Ibasso SR2...... šŸ€ šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø...here šŸ˜³
Jul 25, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #811 of 915
Pulled these out again for listening. Had to tighten the yokes already which was weird. Seemed way too soon, but OK.

I read about how the big hole pads are better and I decide to try them out. I hate changing pads on these as it tends to be a 3-5 minutes procedure to put them back on, but I go for it. It does not go well and as I am trying to figure out what's wrong I see a loose piece of material. There is a support piece around the lip and it has separated from the ear pad. The only kind of luck I have with this set is bad. :unamused:

Back to the other pads and keep going.

IMG_20230725_155956837_HDR~2.jpg
This makes my heart hurt! I had something almost identical happen to me trying to swap pads on my Monoprice Monolith M1570C and I just gave up trying to swap pads on those. :sweat_smile:

I have the original SR1 and I hate the MMCX on those as one side is always loose and the connection drops in and out (on both the stock cable and on a balanced Periapt XLR cable) -- I've considered moving up to the SR2 or SR3 and I've just not pulled the trigger. I'm thinking the SR3 might be better than the SR2.

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #812 of 915
This makes my heart hurt! I had something almost identical happen to me trying to swap pads on my Monoprice Monolith M1570C and I just gave up trying to swap pads on those. :sweat_smile:

I have the original SR1 and I hate the MMCX on those as one side is always loose and the connection drops in and out (on both the stock cable and on a balanced Periapt XLR cable) -- I've considered moving up to the SR2 or SR3 and I've just not pulled the trigger. I'm thinking the SR3 might be better than the SR2.
I would avoid iBasso unless it is a screamin' deal. I just bought a couple of dongles and iBasso was Not in the running. :smile:

Clip pads are awesome!

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #813 of 915
I would avoid iBasso unless it is a screamin' deal. I just bought a couple of dongles and iBasso was Not in the running. :smile:

Clip pads are awesome!
I have the DC04PRO and the DC03PRO. My daughter uses the 03 and no issues and uses most every day from her phone. I use the 04 and no issues.

The SR series, I read that some have issues, and like anything, there will always, always be some. But again on those, and I use the SR3 now every day along with the R10 and zero issues. I prefer the stock pads over the larger hole pads. The retail on the SR3 is a great deal, frankly. They will compete, IMO, with anything on the market at a fraction of the price and have been less of a problem than some much more expensive headphones.

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #814 of 915
@jamato8

You don't find the stock pads to have a muffled or boomy sound to them?

Man it's like night and day for me, quite literally between the 2 different pads.

I'm quite sure the whole headphone would have been sold right away by me if they only came with the small hole pads - to me it makes them sound muffled.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #815 of 915
Pulled these out again for listening. Had to tighten the yokes already which was weird. Seemed way too soon, but OK.

I read about how the big hole pads are better and I decide to try them out. I hate changing pads on these as it tends to be a 3-5 minutes procedure to put them back on, but I go for it. It does not go well and as I am trying to figure out what's wrong I see a loose piece of material. There is a support piece around the lip and it has separated from the ear pad. The only kind of luck I have with this set is bad. :unamused:

Back to the other pads and keep going.

I have an extra of the small hole pads I can sell you if you decide that you'd like it though personally I think the large hole is the way to go anyways.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #816 of 915
I have an extra of the small hole pads I can sell you if you decide that you'd like it.
Where are you located? Not worth bringing up from the states, to me.

Jul 25, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #818 of 915
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #819 of 915
Hi all,

As you can see from my signature I tested a lot of headphones and IEMā€™s recently (started this hobby in January 2023 :)
Not even once I came across the PR2.
Recently I bought a Grado SR60X and I liked the sound a lot so I decided to buy the SR325X (or even maybe the hemp).
In the store where I wanted to buy the SR325X I accidentally came across the iBasso PR2 and the Sendy Audio Apollo which both I never heard of in my extended search for the past half year. I know the store where I usually buy (wifimedia.eu) mostly sells stuff they think are good so I decided to read some reviews. Especially the PR2 was praised in many reviews and also a lot on my favorite audio forum (head-fi.org) so I decided to buy them. Another benefit was that if I bought the SR325X I had to sell the SR60X which are 8 days old. Keeping 2 alike headphones in my collections doesnā€™t make sense. Now that I bought the PR2 I can keep the SR60X which I do enjoy. I read a lot of your guys comments and with every comment I got more and more excited. Will this really be my endgame? Maybe almost but even that I have not tried them yet I think my Fiio Q3 MQA probably is not good enough for these cansā€¦My desktop setup is a SMSL C200, maybe that is ok. I have a16 core aftermarket cable with 4.4mm Pentacon (from AliExpress) so the balanced option is available. If this works better then I will invest in the original iBasso cb17 balanced cable.
Well, tomorrow they arrive and I will immediately test them with the Q3 but do you guys have a recommendation for a DAC/amplifier? Remember, I am a audiophile on a budget :wink: . If I could do my journey over again I would not have wasted my money on cheap IEMā€™s that mostly suck. The only real good IEM I have is the Hidisz MS3 and maybe the HiFiMan RE600 Silver.
First I will listen to the PR in the way they are shipped and later on with other pads (I read the pads from my Denon AH-D5200 will also fit).
I have a good feeling about the PR2 and I canā€™t wait till itā€™s Friday. BTW I payed 399,- euro for them, 200,- less then for my Denonā€™s.
Thank you all for this thread and again, feel free to suggest some dac/amp comboā€™s which are not to expensive but will work great with the PR2.

