iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Dec 25, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #496 of 1,046
I already know that the SR-1 sound better to me than the Elear so the Elegia I can pretty much guess which I will like better.

HE-500 never auditioned, curious to do so.
But the one I want to compare it to is the LCD-X (totally different brackets I know but...), I had a good first contact with them.

I am curious at how the SR-1 will scale on the Viva :p

Is the Hansound Zen 8 warmer than EA Ares II 8?

Dec 25, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #497 of 1,046
Is the Hansound Zen 8 warmer than EA Ares II 8?

Yes it is, or rather it’s not as bright :wink:
The Zen 8 is really quite transparent with nice body and weight but not that warm in fact. You don’t get the upper mids boost of the Ares II though (note that I am speaking based on the 4 wires, I haven’t heard the Ares II 8w)

David, you have bad influence on people (or at least at me), every time I read your posts or reviews I have an itch to buy new stuff... SR1 is ordered.

How would you describe the match with WM1Z in balanced mode? Enough power?

I plan to test SR1 against HD800 with the hope to get more musical and versatile over ears that can be used with DAPs... HD800 cables are suboptimal for frequent change and I hope mmcx of SR1 is a better fit to my usage requirements.

Oops sorry for that :p

Me it’s @jamato8, @Whitigir, @twister6 and @jerick70 that had me take the plunge so the dominoes are falling :D

Yeah 1Z in balanced mode has enough power, although the SR-1 scales nicely with more power I prefer out of ALO CV5 in fact. I still need to test DX120 alone and DX120 + CV5 this should be interesting :)

I have never heard HD800, SR-1 will probably be quite different signature wise, other may comment...

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #498 of 1,046
David, you have bad influence on people (or at least at me), every time I read your posts or reviews I have an itch to buy new stuff... SR1 is ordered.

How would you describe the match with WM1Z in balanced mode? Enough power?

I plan to test SR1 against HD800 with the hope to get more musical and versatile over ears that can be used with DAPs... HD800 cables are suboptimal for frequent change and I hope mmcx of SR1 is a better fit to my usage requirements.

Sr1 is not easily predicable about synergy and how it will sound.
Here is what I found : SR1 to sp1k is less than ok, to ak120ii is ok, to iphone 6 is ok, to hdvd800 amp is ok (even feed to this amp by sp1k). And to OTL tube amp is ok, which is predict not good bcs of too low impedance (by specs, my amp required more than 32Omh).
What make it is not synergy well to Spk(ss) ... while spk is neutral to other cans(?). To my ears lowend of spk is gained by sr1 to a level press my ear (maybe I am sensivitive with bass or atleast I dont be familiar to bass more than need).
It comes early very 1st day I used mý sr1. But now burning time is nearly finished, I feel ....the same :D
My sr1 had punched 12 pin holes each side on back pad that cover the frame (not the one of driver) due ti the reason. I can close those but found that is no need.

Iphone6 on sr1 impressed me. If have to chose sp1k v.s ip6 to pair, I chose ip6. Clean out put with out having good extend low end seems suit for sr1 to do a compensation.
Ip6, ak120ii are on that side

Sony 1Z as reviews is on the warm side compare to sp1k. In fact how it will sound with sr1 i dont know.

Sr1 is not same side with 800s so wont be on the side of 800-nons.
800s is less bass quantity than sr1. Mid and bass of sr1 is fuller but treble is less than 800s.
Sr1 is smaller in soundstage but imagine is easy to come in brain, it can make listener forgot headphone, pleasant to the ear even wearing comfortness is not tie with 800s.
Detail and transparence is not reach 800s class, but enough to be happy

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #499 of 1,046
Sony 1Z as reviews is on the warm side compare to sp1k. In fact how it will sound with sr1 i dont know.

I can tell you, it sounds very good, and the 1Z is not as warm as initial firmwares 1.0 and 2.0 now it’s more balanced but still a rich, full and organic sound...

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #500 of 1,046
In fact I am listening the SR1/CB15 with Supersymmetry Dynalo amp and DX208TI as a source through Triton Audio Cable balanced hybrid 8 wire.
I really love very much this combination except I need the combination SQ between perforated (silky smooth treble, upper mid and mid) and stock pads (sub bass and bass).
@davidmolliere and @Roderick do you finally find any better pads like the recommended kennerton vali?

Dec 25, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #501 of 1,046
In fact I am listening the SR1/CB15 with Supersymmetry Dynalo amp and DX208TI as a source through Triton Audio Cable balanced hybrid 8 wire.
I really love very much this combination except I need the combination SQ between perforated (silky smooth treble, upper mid and mid) and stock pads (sub bass and bass).
@davidmolliere and @Roderick do you finally find any better pads like the recommended kennerton vali?

