iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Apr 28, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #946 of 1,046
Not sure about @PaganDL, but I've ordered the perforated ones.

Ok then, let me know the update once it arrive, it's worth or not, since it's double the price of PT-1 pads (shipping cost also more expensive to my country compare to ordering through ibasso, about 15 dollar from ZMF, ibasso shipping cost only 5 here), i;m still thinking to consider to buy it or not thanks, i use glassess as well

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #947 of 1,046
kith86 said:
Btw what kind of zmf ori pads that you ordered, is the perforated one or just standard lambskin ?

reiserFS said:
Not sure about @PaganDL, but I've ordered the perforated ones.

Forgot to mention in my intial post, just standard lambskin, I don't like perforated for various reasons.

Sound is similar to stock pads though given better comfort & support from Ori pads though not by much which is quite amusing to me...
Sound 'seems'[I/] slightly wider but this is definitely a placebo effect.
Important thing to note, if you have large ears, Ori pads might be a fiddly fit but easy fixed with slight adjustment when feeling slightly uncomfortable though this isn't really a negative but is slightly distracting.

Hope you both have a great day !

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #948 of 1,046
Ok then, let me know the update once it arrive, it's worth or not, since it's double the price of PT-1 pads (shipping cost also more expensive to my country compare to ordering through ibasso, about 15 dollar from ZMF, ibasso shipping cost only 5 here), i;m still thinking to consider to buy it or not thanks, i use glassess as well
Will do. Got to say, I really love the SQ of the SR1, but they are by far the most sensitive headphones in regards to sealing.

May 3, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #949 of 1,046
PT1 pads arrived some days ago .. new sending record, less than 38 hours from China to Vienna/Austria, wow!
The pads are a must imho, I can recommend them wholeheartedly, they open up the full potential of this outstanding phones, chapeau! :)

May 5, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #950 of 1,046
I am using the SR1 with Whiplash gold/silver cable V2, and the . . . Absolute headphone amp by Manley. EXcellllent. I am also using all Telefunken NOS tubes. The sound is surreal, extremely layered and in this case, I prefer the SR1 to the Utopia and Stellia, though they sound excellent with the Absolute headphone amp. The drive, the dynamics, the clarity the 3D sends chills. Crazy good.

May 5, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #951 of 1,046
20190505_210804.jpg

SR1 has a weak point relate designing.
It is difficult to wash head pad.
Head pad is easily mouldy by 70% air humidity.
Smell also a problem at that condition.
In same room, my hd800s head band and ear cup almost no bad smell but sr1.
Have just finished washing the head band. Color fade in water as deep blue, not black

20190505_210820.jpg

May 5, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #952 of 1,046

SR1 has a weak point relate designing.
It is difficult to wash head pad.
Head pad is easily mouldy by 70% air humidity.
Smell also a problem at that condition.
In same room, my hd800s head band and ear cup almost no bad smell but sr1.
Have just finished washing the head band. Color fade in water as deep blue, not black

I worked professionally with leather for years. You wash it and some die wil leach out, that is normal. Also real leather will mildew some in humid climates, this is normal. They use an Italian leather, that is not a bad design. But just like a fine leather jacket, if it is humid, keep it in the drier environment, drier air. Very simple, keep it clean.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #953 of 1,046
I worked professionally with leather for years. You wash it and some die wil leach out, that is normal. Also real leather will mildew some in humid climates, this is normal. They use an Italian leather, that is not a bad design. But just like a fine leather jacket, if it is humid, keep it in the drier environment, drier air. Very simple, keep it clean.

Washing with light soap at normal water temp., is not a good way.
Melt down material of headband's rear.
I dont change my way of use, or how I am living or buy something to change the room condition ...etc just for a hp.
My hd800s live in same house fine.
There's various weather in each zone this planet.
I dont think ibasso targeted to sale only for certain area

May 5, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #954 of 1,046
Washing with light soap at normal water temp., is not a good way.
Melt down material of headband's rear.
I dont change my way of use, or how I am living or buy something to change the room condition ...etc just for a hp.
My hd800s live in same house fine.
There's various weather in each zone this planet.
I dont think ibasso targeted to sale only for certain area
No, I would not suggest to wash with soap. But they used a high quality Italian leather so just keep the phones in a ventilated area and you should be fine.

