Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Aug 21, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #91 of 915
I think the buzz or distortion comes from pairing a low impedance headphone with an amp that has a high output impedance. Always remember the golden rule:
The output impedance of the amp should (at least) be 1/8 of your headphones damping factor.
I personally wouldn’t hook up a dynamic driver headphone at around 20 ohm to anything with more than a 2 ohm output.
Also another thing to remember is that amps that come with both SE and balanced options often have twice as high an output impedance via the balanced jack.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #92 of 915
The problem can only be at the DAC/AMP level, if a headphone is broken it doesn't hiss, it usually just doesn't play, or it distorts :)
Seems like this may be the issue with TR-Amp. However, a headphone doesn't have to be broken, sometimes you get a faulty one and it doesn't perform that well. Though it's usually phase issue or tonality issues. I'll see what I can do.

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #93 of 915
I think the buzz or distortion comes from pairing a low impedance headphone with an amp that has a high output impedance. Always remember the golden rule:
The output impedance of the amp should (at least) be 1/8 of your headphones damping factor.
I personally wouldn’t hook up a dynamic driver headphone at around 20 ohm to anything with more than a 2 ohm output.
Also another thing to remember is that amps that come with both SE and balanced options often have twice as high an output impedance via the balanced jack.

I have a similar issue with my Yamaha integrated headphone amp - According to the manual, the output impedance is 32 Ohms. When I use my NightHawk or my LCD-XC (both around 25 Ohms), I can hear a very slight low frequency buzz in the background. With my Grado GS2000e (32 Ohms), I don't hear anything.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #94 of 915
More and more intrigued. Gonna add these to the potential list for my next phones. Also have the Aeon Flow 2 closed and open on the list, as well as the Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation. Can anyone state any comparisons-contrasts with any of these headphones?
I wouldn’t wast my money on the Beyer...

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #95 of 915
I have a similar issue with my Yamaha integrated headphone amp - According to the manual, the output impedance is 32 Ohms. When I use my NightHawk or my LCD-XC (both around 25 Ohms), I can hear a very slight low frequency buzz in the background. With my Grado GS2000e (32 Ohms), I don't hear anything.
Definitely NOT the phones

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #98 of 915
High Definition is right to be printed.

They say...let them settle, take time.
I took three days off of listening.
I missed them while I was gone 💯
I didn’t miss my LCD2, I didn’t miss my Auteur, the only thing I ever miss from the GRADO is the nostalgia of the Grado and that goes away after 7 mins of listening.

Fitting song:
I know you rider
Studio Sessions
The Golden Road 1965-1973

CD source, feeding optically to the RME...

You’re in the studio...the tambourine is perfectly presented. It’s incredible what these do.

They DO perform well beyond their “classification” as mid-range...and anything in that class....anyone that “listens” and has a TOTL will find these a great addition to ”listen”.

I am so pleased that I still feel the same way.

L ❤️ VE these!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    984.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #99 of 915
Compared the Beyerdynamic T1 out of the DX220Max balanced and they sounded better than from other devices, so much so that I thought they must better than the SR2 so using the exact same cable, switched the the SR2. As good as the T1 sounded, the SR2 are better, fuller sound, more spaces between notes, better depth and width and a sound that was reminiscent of live. Then to the details of the Stellia and the Utopia and they are enjoyable, but no better detail and not quite a full as the SR2. I do enjoy all three though. But it surprises me how little the SR2 leak and yet sound like an open headphone. And the SR2 operate loud at high gain at 9 o'clock which is a nice benefit.

Good stuff! Greg Brown never sound better. :^)

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #100 of 915
As good as the T1 sounded, the SR2 are better, fuller sound, more spaces between notes, better

Good stuff! Greg Brown never sound better. :^)

I figured that as those Beyer were too on my radar before my rabbit 🐇 hole with the ZMF I went with, that “bested” those in reviews that don’t come close to these SR2...

these studio tracks are amazing out of the SR2

What’s nice about my RME ADI2 PRO is the independent dual output

So...these up next to my HEDD...the HEDD have a special minutiae and space in their presentation and it is noticeable when going from the SR2 to the HEDD, as Jam said “no better detail”,you’re not missing anything, it’s just different, different presentation...and it’s not a soundstage type of difference...

I feel more “in” the music with the SR2, it’s like with the HEDD I’m listening to the board in the studio and the SR2, I’m “in” the studio listening to the monitors “full” “big”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 23, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #102 of 915
Wow. You guys are really talking these bad boys up. Anyone listened to any hard rock - metal with these yet? Impressions?.... As detailed as possible please 😁
I am waiting for my Burson Audio Playmate to properly judge them.

I can give my impressions. I listen to Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin. If I can be of any help, I'll gladly let you know how they sound with a proper source

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #104 of 915
Listening to Dark side of the moon, balanced, great sound. No collapse of the sound field, space and speed really support this recording.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #105 of 915
Received mine yesterday, burned them overnight, noticed that they are easily driven.
Listened to Fiona Apple's latest as well as Hamilton Leithauser (The Walkmen)'s latest.
Fiona has rich female vocals over varied instrumentation. Hamilton's are more of a rock instrumentation with a vocal style in the line of an early Rod Stewart but not as bluesy. Both albums sounded excellent.
Yes, new toy syndrome, but the sound is better than my recently acquired Dan Clark AEON 2 closed. Bigger sound stage, better low end with great defination and impact. Details are on the same league, with mids better on the SR2. Coming out of a Bryston BHA-1 balanced, fed by a RME ADI-2 Dac from the pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back