Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Sep 21, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #226 of 915
Holy Schitt. Sorry folks. I'll be passing on these. The perforated pads probably dropped the bass a bit but in general these are clearly re-voiced. We can say FR graphs don't matter and it's subjective blah blah blah. That is way off from the Fletcher Munson curve. The sub and mid bass should at least be equal to the high mids to get a bearable kind of sound. The SR-1 was among the best I'd ever heard for semi-open or any style of headphone. Exactly as was said above, venturing into dark territory but never so. Just where it matters in having a relaxing nice listen, but not missing any details at the same time.

I don't want to hear about how well these take EQ, I don't buy cans to put EQ on them, the pairs I like must be able to sound good in multiple playback systems without it, since not every system makes it easy to add EQ which can add phase shift (if it's the rare linear phase EQ to avoid that, it ads pre-ringing) as well. The voicing of the originals with stock non-perforated pads (even with the later introduced perforated pads) was for low mids to mid bass to subs being flat or curving up as you went lower. That is ideal. Unless those measurements are wrong or way off from perceived sonics, they are a step down.

I don’t have both but Jamato does and I think he has found improvement from the SR1...I know that these are solid phones and hope you can can jam and see for yourself.

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #227 of 915
Holy Schitt. Sorry folks. I'll be passing on these. The perforated pads probably dropped the bass a bit but in general these are clearly re-voiced. We can say FR graphs don't matter and it's subjective blah blah blah. That is way off from the Fletcher Munson curve. The sub and mid bass should at least be equal to the high mids to get a bearable kind of sound. The SR-1 was among the best I'd ever heard for semi-open or any style of headphone. Exactly as was said above, venturing into dark territory but never so. Just where it matters in having a relaxing nice listen, but not missing any details at the same time.

I don't want to hear about how well these take EQ, I don't buy cans to put EQ on them, the pairs I like must be able to sound good in multiple playback systems without it, since not every system makes it easy to add EQ which can add phase shift (if it's the rare linear phase EQ to avoid that, it ads pre-ringing) as well. The voicing of the originals with stock non-perforated pads (even with the later introduced perforated pads) was for low mids to mid bass to subs being flat or curving up as you went lower. That is ideal. Unless those measurements are wrong or way off from perceived sonics, they are a step down.
I would say it is more about trusting your ears. Having compared these to some of the best phones around, they are excellent. And no EQ needed (I don't use it).

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #228 of 915

I would agree with you to some extent if I were using the stock pads. But I will vouch for the alternate pads; they have been bang on. I do believe the change in sound is drastic. I've never used and will never use EQ, I am opposed to coloring sources.

----

Hundred+ hours in, and I still can't like the stock pads. At times I scratch my head wondering why the 2nd pair of pads weren't shipped attached to the sr2 or why the change in sound wasn't mentioned earlier in this forum or in reviews. How you described the sr1 is what I hear on the 2nd set of pads. These are bright and maintain the lushness I hear on andro v1/it04 while employing a fat and well-layered/controlled bass to the lower ends. It has been hard going back to the thinned small sound of the mentioned iems and I've been setting aside music listening time more often then I used to. I would strongly recommend trying before you buy, but there's a good chance they'll be using the stock pads. My opinion isn't based on a comparison/experience to another gear, where's yours is so take it with a grain of salt.

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #229 of 915
I used them for a while now and I can say SR2 are not colored at all, they are really balanced and relaxing.
There is a huge difference between the pads, I personally prefer the second pair since I find the female voices disturbing on the first pair, but the first pair has more bass. I have read all the comments and yes, you can hear everything, no doubt on that, but you have to admit they are not so detailed, I expected more on this side. Let's talk about the bass, I prefer a warmer sound, they don't remind me a live concert or a movie in the cinema, the bass is balanced with every frequence, I think iBasso reached their objective, unluckly for me that's not what I'm looking for. If you have IT04, that's the sound you have to expect, more or less, I love IT04, but from headphones I wish a different sound, something that iems can't give me.
I'm sorry to say that this product is not for me, I love iBasso, I trust them and I will keep buying their products in the future, but I wish to return these cans even if I don't know if it's possible or not.

