iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Dec 6, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #391 of 1,046
Better than any other phone I have and is able to finesse acoustical info, giving a sound I have not gotten before, and more natural sounding than my Focal Utopia. I use the perforated and the stock pads. Anyone who does not get these while there are some available is crazy not to.
Hi Jamato, as someone who has the SR1 and the IT04, how would you compare them sq wise? I mean apart from the comfort issue would you rate one above the other? I had made up my mind that I would go for the SR1 but being semi open I don't want to disturb the Wife too much!

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #392 of 1,046
Hi Jamato, as someone who has the SR1 and the IT04, how would you compare them sq wise? I mean apart from the comfort issue would you rate one above the other? I had made up my mind that I would go for the SR1 but being semi open I don't want to disturb the Wife too much!

I have a problem with my wife too but she told me let her sing is much better than I listen to my music that way! :grinning:

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #393 of 1,046
That is hard to answer. They sound different obviously just from the fact that one is a semi open headphone of superb quality and the other an IEM that is also very good. For sound, I have compared the IT04 to IEMs cost up to 3600, yes, 3600 and found the highs of the IT04 to be smoother and more natural. There are other great IEMs on the market but it gets to be different flavor. The problem with the IT04, if they were more expensive then they might be more competitive because unfortunately many times, price is equated to sound and quality. In this case the IT04 are giving you much more for your money and are really worth more but then so are the SR1. The SR1 performs on the same level as the best I have, which goes to the Utopia, and frankly, are more natural sounding than the Utopia. They remind me some of the R10 Sony but more open sounding. So either IMO, would for sound, give you a good return for the investment. Depending on the source or amplification, I enjoy the IT04 a lot out of balanced but out of a good quality single ended like the P5 amp, the sound is great fun as well. Tip fit is very important. I am lucky and the ones they come with that are installed, work perfect for me. Large bore/grey medium.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #394 of 1,046
So... I am very very tempted by the SR1 (thanks all for your impressions!) cherry on the cake is that they feature MMCX and I happen to have some cables that I'd hope to use...

I know @Paul - iBasso has said it fully compatible with MMCX even if the lock in is not there it should work... this being said, how deep is the socket? Just want to make sure that the cables I have (but mainly the HanSound Zen 8 wires) can be inserted in there :p

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #395 of 1,046
So... I am very very tempted by the SR1 (thanks all for your impressions!) cherry on the cake is that they feature MMCX and I happen to have some cables that I'd hope to use...

I know @Paul - iBasso has said it fully compatible with MMCX even if the lock in is not there it should work... this being said, how deep is the socket? Just want to make sure that the cables I have (but mainly the HanSound Zen 8 wires) can be inserted in there :p

The MMCX bore is pretty big, and if you go for typical MMCX bore for ...iems...say...846 ? It would fit without problem. I tried a cheap cables on it from my newphew and it worked just fine. The only problem is that you may step on the cord and yank the driver out of the headphones.....I am kidding

But for safe measurement, I use it with Cb15

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #396 of 1,046
The MMCX bore is pretty big, and if you go for typical MMCX bore for ...iems...say...846 ? It would fit without problem. I tried a cheap cables on it from my newphew and it worked just fine. The only problem is that you may step on the cord and yank the driver out of the headphones.....I am kidding
But for safe measurement, I use it with Cb15

Ok thanks for the quick reply :)

How is CB15?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #397 of 1,046

Distance from top cover to contact pin is same as length from tip of a 3.5 TRS pin to the ring end point.
About 7mm.
Even short mmcx type for dyi is enough to use on sr1.
And locking is no need, bcs it's tight enough.
The lock of stock cable is no effect, it is free so get out of position usualy happen. No need

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #398 of 1,046
Ok thanks for the quick reply :)

How is CB15?

Great build for the price...the only thing I dislike is the microphonic. It is kinda funny, that when I listen to SR1 and DX200 in bed during early morning like 2am ? I have on super low volume, like 30 or so, and even a blanket slip by my Cb15 and I hear it scratching my eardrums ....It has great dynamic in microphonic ...Kakaka

But if you listen loud, it isn’t an issue

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #399 of 1,046
....It has great dynamic in microphonic ...Kakaka

But if you listen loud, it isn’t an issue

This issue need to be solved for next gen of sr1 (may be sr1se :D ).
Worst I ever touch.
I guess 100 years ago, people might use the cable for calling through distance!

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #400 of 1,046
Distance from top cover to contact pin is same as length from tip of a 3.5 TRS pin to the ring end point.
About 7mm. Even short mmcx type for dyi is enough to use on sr1. And locking is no need, bcs it's tight enough. The lock of stock cable is no effect, it is free so get out of position usualy happen. No need

Hmmm, ok that's pretty deep... hope I can push and lock with that length... that would fit?

fnkBJeyLCGvSTA1IarO3AGBjTHniDN.png

Also if it's that deep, unlocking the MMCX could be an issue, e.g force me to pull by the cable itself, uh uh...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #401 of 1,046
Hmmm, ok that's pretty deep... hope I can push and lock with that length... that would fit?

fnkBJeyLCGvSTA1IarO3AGBjTHniDN.png

Also if it's that deep, unlocking the MMCX could be an issue, e.g force me to pull by the cable itself, uh uh...
Dont worry about that. Pin's jacket will extend out from cover, enough to grip and pull out w/o touching the cable.
What you think is same as I did when I want to hear sr1 sounding with an hi end custom cable ($1200). I talked to a seller : consider you can not take out after pluged in :D

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #402 of 1,046
Dont worry about that. Pin's jacket will extend out from cover, enough to grip and pull out w/o touching the cable.
What you think is same as I did when I want to hear sr1 sounding with an hi end custom cable ($1200). I talked to a seller : consider you can not take out after pluged in :D

That's what I suspected... and that's too bad :frowning2:

Kind of defeat the MMCX advantage...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #403 of 1,046
That's what I suspected... and that's too bad :frowning2:
After demo the cable to me, the sale man use a rubber piece as a pad to get more friction. He pull out flawnessly.
Here is pic for your imagination (red jacket length is what you care)
20181208_004543.jpg

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #404 of 1,046
After demo the cable to me, the sale man use a rubber piece as a pad to get more friction. He pull out flawnessly.
Here is pic for your imagination (red jacket length is what you care)

Ok thanks for the pic, not sure I understand the rubber piece thing though...

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #405 of 1,046
Ok thanks for the pic, not sure I understand the rubber piece thing though...

David, the connector has 12mm metal housing part (aluminum) which stays on outside and 6mm plastic color coded part (black/red) which goes inside the earcup.

ibasso_sr1-x10.jpg

So, if you want to use another IEM cable, you need to have a connector housing which is at least 18-20mm and has non-slippery grip, otherwise you won't be able to remove the cable. I just tried it with one of the random cables and had to use pliers to pull out the connector housing. You can't pull on the cable, obviously. Plus, it's preferable to have a cable without a pre-shaped memory earhook part. Just keep all this in mind man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back