iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #841 of 1,046
At home with my single-ended desktop amp I use the iBasso CA01 adapter to an Audio-Technica AT501CS adapter. All good quality adapters but I am not one to go out and compare adapter quality so I try to buy from companies I know deliver excellent products.

Ok, those 2 looks nice! I Will replace the cheap Geekria I formerly mentioned with them. Thanks!

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #842 of 1,046
I would recommend the Linear Tube Audio Micro Zotl 2 with their upgraded power supply. Excellent sounding. I am using that and the MZ3 the MZ2 you can't miss with.

Man, I read all your thread about these 2. As you say there is a big difference... I want just to be sure so I'm going to be quick on this thread. Is that big difference only attainable with better sources than what Tidal has with a better DAC than the $500 Topping DX7s? Or for Tidal and the DX7S would be practically the same between the MZ2+LPS and the MZ3?

The MZ3 looks like the worth it end game for the SR1. For the price... would it be twice as better than the MZ2?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #843 of 1,046
Man, I read all your thread about these 2. As you say there is a big difference... I want just to be sure so I'm going to be quick on this thread. Is that big difference only attainable with better sources than what Tidal has with a better Amp than the $500 Topping DX7s? Or for Tidal and the DX7S would be practically the same between the MZ2+LPS and the MZ3?

The MZ3 looks like the worth it end game for the SR1. For the price... would it be twice as better than the MZ2?
No, unless an amp is terrible, I don't think anything is twice as good as anything and that is very subjective anyway, as to what is 100% better. But the MZ3 refines what the MZ2 already does very well. I think the MZ2 is an exceptional buy for what you get in true high end sound. The MZ3 takes it up some in refining all of that and you get a beautiful package in a chassis in the MZ3. To me, the MZ3 is worth the upgrade. The stock tubes it comes with are NOS and sound great and I don't see any need to start tube rolling. So you can buy it, enjoy it for years and know that you have an excellent preamp or headphone amp in one and neither are compromised in sound. That the SR1 scale up with the MZ3 shows the true ability of both, that the SR1 are truly a high end headphone in a silly low price and the MZ3 is an amp you can stick with with no need to upgrade from, because you are there, the top end.

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #844 of 1,046
How wide and deep does the soundstage reach on the sr1? any details here appreciated. thanks

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #845 of 1,046
So I'm stuck between this and the LCD2C. I'm looking for a more forgiving headphone compared to my Z1R, which can be hot in the upper mids and highs. Anyone know which would be the better option? I have an R2R-11, which is a pretty warm DAC/AMP.

Is the PT1 pads worth getting if I want warmth? They're not on Amazon unfortunately...

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #846 of 1,046
Soundstage width vs HD600 or Nighthawk?

I have HD600 and I am considering buying SR1 and Nighthawk. I like wide soundstage, is SR1 wider, narrower or equal in width to HD600? And what about about Nighthawk, again, is it wider, narrower or equal?

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #847 of 1,046
So I'm stuck between this and the LCD2C. I'm looking for a more forgiving headphone compared to my Z1R, which can be hot in the upper mids and highs. Anyone know which would be the better option? I have an R2R-11, which is a pretty warm DAC/AMP.

Is the PT1 pads worth getting if I want warmth? They're not on Amazon unfortunately...
PT1 still keep sr1 sound warm, still silky smooth.
It enlarger soundstage, detail and tune the sound toward balance fr side.

PT1 compare modded stock pad is not so diffrence. Depending on number of holes and its size, there colder or warmer between two.

I have HD600 and I am considering buying SR1 and Nighthawk. I like wide soundstage, is SR1 wider, narrower or equal in width to HD600? And what about about Nighthawk, again, is it wider, narrower or equal?

If soundstage on hd800 is 10, hd600 is 6 or 6.5, so sr1 will be 7.5 initial.
It will be 8.5 on mod + cb12s cable + pt1 pad.

Overall sr1 then like a hd800s but offset tonal to warmer side and less detail less highs, smaller soundstage, more smooth, less airy. For make a ground breaking bass, sr1 is better

Airy is which I most need on sr1.
Not yet find any way to get more air. It always smooth and politely sound...

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #848 of 1,046

I don't have the HD600, however I do have the HD650 and the Nighthawk and the soundstage is wider on the SR1 by a fair amount !

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #849 of 1,046
I don't have the HD600, however I do have the HD650 and the Nighthawk and the soundstage is wider on the SR1 by a fair amount !

I have the HD600 and the SR1. I can confirm the SR1 soundstage is wider and more capable on any aspect! However, I find myself that the HD600 is easier to pair with a powerful Amp and more forgiving on the source; while SR1 is very easy to drive but very picky, any different DAC and Amp on the chain will change any aspect of the sound, bringing always the best as long as your system can, demanding also the best in sources.

I found myself using more the HD600 with the BH Crack as I don't have a high end Amp that can bring me paradise with the SR1. The SR1 is boring with what I have now. I have read that at least the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 will be enough with the SR1 to have fun, but I'm waiting till the second quarter of the year to see if I better get the LTA MicroZOTL MZ2, the HeadAmp GS-X Mini or I don't know, LOL.