If you want a really balanced and relaxing sound, SR2 are the way.

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #230 of 915
I used them for a while now and I can say SR2 are not colored at all, they are really balanced and relaxing.
There is a huge difference between the pads, I personally prefer the second pair since I find the female voices disturbing on the first pair, but the first pair has more bass. I have read all the comments and yes, you can hear everything, no doubt on that, but you have to admit they are not so detailed, I expected more on this side. Let's talk about the bass, I prefer a warmer sound, they don't remind me a live concert or a movie in the cinema, the bass is balanced with every frequence, I think iBasso reached their objective, unluckly for me that's not what I'm looking for. If you have IT04, that's the sound you have to expect, more or less, I love IT04, but from headphones I wish a different sound, something that iems can't give me.
I'm sorry to say that this product is not for me, I love iBasso, I trust them and I will keep buying their products in the future, but I wish to return these cans even if I don't know if it's possible or not.

If you want a really balanced and relaxing sound, SR2 are the way.
The other pair of pads is different. I thought they were the same. ???

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #231 of 915
The other pair of pads is different. I thought they were the same. ???
Paul said on FB that they are different. I think he something to the effect that he did not give out the right information because he didn't know they were different, but better to look on FB.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #232 of 915
Paul said on FB that they are different. I think he something to the effect that he did not give out the right information because he didn't know they were different, but better to look on FB.
The look very similar to me...mine were an early set. I’ll have to dig out the box tomorrow from storage. I enjoy them with the pads that are installed currently.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #233 of 915
Hi guys, i want to buy a next level headphone and i saw this one, i have the AKG 712k pro and i want to know if this headphone are worth to buy it.

I had the opportunity to test the SR1 and was very good for my type of songs but i didn't liked the soundstage because was not very open for gaming.

How is the soundstage? Is just a bit open or much more open than the SR1? Are they good for gaming?

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #234 of 915
Hi guys, i want to buy a next level headphone and i saw this one, i have the AKG 712k pro and i want to know if this headphone are worth to buy it.

I had the opportunity to test the SR1 and was very good for my type of songs but i didn't liked the soundstage because was not very open for gaming.

How is the soundstage? Is just a bit open or much more open than the SR1? Are they good for gaming?

Thanks!

These do not have good soundstage compared to any open back headphone. These are semi-closed (I again, have no idea why they are labeled as open-back, false advertising) headphones and they sound like semi-closed headphones. I know some of the people who love these headphones on here claim otherwise, but they couldn't be more objectively wrong. If you are looking for gaming, look elsewhere.

There are great headphones for the price, but openness, soundstage and separation compared to most other similarly priced open backs is NOT one of those features.

I think this review is mostly on the money: https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articles/ibasso-sr2-review

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #235 of 915
These do not have good soundstage compared to any open back headphone. These are semi-closed (I again, have no idea why they are labeled as open-back, false advertising) headphones and they sound like semi-closed headphones. I know some of the people who love these headphones on here claim otherwise, but they couldn't be more objectively wrong. If you are looking for gaming, look elsewhere.

There are great headphones for the price, but openness, soundstage and separation compared to most other similarly priced open backs is NOT one of those features.

I think this review is mostly on the money: https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articles/ibasso-sr2-review
Not sure what you are using for a source but I find them to have a very good open soundstage. And I have plenty to compare to.

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #236 of 915
Not sure what you are using for a source but I find them to have a very good open soundstage. And I have plenty to compare to.

No, just no. Just like the person who said these are better or comparable then the Aryas, or any other $1,000+ headphone claims all over this topic. There's so much nonsense in this thread.

Do you know why these leak a good 50%+ less sound then any other open back headphone? Because they are not open-backs. DO you know why the review I linked stated the same thing, and many others I've read? Because when I took these off and compared to them:

AD1000x, LCD2's, He-400s and Beyer T1's they ALL sounded like they were open, with every single one having an obvious bigger soundstage.