All the best to you guys from the Netherlands

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #820 of 915
Hi all,

As you can see from my signature I tested a lot of headphones and IEMā€™s recently (started this hobby in January 2023 :)
Recently I bought a Grado SR60X and I liked the sound a lot so I decided to buy the SR325X (or even maybe the hemp).
In the store where I wanted to buy the SR325X I accidentally came across the iBasso PR2 and the Sendy Audio Apollo which both I never heard of in my extended search for the past half year. I know the store where I usually buy (wifimedia.eu) mostly sells stuff they think are good so I decided to read some reviews. Especially the PR2 was praised in many reviews and also a lot on my favorite audio forum (head-fi.org) so I decided to buy them. Another benefit was that if I bought the SR325X I had to sell the SR60X which are 8 days old. Keeping 2 alike headphones in my collections doesnā€™t make sense. Now that I bought the PR2 I can keep the SR60X which I do enjoy. I read a lot of your guys comments and with every comment I got more and more excited. Will this really be my endgame? Maybe almost but even that I have not tried them yet I think my Fiio Q3 MQA probably is not good enough for these cansā€¦My desktop setup is a SMSL C200, maybe that is ok. I have a16 core aftermarket cable with 4.4mm Pentacon (from AliExpress) so the balanced option is available. If this works better then I will invest in the original iBasso cb17 balanced cable.
Well, tomorrow they arrive and I will immediately test them with the Q3 but do you guys have a recommendation for a DAC/amplifier? Remember, I am a audiophile on a budget :wink: . If I could do my journey over again I would not have wasted my money on cheap IEMā€™s that mostly suck. The only real good IEM I have is the Hidisz MS3 and maybe the HiFiMan RE600 Silver.
First I will listen to the PR in the way they are shipped and later on with other pads (I read the pads from my Denon AH-D5200 will also fit).
I have a good feeling about the PR2 and I canā€™t wait till itā€™s Friday. BTW I payed 399,- euro for them, 200,- less then for my Denonā€™s.
Thank you all for this thread and again, feel free to suggest some dac/amp comboā€™s which are not to expensive but will work great with the PR2.

DonĀ“t know about your budget!? But i personally recommend the CB17 cable. As for an amp or even dac/amp, itĀ“s not easy to give a subjective recommendation. The SR2 isnĀ“t "hard" to drive. Are you able to try some gear anywhere? Personally, i liked the SR2 with rebel amp, chord mojo OG/ 2, Questyle CMA 400i, RNHP aso. You could also have a look on products from geshelli labs. As for the SR3 (150 ohms) f.e., iĀ“d recommend to try an OTL. Sounds great.

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #821 of 915
Hi all,

I am beyond happy with the RME ADI2Pro

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #822 of 915
I just got my PR2 and am very happy but there is one thing I donā€™t understand.
I have 2 balanced cables that both work fine with my Meze 99 Neo, HiFiMan HE400SE and Denon AH-D5200 but on the PR2 they only give sound on one side.
Is there a difference between my cables and the original CB17 balanced cable from iBasso?

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #823 of 915
I just got my PR2 and am very happy but there is one thing I donā€™t understand.
I have 2 balanced cables that both work fine with my Meze 99 Neo, HiFiMan HE400SE and Denon AH-D5200 but on the PR2 they only give sound on one side.
Is there a difference between my cables and the original CB17 balanced cable from iBasso?
It should work fine, so long as the plugs are making connection. I use my balanced Meze cable with them all the time. Could be an issue with your SR2 or device.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #824 of 915
Does the SR2 work correctly with the stock cable that came with it?

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #825 of 915
Does the SR2 work correctly with the stock cable that came with it?
I have 2 balanced cables. One that cost me 80,- euro on AliExpress and the other one was 35,- euro. The more expensive one I use with my Denon AH-D5200 which works perfectly and the cheaper one I used for my Meze 99 Neo (which I sold). The more expensive one only works on one side of the SR2 (while it clicks in fine) while the cheaper cable works fine. But when I listen to the cheaper cable and the original cable it looks like the original cable sounds better. Somewhere I read that iBasso did a lot of research for the cable. Because my Fiio Q3 MQA can easily drive the SR2 it is not necessary to use a balanced cable. Even a original Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle is strong enough to drive the SR2.
For now I will keep using the stock cable and maybe in the future I will buy the original iBasso balanced cable. Also, to be honest, while the PR2 sounds very good I was expecting it to sound better. They sound a lot better then my Meze 99 Neo and Gradoā€™s but not much better than my Denon. Maybe they will sound a little better after burn in?
Anyway, I will keep them, thats for sure but I will definitely also keep my Denon. Also I am curious how they will hold up against the Grado SR325X. Although not really analytical and audiophile I must admit my SR60X are a of lot fun to listen to. Also maybe the SR2 will sound better with a more expensive DAC/amplifier then my Q3. I donā€™t know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back