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #850 of 1,046
Interesting...I have the MZ2 and I borrowed a friend's GS-X MK2 for potential purchase a while ago. I had the HD800S at the time and not the SR1. Naturally this is subjective and possibly headphone-specific, but I ended up preferring the MZ2 in terms of tonality and imaging. Both pretty resolving. Don't get me wrong, the GSX II is an end game amp for many, but so is the MZ2 if your price range is <$2K (new MZ2 or used GSX II or new GS-X mini). With the SR1, who knows what the outcome would have been between GSX and MZ2. Maybe it is a better pairing with the GSX, but like many have mentioned in this thread, the MZ2 will be pretty good too. Where the GS-X Mini fits in relation to MZ2 or a used GS-X II is also interesting.

Ideally you can get to a meet or organize a mini-meet and hear all amps up for consideration to pair with the SR-1. For fun, I would like to try a handful of more affordable solid state amps with the SR-1....Gilmore Lite, Liquid Carbon, RNHP, Portaphile, etc. But, that's not a challenge that I would want to fund or write up :)

So many potential options for you.

I have read that at least the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 will be enough with the SR1 to have fun, but I'm waiting till the second quarter of the year to see if I better get the LTA MicroZOTL MZ2, the HeadAmp GS-X Mini or I don't know, LOL.

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #851 of 1,046
I would think the Gilmore Lite would be fine. I would look for low impedance output more so than high power output. I use a balanced solid state amp with 0.6 ohm output and it is anything but boring. Very exciting, very good sub-bass output, detailed without being bright.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #852 of 1,046
Interesting...I have the MZ2 and I borrowed a friend's GS-X MK2 for potential purchase a while ago. I had the HD800S at the time and not the SR1. Naturally this is subjective and possibly headphone-specific, but I ended up preferring the MZ2 in terms of tonality and imaging. Both pretty resolving. Don't get me wrong, the GSX II is an end game amp for many, but so is the MZ2 if your price range is <$2K (new MZ2 or used GSX II or new GS-X mini). With the SR1, who knows what the outcome would have been between GSX and MZ2. Maybe it is a better pairing with the GSX, but like many have mentioned in this thread, the MZ2 will be pretty good too. Where the GS-X Mini fits in relation to MZ2 or a used GS-X II is also interesting.

Ideally you can get to a meet or organize a mini-meet and hear all amps up for consideration to pair with the SR-1. For fun, I would like to try a handful of more affordable solid state amps with the SR-1....Gilmore Lite, Liquid Carbon, RNHP, Portaphile, etc. But, that's not a challenge that I would want to fund or write up :)

So many potential options for you.

That makes me consider now only the MZ2. What it still makes me dubitative, is that it is single ended, while something like the GS-X MK2 is balanced. Did you try the HD800S from the GSX balanced or single ended?

What I expect from the MZ2 is, that even being single ended but outstanding, it would be even better than other balanced HPs that are more hype (with the added balanced feature to alleviate it) than just a fine product?

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #853 of 1,046
There are a couple schools of thought on balanced vs unbalanced setups. There are high end manufacturers making only single-ended products and if it is good enough for them it is good enough for me. I don't mind the power of balanced products but I am also very fine with single-ended products.

I did listen to the HD800S in balanced and unbalanced configurations with different amps including the GS-X MK2. Even going up against balanced amps the HD800S sounded best to me out of the MZ2.

I don't know if you should now only consider the MZ2, but my main point was just to second/agree with your existing declaration that the MZ2 is under consideration. Just giving my experience that the MZ2 is going to be up there in performance with the other top tier amps like the GSX MK2. The mini GSX will appeal to many that are not into tube amps. The Gilmore Lite might be the trick for you until you get a chance to evaluate the more expensive amps. Another important deciding factor can be your future headphone purchases for which one amp may pair/complement better than the other. For me, I would consider a mini GSX or GSX MK2 to complement my MZ2 or spring for a MZ3 :)

That makes me consider now only the MZ2. What it still makes me dubitative, is that it is single ended, while something like the GS-X MK2 is balanced. Did you try the HD800S from the GSX balanced or single ended?

What I expect from the MZ2 is, that even being single ended but outstanding, it would be even better than other balanced HPs that are more hype (with the added balanced feature to alleviate it) than just a fine product?

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #854 of 1,046
Refer to sound of hd800s and kse1500, I finally use :
Screen pin hole mod + stock pad holes mod + pure silver cable.
Cb12s is good but is not as good as silver cable.
Decision between cb12s and silver cable is not easy after kindly listening.
If treble is a set of dots of light then silver bring smaller dot size and brightness increase.
Subtle increase airy and distance to layers.
Try also a silver coated coper and find it is like average of cu and silver cable where sound sig is mixing together.
Cb12s is lean to silver side even it is coper, silver base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back