Because these are not open-backs, they are semi-closed. Show me an actual open back headphone that leaks the same amount of sound that this does and you might convince me. It leaks less because its semi-closed, its physics. If its open back, it cant leak this little there's just no physical way to make that a thing. /discussion

Lets not start claiming things that are wrong. These are not as open sounding as just about any other open back headphone. I'm getting tired of the things spewed in this thread man.

I don't want people buying this headphone for the wrong reason, and this would be for the wrong reason.

Edit: Hell I remember me doing the hand test where I literally block the SR2's back entirely with my hand and the sound changed MAYBE 5-10%, unlike literally any other open back headphone I have ever owned. These are not in any way shape or form open backs, they don't function like ones and they don't sound like ones. Enough.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #237 of 915
No, just no. Just like the person who said these are better or comparable then the Aryas, or any other $1,000+ headphone claims all over this topic. There's so much nonsense in this thread.

Do you know why these leak a good 50%+ less sound then any other open back headphone? Because they are not open-backs. DO you know why the review I linked stated the same thing, and many others I've read? Because when I took these off and compared to them:

AD1000x, LCD2's, He-400s and Beyer T1's they ALL sounded like they were open, with every single one having an obvious bigger soundstage.

Because these are not open-backs, they are semi-closed. Show me an actual open back headphone that leaks the same amount of sound that this does and you might convince me. It leaks less because its semi-closed, its physics. If its open back, it cant leak this little there's just no physical way to make that a thing. /discussion

Lets not start claiming things that are wrong. These are not as open sounding as just about any other open back headphone. I'm getting tired of the things spewed in this thread man.

I don't want people buying this headphone for the wrong reason, and this would be for the wrong reason.

Edit: Hell I remember me doing the hand test where I literally block the SR2's back entirely with my hand and the sound changed MAYBE 5-10%, unlike literally any other open back headphone I have ever owned. These are not in any way shape or form open backs, they don't function like ones and they don't sound like ones. Enough.
What I say is not absolute and neither is what you say.

I don't happen to agree with you. And phones don't have to be totally open so have a large soundstage. Having used the Sony R10 can prove this. But again, I have plenty to compare to and these do have a good soundstage with very good imaging and layering. IMO

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #238 of 915
What I say is not absolute and neither is what you say.

I don't happen to agree with you. And phones don't have to be totally open so have a large soundstage. Having used the Sony R10 can prove this. But again, I have plenty to compare to and these do have a good soundstage with very good imaging and layering. IMO

They have a "good" soundstage compared to other semi closed/closed headphones, yes.

They do not hold a candle to a proper open back phone in the same price bracket.

The only absolute I am saying is these are not open back, and should not be treated as such because iBasso decided to false advertise.

I'm glad you like them and they sound as open as other open backs to you, but I just can't see how that's possible. Atleast not in an objective, physical level based on how they are built. And definitely not based on what I heard, which confirmed the way they were built.

Anyway, I'm just going to leave it at that. Anyone looking for an open back headphone, be catious of these. They are not. Soundwise y'all can form your own opinions, but I am still going to warn people who are expecting opens.

I got tricked/decieved and I don't want others to fall into the same trap.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #239 of 915
I again, have no idea why they are labeled as open-back, false advertising
You would be surprised to find out they are called open-back because their back is open.
they couldn't be more objectively wrong
This sounds like you are seeing yourself superior to others, perhaps you are the objective one? Sound is perceived differently by everyone, thus, your opinion is just your opinion - you are trying to tell other people that what they are hearing isn't true?? Ridiculous.
Do you know why these leak a good 50%+ less sound then any other open back headphone? Because they are not open-backs
Well... actually if you took any time to try to understand why they sound more closed, you would actually see that there is a double mesh (grill). The outside one is thick and not very dense, but below it is a very small-grid mesh, I believe this is what is making the sound more intense and present. If anything, there could be even more damping inside, but I doubt it - to me it appears that the double mesh system is the exact explanation behind the closed-back like isolation (vacuum-like), and the more intense presentation. Is their back open? Absolutely, so it's not false advertising. According to you, some manufacturers should state on their page that their headphone have sh^t build quality (khm.. khm... no need to name them, you should know by now).. However, that's not how marketing and business works =)

I personally prefer and like the semi-open nature of the SR2, so it's not comparable to sh^tty build quality (like I mentioned above), it's not something bad.

