Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Feb 9, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #256 of 463
I tried PB5 with N8ii last week. I was really surprise with this pairing. I can't remember how C9 sound, but the resolution of N8ii and the warmth of Pb5 really went well.

Two points as major negative:

1) PB5 is not properly isolated. I was using my T8iE and charging pb5 at the same time, and I got shocked. This means you cannot listen and charge at the same time if you are using a metallic iem.

2) Slight sound of tube noise at times were heared when insering 4.4mm plug and/or when placing the PB5 on table.
I use vex 0 shock same conditions you mentioned.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #257 of 463
I tried PB5 with N8ii last week. I was really surprise with this pairing. I can't remember how C9 sound, but the resolution of N8ii and the warmth of Pb5 really went well.

Two points as major negative:

1) PB5 is not properly isolated. I was using my T8iE and charging pb5 at the same time, and I got shocked. This means you cannot listen and charge at the same time if you are using a metallic iem.
The shock was where the MMCX was hitting my ear. It is an electrical shock, faint, but you feel it.

2) Slight sound of tube noise at times were heard when inserting 4.4mm plug and/or when placing the PB5 on table.
Could you please describe the sound difference between n8ii (P mode/Tube/Class A) and n8ii LO+PB5?
Which Gain you have used for LO output?
Thanks.

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #258 of 463
Could you please describe the sound difference between n8ii (P mode/Tube/Class A) and n8ii LO+PB5?
Which Gain you have used for LO output?
Thanks.
I'll bookmark it for two weeks time, as I don't own it, but I plan to revisit it again in two weeks. For LO, I set it to Low.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #259 of 463
I'll bookmark it for two weeks time, as I don't own it, but I plan to revisit it again in two weeks. For LO, I set it to Low.
Thanks very much

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #260 of 463
Is the bass “massive” or is it textured as well? Natural?
Thanks

These are only my initial impressions after approx 10-12 hours of listening.

The Bass is slightly elevated with the Mid Bass being a lot smoother than my 300MAX Ti. There is plenty of texture and natural timbre but much less Mid Bass impact and dynamic punch. This is much more noticeable with recordings that have an emphasis on fast kick drums which come across as being a lot softer with less attack.

However, I have noticed that the Mid Bass control and impact has tightened up slightly in the last few hours. It will be interesting to see what further changes occur over the next 50-100 hours.

The one aspect that really stands out for me is the Sub Bass and how far the PB5 digs down into the low registers. This is quite noticeable and adds some extra note weight and body.

Overall the PB5 excels for extended listening sessions and is quite addictive!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #261 of 463
So bought the PB5 yesterday on an impulse, but I am hoping it's as good as everyone is stating here!

Anyone paired this with N7? Should I be using the LO or PO? Any tips and suggestions are appreciated!

Any headphone pairing you recommend? Miss my HE1000SE, thinking of buying that back, but any other ones? Closed backs are high on the list.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #262 of 463
So bought the PB5 yesterday on an impulse, but I am hoping it's as good as everyone is stating here!

Anyone paired this with N7? Should I be using the LO or PO? Any tips and suggestions are appreciated!

Any headphone pairing you recommend? Miss my HE1000SE, thinking of buying that back, but any other ones? Closed backs are high on the list.

Tested, and loving it!

Use the LO port, but turn on the 'Pre' setting and attenuate there if you want to abide by the 2.5V specified for the input of PB5.

Start low on the volume if you're using the 'Pre' setting. The N7's output is quite hot in the 'Pre' mode.

I did stack N7 with the PB5 and it is incredible... A very different experience to the D16 as a source. The N7-PB5 is a texture king but a bit drier, while the D16-PB5 leads the way for atmosphere, ambience and space. Epic presentations from each, N7 or D16 as a PB5 source will suit different moods of the week. And then I'll have to try D16 feeding C9 next...
The N7 is one of the most insane sources for the PB5, period – but it gives a very very different presentation to the D16 as a source despite them loosely being based on the same kind of DSD DAC architecture.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #264 of 463
Miss my HE1000SE, thinking of buying that back, but any other ones? Closed backs are high on the list.

I think the purple, or stock red with TH909 pad swap, TH900 MKII will be right up your alley.

You'll still need something like PW Audio's Moloch cable to take the final steps to the HE1000SE's tuning.

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #265 of 463
I think the purple, or stock red with TH909 pad swap, TH900 MKII will be right up your alley.

You'll still need something like PW Audio's Moloch cable to take the final steps to the HE1000SE's tuning.
I am quite leaning towards the DC E3 right now! I had Aeon Closed long back and tried Stealths, their fit is amazing, but Stealth sounded very right to me!

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #266 of 463
Tested, and loving it!

Use the LO port, but turn on the 'Pre' setting and attenuate there if you want to abide by the 2.5V specified for the input of PB5.

Start low on the volume if you're using the 'Pre' setting. The N7's output is quite hot in the 'Pre' mode.
Do I have to do something similar for the R6 Pro II and Shanling M9+?

I admit I’ve never paid attention to LO voltages until the PB5.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #267 of 463

AFAIK only few vendors provide adjustable LO like Cayin and A&K
I am not sure but I think Shanling DAPs don't feature true Line Out at all, that means you will end up with not recommended double amping but it can still sound decent.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #268 of 463

I think the official answer is you should for R6 Pro II and whatever else has a variable LO.

Unofficially, do what sounds best to you. Any clipping should be audibly obvious before it gets to levels dangerous enough to damage your PB5.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #269 of 463
These are only my initial impressions after approx 10-12 hours of listening.

The Bass is slightly elevated with the Mid Bass being a lot smoother than my 300MAX Ti. There is plenty of texture and natural timbre but much less Mid Bass impact and dynamic punch. This is much more noticeable with recordings that have an emphasis on fast kick drums which come across as being a lot softer with less attack.

However, I have noticed that the Mid Bass control and impact has tightened up slightly in the last few hours. It will be interesting to see what further changes occur over the next 50-100 hours.

The one aspect that really stands out for me is the Sub Bass and how far the PB5 digs down into the low registers. This is quite noticeable and adds some extra note weight and body.

Overall the PB5 excels for extended listening sessions and is quite addictive!
Thanks a lot.
I’m using the 300max and N30. So highly interesting :)

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #270 of 463
Thanks a lot.
I’m using the 300max and N30. So highly interesting :)

The big advantage of the PB5 is that it presents very different to the 300MAX or my solid state amp. This in turn makes all my headphones and IEM'S present different as well which is an added bonus. Having two completely different sound presentations to choose from is a great option.

And of course, iBasso are offering an amazing promotion deal for existing 'MAX' owners which is a big incentive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back