very good note weight, definition, and articulation. The SR2 is equally as dynamic as the 5200, if not more so. It's much more resolving as well. Give it some time and allow your brain to adjust to what you're hearing. I would recommend not listening to the 5200 for a while while you become familiar with the SR2. Lastly, you're gonna want to try the 2nd (additional) set of pads that came with the SR2. Most people prefer them. They change the presentation for the better imo.
Yes, for the time being I will not use my 5200… I remember reading that the other pads (with bigger holes) sound not as good but you say the opposite…Are they easy to replace? If so I will change them today but I am a bit afraid to damage my precious headphone :wink:
It will probably not be as easy as with the Grado’s… I once replaced the pads on my PSB and it took me almost an hour… I was sweating and as time went by I got more and more emotional, afraid I would never be able to put them on hahaha…

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #832 of 915
Anyone has experience with streaming music? I did use YouTube music (especially for the videoclips) but now I am using Deezer because of the better sound quality. I saw that Apple Music even has better quality than Deezer. Would you be able to tell the difference (using a Dac/amplifier) when using a high quality headphone like the SR2?

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #833 of 915
Yes, for the time being I will not use my 5200… I remember reading that the other pads (with bigger holes) sound not as good but you say the opposite…Are they easy to replace? If so I will change them today but I am a bit afraid to damage my precious headphone :wink:
It will probably not be as easy as with the Grado’s… I once replaced the pads on my PSB and it took me almost an hour… I was sweating and as time went by I got more and more emotional, afraid I would never be able to put them on hahaha…
It's relatively easy, doesn't take much time. I believe there is a pad change video for the 99 Classics. Maybe on the Meze Website, but definitely on YouTube. The SR2 is the same deal. Just be gentle and you'll be fine.

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #834 of 915
Do the thicker side of the pads need to go down or up?

*edit*

I googled for the answer and I think the thicker sides faces the rear and thinner side faces to the front? Please correct me if I am wrong

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #836 of 915
Do the thicker side of the pads need to go down or up?

*edit*

I googled for the answer and I think the thicker sides faces the rear and thinner side faces to the front? Please correct me if I am wrong
The thicker section goes toward the back of the head. Think of it as tilting the headphones so they are angled to direct the sound not just from the sides, but from slightly forward/in front of you.

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #837 of 915
The thicker side should go to the rear. There is a line/notch on the outside of the pad. The line should line up next to the cup jacks.
Uuhhh…. I have the line/notch exactly on the other side….if I align the line/notch with the jacks then the thicker side of the pads will be facing forward

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #838 of 915
IMG_0100.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back