May 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #955 of 1,046
No, I would not suggest to wash with soap. But they used a high quality Italian leather so just keep the phones in a ventilated area and you should be fine.
My room is up to 90% humidity by nature. Airconditional can help 15% drier when Im at home and turn it on.
Cleaning method is myself, with considered of chemical action (so just light soap was used). And this is 1st time.
For my 650, 800s soap+50 C warm water is okay.

Sr1, non-removeable leather pad makes cleaning job be inconvenience. And soap will make this :
20190506_015236.jpg

May 6, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #956 of 1,046
@TYATYA,

Agreed humidity is not fun but I would also suggest a leather conditioner as well, something with beeswax especially will help prolong any leather & make it waterproof as well.

Also not a good idea to wash leather, any leather unless absolutely necessary & usually only with gentle warm steam.

Hope you have a great day !

May 6, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #957 of 1,046
20190506_181658.jpg
20190506_181658.jpg
Serious than I guess.
This pic below is what I see today (yesterday till now put it on air filter out port for drying).

Last pic is my idea if they, ibasso can do some holes on the pad.
It is a big pad w/o any hole, and with a white sheet (nylon? Idk the name/word) that I think not good for drying natively.

Summer is comming. Hope you guys to have a proper method to keep clean headband out of hum and sweat!

20190506_173511.jpg

20190506_173539.jpg

20190506_173521.jpg
20190506_181549.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #958 of 1,046
My room is up to 90% humidity by nature. Airconditional can help 15% drier when Im at home and turn it on.
Cleaning method is myself, with considered of chemical action (so just light soap was used). And this is 1st time.
For my 650, 800s soap+50 C warm water is okay.

Sr1, non-removeable leather pad makes cleaning job be inconvenience. And soap will make this :
That is the Edge Coat used on leather to finish the edges. It had to be softened when you washed the headband and that isn't uncommon with soaps etc. I have a pair here that were on Rota Island with me and Saipan and the humidity was 90 to 95% without issue for a couple of months. But you start using soap etc on the band to wash it and you can soften the edge coat used on the leather.

May 7, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #959 of 1,046
That is the Edge Coat used on leather to finish the edges(1).

It had to be softened when you washed the headband and that isn't uncommon with soaps etc.(2).

I have a pair here that were on Rota Island with me and Saipan and the humidity was 90 to 95% without issue for a couple of months(3).

But you start using soap etc on the band to wash it and you can soften the edge coat used on the leather(4)

(1) yes
(2) yes
(3) "w/o issue" you said means no soften of edge coat, or no mouldy of headband or both ?
I know high humidity wont soften the edge. Mouldy is phenomenon with my unit, not yours, at 70% or more humidity.
I dont think the air on island is similar to on land even when they have same % of humid.
Or they maybe same and your unit is clean so no mouldy, my unit need to be cleaned (by proper way) or it will be mouldy

(4) yes. It could be an experience for others who wants to clean the headband.

May 17, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #960 of 1,046
Time for an update: I was among the first to get SR1. After I heard about the PT1 pads, I ordered those straight away. I prefer SR1. While enjoying SR1 I've been working on a comparison review of best $500 headphones. Only headphone in this price range that comes close is Hifiman Sundara.

Sundara has clearer "image", less veil. So does my reference, HD800. HD800 however has better bass... Some people might go, " what!?" but well amped HD800 does infact have a killer bass. Anyhoo... I've compared SR1 to most of the similarly priced competition and HD800 and Audeze LCD-3(fazor).

SR1 and Sundara are way best headphones for $500. I prefer SR1. Here is the reasoning. SR1 leans more to the camp of LCD-3. Sundara is more like HD800. I can't make a difference if I like HD800 more than LCD-3.

Sr1 does have qualities (bass, quick, fast, fat bass, thick mids) as LCD-3. Sundara is just an upgraded HD800/HE560.

SR1 however fills the gap between HD800 as it has dynamic headphone soundstage.

I'm quite inclined to say my favorite is HD800-SR1-LCD3-Sundara.

*I'm partially bias. I have SPL phonitor for hd800, it is like the best solid state amp for HD800. I have gustard h10 for planars, but it's not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back