Great thanks for sharing the cable as well :)
No I didn’t try to further pad roll yet, I am quite happy with everything stock right now...

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #502 of 1,046
Do you have pictures of this combination and how it's all connected? Thanks.

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #504 of 1,046
do you finally find any better pads like the recommended kennerton vali?
I did not order vali pads just yet. I'm afraid those might be too too small. Maybe..

Vesperaudio custom manufacturers earpads so that is an option but it propably will cost too much especially if it gets stuck in customs.

Anyone try hybrid pads with sr1? Brainwavz or hifiman focus pads etc?

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #505 of 1,046
I did not order vali pads just yet. I'm afraid those might be too too small. Maybe..

Vesperaudio custom manufacturers earpads so that is an option but it propably will cost too much especially if it gets stuck in customs.

Anyone try hybrid pads with sr1? Brainwavz or hifiman focus pads etc?

You might be correct that Kennerton only makes pads for their headphones. So their partial or hybrid pads won’t work for SR1.
By the way, I did contact Dekoni to ask if they have suggestion of any of their products or will probably make them for ibasso SR1.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #507 of 1,046
Dec 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #508 of 1,046
SR-1 is totally different than HD800S. The SR-1 is better in timbres realism and bass performances, also the fluidity and musicality where as 800S excels at transparency, details, soundstage. It doesn’t mean that SR-1 lacks the details retrieval, it just perform different as in smoother, and more laidback instead of a more forward and aggressive kind from 800S. Both are on the same tier easily with perforated pads *Hence I welcome the SR-1 into my high-end and end-game collection*

Details and transparency of SR-1 will hugely improve with Perforated pads. But ofcourse it makes the SR-1 to be a fully opened back headphones, and sound like one. So I agree with everything that people observe from more bass impact and rumbles with stock pads, since the stock pads isolate sound within the sound chamber from leaking out or taking air in through this chamber. It mimics the closed back chambers, but still have a full open-back-vent.

The SR-1 by definition is hybrid headphones. It is neither closed nor fully opened.

I will be honest here. This idea is very wild, I have never came accross anything like the SR-1. It is uniquely in it own class. While many companies are struggling on how to squeeze every last bit of performances out of either opened back or closed back. You can have both by pads swapping on SR1. Stock Pads (more closed back sound), and you can enjoy it the way closed back would sound. When you compare it to any closed back, the sound performances here is totally high-end worthy. The only thing that bothered me as I have keep on saying is....it defeats the purposes of an open back “sound isolation and privacy”, that your sound don’t leak out, and that you dont bother the person next to you. It still retains the isolation for leak-in, the incoming sound is much isolated. Now, when using perforated pads (opened back sounding), the SR-1 transformed into an open back headphones. There is no hint of it being closed-in or hall-effects, or compressed presentations at all. On top of that, the perforated pads allow SR-1 to utilize the sound chambers the way opened back headphones are designed for! Intake the air, cancel out standing waves and allows better room for better transparency + detail retrieval

I am a fan of opened back headphones, and so since I tossed perforated pads onto the SR-1, I have never gone back to stock pads. But once again, if you enjoy closed-back headphones, the SR-1 from the perspective of closed-back performers will easily leave many things in the dust (except leak out, leakage :D)

Imagine the modules design of DX200 ? Different amp modules has different sound signature ? The SR-1 is almost Modular as the Pads can transform it back and forth from closed-back to opened back with totally transformed sound signatures.

Why have I not thought of this ? Ibasso perforated pads ? Today I received this in the mail. @Paul - iBasso shipped it to me by surprises, and this is like Santa present to my holiday ! It is totally awesome.

*Disclaimer*. These were sent to me out of Ibasso good will, and as a free sample to me. But I can assure you that it does not influence my impressions of SR-1.

1/ better fit than the brainwavz pads

2/ better comfort as it also has angled design ! Improves on imagines, soundstage and cues of positioning

3/ it also improves the bass performances, the one that @singleended5863 is seeking for, more impact and rumbles. Yes, it was carefully engineered for SR1 to perform closer to be an opened back design**

***Perforated pads for SR1 is limited productions and you can contact Paul for inquiries**

On top of that, the CB12S 4.4mm is also an excellent match for the SR-1. The 2 things that makes it worth buying already is

1/ very soft, flexible, lightweight

2/ Microphonic is minimized by a huge margin in comparison to the stock cables. ***sound performances*** ? The SR-1 is sensitive toward cables upgrade and so the differences in sound performances is definitely observable, which I will get into more details later

I enjoy this portable system so much more! It is worth every pennies and some more.

