Ibasso P4 or D2+?
Nov 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheGreat

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
 I'm going to be getting a portable amp for Christmas but I'm not sure which amp is better. Is the P4 worth the extra $70? I can't seem to find a complete review on either one. I'll be using my Ipod Classic 160gb and Ultrasone Pro 900's which I understand don't really need an amp very much but I plan on upgrading eventually.
 So is the P4 worth the money or should I just get the cheaper D2+? Also, is the CM07 LOD any good? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Hey Guys,
 I'm going to be getting a portable amp for Christmas but I'm not sure which amp is better. Is the P4 worth the extra $70? I can't seem to find a complete review on either one. I'll be using my Ipod Classic 160gb and Ultrasone Pro 900's which I understand don't really need an amp very much but I plan on upgrading eventually.
 So is the P4 worth the money or should I just get the cheaper D2+? Also, is the CM07 LOD any good? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

I am dangerously close to buying a second P4 simply to write a review - its that good. If we ignore my colossal ego for a moment, ask yourself :

- exactly what it is you are hoping a portable amp will do for your music
- do you absolutely have to have a portable amp - if not, think entry-level desktop
- what is the opportunity cost of spending the extra $70

Unless you are going without food or shelter, I believe the extra $70 is 100% worth it. You still need to be realistic with your expectations, and that is where I think many of us fall into a rather large, deep hole. Spending $250+ (each) on 3 or 4 portable amps when the sum total would have bought you a very capable desktop amp is, for most of us, a false economy. Just my 2 cents worth.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
I am dangerously close to buying a second P4 simply to write a review - its that good. If we ignore my colossal ego for a moment, ask yourself :

- exactly what it is you are hoping a portable amp will do for your music
- do you absolutely have to have a portable amp - if not, think entry-level desktop
- what is the opportunity cost of spending the extra $70

Unless you are going without food or shelter, I believe the extra $70 is 100% worth it. You still need to be realistic with your expectations, and that is where I think many of us fall into a rather large, deep hole. Spending $250+ (each) on 3 or 4 portable amps when the sum total would have bought you a very capable desktop amp is, for most of us, a false economy. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you for the reply, and I'm not expecting any kind of audio miracles. I almost never listen to music at my desktop so portable is what I'm really after. I don't think an amp is going to necessarily "improve" the sound as much as it is going to refine it. That's what I'm going after, if I want better quality I'll search for more high end headphones, but for now I'm in love with my 900's 
smily_headphones1.gif
. Again, thank you for your input, that really helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back