Because these are not open-backs, they are semi-closed
First time in my life do I hear the term "semi-closed", sound like "half empty".
I don't want people buying this headphone for the wrong reason, and this would be for the wrong reason
This clearly represents that you see yourself above everybody else on here. You sound like a supremist who is trying to say they are the only correct person. Toxic.

Hell I remember me doing the hand test where I literally block the SR2's back entirely with my hand and the sound changed MAYBE 5-10%
These are not in any way shape or form open backs, they don't function like ones and they don't sound like ones
Well, I guess the sound one these is coming out of the headband, it must be... because they are not open backs, are they? Ridiculous man, like how can you say something like this.....? Since your opinion is absolute (you even said it yourself)
The only absolute I am saying is these are not open back
Maybe you can try to explain to us how these headphones work... because if you are covering them and the sound barely changes, the sound cannot be coming out of the drivers, can it? These must be some alien technology.
I got tricked/decieved and I don't want others to fall into the same trap
Well damn, I cannot imagine what you would say about one particular manufacturer who produces high-quality headphones with horrifying build quality and driver failures at +1k USD headphones =)
In no way did iBasso false advertise, nor did they advertise them in a way that claims they have open and airy sound. Go to Hifigo, they sell them, they are marked as "semi-open", but elsewhere it's "open-back". It's a act that they have a large grill, which would make them open-back. However, the double mesh could classify them as "semi-open", because it does act as an obstacle for sound to travel through. @Paul - iBasso should officially reply here to let us know how he sees them as.

And please, why would you come on here to put other people's opinions down? Not only that, but claim that yours is absolute - essentially superior to others'
You really are making a fool of yourself and are far from being objective.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #240 of 915
Open, closed, semi-open, those are just words and without something to compare they mean nothing. Beyerdynamic marketed T1 as semi open. T1's like dt880's have a big hole at the back and it leaks as if it had no back at all. How about audioquest nighthawk? Like T1 it is semi open. Or is it really? IMG_20190213_080934.jpg
Fostex th series are closed back but they leak alot of sound. Design has a lot of hidden vents and they're quite open in a way. How about zmf eikon and atticus? According to zmf it is closed, or "closed vented" design. Is it more open than nighthawk? Maybe.
Headfy_ZMF_Atticus_Side.jpg
Want to know what worlds first "truly open" headphone looks like? Here: flare audio reference R1. It's closed and vented but because of patterns inside the cups it actually is only truly open headphone. That is what Flare claims.
11261947_thumb.jpg
What everyone can agree on is that a headphone with visibly exposed driver is always an open headphone. Like hd800. 36316ff5-3d78-4b60-8b9e-9e65a9461a2d._SL300__.jpg
Wow! Thats open! Or is it really? How about the magnet and driver frame that blocks the diaphgram? Focals are considered to be very open because diaphgram is not obstructed by the magnet.IMG_20190813_202809.jpg
What if that driver had a paper box around it? Closed? Open? Semi-open?

How about iBasso sr1? Driver on iBasso is housed in a tube covered by thick paper.
IMG_20200122_235238.jpg
Would you say it is open? Semi open? Closed? If it's not closed how thick does the paper have to be for it to count as closed? I don't know if sr2's are like that. It does have similar "tube" for the driver.
ibasso-sr2-dynamic-open-headphone-50mw-24-108db-3hz-40khz.jpg
Maybe it does not have that thick paper at the back. Maybe it does. Maybe it's thin paper or felt or something else entirely.

Yeah... Open, closed, semi-open such vague terms with no consensus on how those should be defined accurately. Arguing about the matter does not make much sense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back