Seriously, for this price, if you don’t scoop up the SR-1, you are missing out so much. I literally meant it.

84D6CB0F-5863-45AE-9C55-61F8A6798BC9.jpeg F29EEB2F-0FEE-4A59-B8FF-8A7821534005.jpeg 551FAC63-4C97-4AE6-AFE9-644E76014DE7.jpeg 535A1D1E-42A5-4FE0-89FB-9A99AF24ECAF.jpeg ECC5E376-3591-45E1-843A-62C232F2BC38.jpeg 574ABD34-B5E2-40BB-A263-194FE32A2F06.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #509 of 1,046
SR-1 is totally different than HD800S. The SR-1 is better in timbres realism and bass performances, also the fluidity and musicality where as 800S excels at transparency, details, soundstage. It doesn’t mean that SR-1 lacks the details retrieval, it just perform different as in smoother, and more laidback instead of a more forward and aggressive kind from 800S. Both are on the same tier easily with perforated pads *Hence I welcome the SR-1 into my high-end and end-game collection*

Details and transparency of SR-1 will hugely improve with Perforated pads. But ofcourse it makes the SR-1 to be a fully opened back headphones, and sound like one. So I agree with everything that people observe from more bass impact and rumbles with stock pads, since the stock pads isolate sound within the sound chamber from leaking out or taking air in through this chamber. It mimics the closed back chambers, but still have a full open-back-vent.

The SR-1 by definition is hybrid headphones. It is neither closed nor fully opened.

I will be honest here. This idea is very wild, I have never came accross anything like the SR-1. It is uniquely in it own class. While many companies are struggling on how to squeeze every last bit of performances out of either opened back or closed back. You can have both by pads swapping on SR1. Stock Pads (more closed back sound), and you can enjoy it the way closed back would sound. When you compare it to any closed back, the sound performances here is totally high-end worthy. The only thing that bothered me as I have keep on saying is....it defeats the purposes of an open back “sound isolation and privacy”, that your sound don’t leak out, and that you dont bother the person next to you. It still retains the isolation for leak-in, the incoming sound is much isolated. Now, when using perforated pads (opened back sounding), the SR-1 transformed into an open back headphones. There is no hint of it being closed-in or hall-effects, or compressed presentations at all. On top of that, the perforated pads allow SR-1 to utilize the sound chambers the way opened back headphones are designed for! Intake the air, cancel out standing waves and allows better room for better transparency + detail retrieval

I am a fan of opened back headphones, and so since I tossed perforated pads onto the SR-1, I have never gone back to stock pads. But once again, if you enjoy closed-back headphones, the SR-1 from the perspective of closed-back performers will easily leave many things in the dust (except leak out, leakage :D)

Imagine the modules design of DX200 ? Different amp modules has different sound signature ? The SR-1 is almost Modular as the Pads can transform it back and forth from closed-back to opened back with totally transformed sound signatures.

Why have I not thought of this ? Ibasso perforated pads ? Today I received this in the mail. @Paul - iBasso shipped it to me by surprises, and this is like Santa present to my holiday ! It is totally awesome.

*Disclaimer*. These were sent to me out of Ibasso good will, and as a free sample to me. But I can assure you that it does not influence my impressions of SR-1.

2/ better comfort as it also has angled design ! Improves on imagines, soundstage and cues of positioning

3/ it also improves the bass performances, the one that @singleended5863 is seeking for, more impact and rumbles. Yes, it was carefully engineered for SR1 to perform closer to be an opened back design**

***Perforated pads for SR1 is limited productions and you can contact Paul for inquiries**

On top of that, the CB12S 4.4mm is also an excellent match for the SR-1. The 2 things that makes it worth buying already is

2/ Microphonic is minimized by a huge margin in comparison to the stock cables. ***sound performances*** ? The SR-1 is sensitive toward cables upgrade and so the differences in sound performances is definitely observable, which I will get into more details later

I enjoy this portable system so much more! It is worth every pennies and some more.

Seriously, for this price, if you don’t scoop up the SR-1, you are missing out so much. I literally meant it.

That is very interesting. The ibasso perforated pads look very nice. I should give a try if they are available on sale. :smile_phones:

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #510 of 1,046

Are these pads made by iBasso now or just a gift to you from Paul from iBasso?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back